1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Bit-Tech F1 2015 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 23 Nov 2014.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 4 Jan 2018
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Beeb commentators were saying it was a knock-on from bad decisions made in Qualy, though Merc just generally seemed to have their collective mind elsewhere... they didn't seem to be with it at all...

No doubt Horner will cry in the corner over both of the STR kids finishing in front of the RBRs... plus I can see Horner being shown the door if that keeps happening...

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 4 Jan 2018
  4. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Nearly the whole field pitted on the safety car, they can't all be "stoopid"

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

IIRC the top 10 cars HAVE to start on their qualy tyres.
    If they killed those tyres in qualy, then changing them first chance does make some kind of sense.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The high track temperatures and the almost inevitable consideration that it was likely to rain had a big effect on the race.

For me the race was OK.
    I disagree with the penalties handed out in the race. Those looked like Racing incidents to me.
    Lewis was clearly more confident in terms of negotiating traffic than Nico.
    I also felt that Lewis MAY have had a shot at chasing Seb on the options in the last stint. But the team would know better how worn they were.
    I think Ferrari was confident of their tyre wear and stayed out behind the SC. That's really what won it for them. Their Pace was good all through the weekend, and it's good to see another team up there.
    My suspicion is that Williams will close up to the front a bit as well.
    Time will tell. These first few races are always a bit of a lottery.

7. RedFlames

IIRC they have to use the tyres they used in Q2 [to encourage them to thrash it in Q3 without worrying about tyres], except they used wets/inters in Q2...

8. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Indeed correct they must start on the set they got the fastest time on the Q2, and yes they did use wets so as it was a dry race they went for the tyres used before the rain started during Q2 i think or thats my best guess.

9. RedFlames

IIRC it was wet for all of Q2...

...either way I get the feeling Merc's plans revolved around the assumption it was going to rain during the race [which is why they weren't that bothered about burning through the dry tyres in quali], only it didn't rain...

TL-DR - Merc cocked it up, but I think Ferrari could've won it even if they hadn't...

Also funny that Finger said 'nice that someone beat Merc fair and square' [implying RBR/Ricciardo didn't]...

Last edited: 30 Mar 2015
  10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think we should bear in mind that these were exceptionally hot track conditions. 60°C+ at times

I think the Ferrari was quicker on average over a stint/race distance because it could make it's tires work and last in these exceptional conditions.

Ferrari are closer, but I'm expecting that they'll still be some distance behind in more typical conditions where tire performance is more normal.

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

No, but Merc were the only ones iirc to fit the slower tyres, which confused me, because if it starts to rain they no longer have to use both compounds of dry tyres. So it would have made more sense to stay out and get the best from the ones they had fitted imo.

Overall it was a good race, lots of rookies showing potential, and whilst I think Merc will win the championship again, they'll at least be given a tougher time than last season.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Merc were over confident and overly conservative as a result this weekend. Their use of soft tyres in every session in qualy ensured they got through and got pole position, but left them short on race day (hence using the hards more).

Then in the race their strategy seemed to hinge on having pace to spare over everyone else, which they ultimately didn't have.

I expect that in China Merc will be far more aggressive in their strategy, Ferrari have shown that Merc can't afford to tool around and look after the car this year, it's got to be flat out all the way.

I hope Ferrari have some development to come out of that chassis, it could make the year a bit more exciting. Nice to see Kimi looking like himself again too, last to fourth is no mean feat.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Another thing to consider re:Tyre usage is that front runners normally last a bit longer on a set... It's not much, but it's been a pattern ever since Pirelli took over.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Was there any mention as to why Vettels race suit was so big? if there was I missed it, It looked like he was wearing a deflated fat suit!

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

He lined it with ice cubes?

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Presumably they thought Vettel's ego would be as big as Fernando's and so tailored accordingly, only to realise too late that their assumption was wrong.

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Kimi has always gone for the big race suit look. Maybe he was following his mate.

18. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

maybe he heard Riccardos jibe about sanitary towels and decided to take it to the next level ^_^

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Looks like lewis contract with Merc is pretty much done and dusted 99.6% according to the man himself. That will settle the driver market for a few years.

Unless Nico finds the same form that nearly took him to a drivers title Merc might live to regret his contract offer. Reminds me of Webber was so close to title when Vettel got his and he lost and never really looked the same driver after.

The lack of on track coaching seems to be affecting his confidence. He seemed so dejected to be told if Vettel passes him he's no longer fighting for the race win. Instead of doing something about it he just seemed to not even fight it.

Ferrari are kinda to the tyres and have been for years problem is on most tracks it's not that relivent as they last long enough. The heat made them last shorter so a car that was already good on its tyres could 2 stop. Don't think the Merc could 2 stop either way, they could and should have tried to chase him down in final stint with the faster tyre but guess they did not think it would last the distance.

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

That was also at the time that Bridgestone left and Pirelli joined, suspect that had more to do with it then anything