1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, as i mentioned earlier, when the Delta was available, i did Omega > Gamma > Avenger > Delta. $10 for what i guess would be considered a glass cannon. Its certainly likely to be more useful for what most people are interested in during the alpha stuff.

If you're looking at sticking with 1 ship, i suspect the Avenger would be the best 'jack of all trades' ship for next to nothing.

Oh, also, you'll need to buy something in order to be considered a backer, if all you've done is activate a code you've not directly contributed to the fund, and having 'backer' status has its perks. You get the odd non-essential item, like in-game currency, posters & stuff for the hangar, and access to the 'free fly' ships when they do them, like atm the Gladius is available to try till Friday. The cheapest item is $5 and thats enough, its also the cost of the Avenger CCU, which following the path i listed at the top, turns your Omega into an Avenger, with all the original perks in tact, just a ship-swap (non-reverseable too).

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Handy to know... and yes, all I have is the stuff from the AMD code and a 'holiday wreath'... on the one hand i don't want to lose the omega... on the other hand it's a 'racer' and i want something with some utility... Are the 'Gamma' and 'Omega' the same [barring the name and the latter having the AMD paintjob]?

Also just realised the code was supposed to grant me some in-game funds... guessing they come 'on release' as i've not got them yet...

Might buy the soundtrack when I have a spare tenner...

EDIT: What's the Gladius like? I can acquire that relatively cheaply [~€35 if my maths is right], though some CCU Shuffling [Omega -> Gamma -> Avenger -> 315 -> 325 -> Gladius]... I like the looks of it [i know... buying a ship on looks is never a good idea...]

Last edited: 30 Mar 2015
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Do we have any word if/when the 3rd "starter ship" the MISC Reliant is going to be available? and if we'll see a concept sale for it?

Redflames: Why the Gladius, and not the Avenger? The Gladius is more combat orientated, but the Avenger is the better all-rounder; at least that's how I see it at the moment... I do like the Gladius. Its good to fly, responsive, fast and a good base set of weaponry, with room for more...
    If you're limited to a single ship, you need to decide what sort of game you want to play, now and when the full PU is released.
    If you want to get the most out of AC, then a combat orientated ship is a good choice, but if you want the ability to trade/haul in the PU, then a more all-rounder of a ship is a better choice.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Gladius has a bigger punch than the Avenger, but as above, isn't a very good all rounder for trading, and, right now at least is something of a glass cannon.

5. RedFlames

As i said, purely a cosmetic choice... Plus the PU is as far as I can see, still a fair way away, so was looking for a ship that's suited to the game as it is now, not how it may be several months down the line... because by the time PU comes along I may [hopefully should] be able to buy something better suited to trading...

6. MadGinga

Well then, there are worse choices than a Gladius :)
    Its probably the cheapest, best-spec'ed, dedicated combat ship available. (IMO)

If you're dead set on changing from the Omega, you could buy the first CCU/upgrade (to get Backer status) but not apply it, then try the Gladius out as its in a free-fly week this week...

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I just ruined my life and ordered these:

[​IMG]

Beautiful, beautiful pedals. I've had my eye on them for the last year and a half. My set will arrive in June/July after being hand made :)

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

How much???

Edit: Just found them, not cheap! But they look stunning!

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Rough region of €350 :/

10. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

They look slick as ****........
    :)

11. RedFlames

Paramedics are on standby for your wallet... and for you once you other half [if applicable] finds out :p...

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Beautiful. I have convinced myself to buy a decent joystick but this is next level ****!

The Hotas Warthog looks great, and has a matching price tag! The Saitek Pro Flight X-55 is on Amazon for £143, which seems reasonable? I defer to Tom and Cei's judgement as I have seen you both post bargains in the past.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

£143 for the X55 is pretty good - it was floating around £180 previously. Lowest it has been was £130 on a few sales recently (no idea if it will come back to that price). At £143 I'd be fairly happy with that purchase - I certainly wouldn't expect to see it much lower on a regular basis.

I know I rag on the X55 a lot, but for the price it's the best HOTAS around, which is why the wife has one. The other advantage is you don't need pedals! The problem with the Warthog is that buying the stick alone is pointless, and hence you're basically doubling the X55 price, and then tripling it with pedals.

The MFG Crosswinds are utterly beautiful. Everybody who has them raves about them, but you have the price and the wait (3-4 months minimum) to get them. Mine have to come with a €16 additional adapter to make them slightly narrower so they can fit in the Obutto R3volution pedal tray. I'm moving house this summer, so really looking forward to finally getting my cockpit all sorted. Ultimately it'll end up something like....

- Triple monitor, 2560x1440 or possibly 21:9 ultrawide
    - Obutto R3volution cockpit*
    - Thrustmaster Warthog stick & throttle w/ 10cm extension*
    - MFG Crosswind pedals*
    - Thrustmaster MFDs*
    - iPad Air on articulating mount*
    - TrackIR 5*
    - Corsair K95 RGB keyboard*
    - Razer Orbweaver gamepad*

* = already got/ordered

The only thing I need to decide on is whether I want a low-mounted touchscreen monitor to act as a control panel (like this: http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/cdapex/obutto/mhe_r3v3_zps1e1062ba.jpg) and small touchscreen monitors behind the MFDs.

14. MadGinga

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

15. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

@Red
    If you buy a $5 skin, you'll be a backer, and be able to try the Gladius all week long. The $5 skin you can then melt and spend on whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted. You essentially just need skin in the game to be recognised as a backer.

[​IMG]

This image has a map of what you can CCU to & from. Theres a newer version but i didnt save it, but you could probably find it in google.

You should be able to try the Gladius with credit on your account, upgrade to the Avenger and try that, view it in the hangar, fly it and get a feel for it, and then decide if you prefer the Gladius you just need to add in about $15 i think. I think its $90+VAT now.

Omega is $60/0, so shouldnt cost more than $36, but pay in Euros and save 10%.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Look at this:
    [​IMG]

The community and CIG are kidding themselves if they are still pretending all these ships are a 'donation to make the BDSSE'. Sure, that might be the cherry on the cake, but the cake itself is people wanting to posses every ship because its being marketed to them like an actual product that they absolutely have to have. I think its all got a bit ridiculous and CIG and its backers are walking a very fine line. If they deliver even a smidgeon less than promised, then while I won't have sympathy for those that ploughed £4,000 into virtual spaceships on the hope of a dream (dreams have got expensive!), I also won't be defending CIG if they come out and say 'oh but you all knew it was just a donation'.

Its not a donation, you are a shop, selling a product, marketing a product and you are now on the hook for every dime you've taken to deliver the product.

I know this sounds pretty hostile, and I LOVE everything about the game and the development process so far etc etc, but I am concerned that a lot of people have a lot of money in this game, and with every extra dollar 'donated' the stakes climb higher.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Technically it is still a donation towards development, as Chris has said he wants to spend about $100m all in and done by launch - we're about $22.something million off that right now. Absolutely the money being added now is simply cherries on top of cake and ice cream and all things sweet, which is why I haven't purchased a ship for a long long time (reckon the last I actually put new money in to rather than melting was back at around $35m).

However I do agree, they're putting themselves in a position where they simply have to deliver. Even to that person who "just" bought a Vanguard for £170. That's still a lot of money for a game where the average is around £40 for a AAA release.

I do think CIG will deliver SC, and it will have all the features promised. However they have to hang together cohesively, and that's where I hope they're ploughing in the work. The FPS module I'm pretty confident about, seeing as FPS is what CryEngine was designed to do, and the AC module is demonstrating the flight mechanics as being solid. However it needs the backup of rock solid multiplayer servers, and solid engaging gameplay across all modes. Right now, from what we can see, it looks very promising, but can't be locked down until we are a LOT closer to launch (and several iterations in to PU beta).

Thankfully my flight sim hardware isn't just for SC by any stretch.

18. RedFlames

Well GTA 4 cost $100mil to make [reportedly], GTA 5 $150mil [again reportedly], so CR thinking in the region of ~$100mil isn't that extreme in the grand scheme of things... But, like films it's sometimes hard to see where all that money ends up...

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

God damn it, client corrupted again! now I am re-preseted wit ha 25 gig download...!

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

There is no denying they have done a bang up job marketing and selling a whole lot of hype and concept. To paraphrase Howard Hughes, another legendary designer and character; Robert's whole reputation is rolled up in the damn thing, if she don't fly, he wont attract a penny of pledge money in future.

Having said that, he could simply walk away with a big chunk of cash without caring, and has had other major flops such as that film he made. This game must be costing a fortune to produce, and I believe he wants it to succeed.

I understand and feel the same concern as you do, and it is no wonder we are emotionally invested in this with some of the amounts of money we have laid down, but if they are genuinely "doubling down" and spending the money on the game, not lining their pockets, I will be happy.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2015