1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Elegance by MetallicAcid

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MetallicAcid, 5 Mar 2015.

1. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid What's a Dremel?

MetallicAcid's
    [​IMG]

Thank you to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updates..
    Parts and stuff!

Reserved for last parts update

2. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 3
    PSU shroud fabrication

Hello and welcome my friends! This update is long overdue! I wish to have had all of the hardware photographed and posted in the build log before I got on with the real modding, but it seems that I might have a late sponsor wishing to provide some RAM to this glorious project! The communication is taking a while, so I thought that I would just reserve a post in the thread and edit that once I get the RAM in. ;)

Well, this update is me fabricating a PSU shroud. This design process is just firing from the hip, and finding something that I am happy with on the spot as opposed to the meticulous planning and 3D rendering that I have been known to do. This is because the work computer is a piece of crap and unusable, and most of my free time I have to mod is actually when I am at work (ironically haha!).

I wish to talk you guys through the design process to near completion!

Version 1 of the shroud was with the PSU being at the bottom of the chassis, and the shroud being tall so that I could mount an SSD and do something cool with the sleeved cables. Although I liked this design, I thought that it would make the inside seem very cramped considering that it takes up a third of the inside space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Version 2 of the shroud was created with the thinking that the PSU would be attached to the front panel, lifted up from the floor of the chassis. This is so that full GPU would have been able to be used in this chassis. Then I created this version of the shroud which went all the way to the floor anyways which defeated the purpose of moving the PSU in the first place.

It is really exciting to play around with placing the parts in different areas of the chassis, as one can open up so many new possibilities to improve on the original design or layout. At one point I was going to install dual 120mm fans in the bottom, just because I could.. I decided not to do so for the sake of clean design, and as this PC is such a power easy beast then I do not need the extreme cooling solution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Version 3 of the shroud is with the PSU back on the floor (indecisive much?) and a small shroud that covers just the unit itself. I had the PSU rotated so that the cables would come out of the side of the shroud and back up to the motherboard. I didn't like this version though as it was the version 2 shroud cut to size and bent to fit. It didn't really sit flush with the front panel, and the black mesh didn't work with the overall theme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Version 4 - The final version. This version is perfect :) Sits great, it is flush, cables show great, all brushed... Mmmm :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big reveal coming soon :D

What do you guys think?

I have made sooo much more progress already to show, like a new power button, custom cables, new case feet and much more, and will get some more updates out for your reading pleasure as soon as I have the time! Stick around :)

Kind regards,
    Justin "MetallicAcid" Ohlsen

3. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 4
    Lots of modding!

Hey guys and girls!

I have a nice sized update with lots of different modding :) Here you will see the installation of a new power button, new custom cables for the PSU, new case feet and cutting a larger hole into the motherboard tray for the CPU cooler bracket!

So, lets start with the new case feet!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up we have the motherboard tray cut out, which allows for the bracket of the CPU cooler to sit without pressing against, and flexing the PCB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I bore out the hole to a larger diameter, then install a 16mm vandal switch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last up I create some custom length cables. Fine tuning will come in a later update, as well as some gorgeous cables sleeve :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates coming up real soon guys, so stick around :)

Kind regards,

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

You know what I love about this build? The modest hardware. Now I love crazy builds with loads of GPUs and general excess like most computer nerds, but you can't win many arguments with them. I've noticed that in many forums people automatically associate a cool PC with blowing loads of cash. Whilst this is invariably true if you commission somebody else to do the work for you, it doesn't have to be the case for the modder themselves.

What's great about builds like this is on the surface people might call the cost card, but you can just retort saying "Nope, just time and effort my friend". Curious to see where you take his one, your builds always turn out really well!

HandMadeAndroid likes this.
  5. SiberianGhost

SiberianGhost What's a Dremel?

I'm totally agree with you, you don't need a lot of dollars in hardware to make a good modding.

This kind of build is great to see because you can make one with and creativity and current hardware.

Subbed

Sent from a parallel universe

6. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 4

Too many mods to specify a title too!!!

Hello and welcome!

I have been very busy with the Elegance project, trying to wrap things up and get it completed. There are a couple of things left on my list to do, but nothing too major. I am slowly getting around to posting the images up on the net for you guys to see, so bare with me during this process!

There are a few things that I have been working on that I would like to show with this update, so in normal fashion I shall name what it is that I have done with a brief description, then reveal the photos of that work. Please enjoy!!

Front button modding, making some custom cables which were perfect in length. These have been sleeved, but that is for another update!

[​IMG]

Next up, I sacrificed an unused GTX780 reference cooler, and reused the aluminium circle from the fan on my Cryorig QF120 CPU tower fan. Stylish ;)

[​IMG]

I noticed that the inside of the Metis chassis was unbrushed, so I took out the front panel, gave it a brush and clear-coat and reinstalled it. Looks sweet!

[​IMG]

As much I love the OCZ SSD for it's documented reliability, I love it's aluminium shell even more. So I removed the sticker and gave that a hit with 80grit sandpaper and clear-coat as well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but defnitely not least is the massive window modding that I have completed for this project! These two windows give a fantastic view of all of the parts and custom sleeving, and look great to boot! I am really happy to have had you - the community help me with the decision of which design would be the most original and best looking. You guys really know something nice when you see it!! Final reveal of the window mod will be revealed with the final images when the project is completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next update will be presented within a week or so, and will feature a new sponsor and some sleeving goodness! Let me know what you think of the project so far, and what I can do to make it even better :)

Thanks for reading,

7. MetallicAcid

Thank you for understanding Maki role. I have had alot of people saying that I should upgrade the GPU or the PSU etc. etc. but why? I like the hardware in this system, and I do not feel the need to fill it with bleeding edge hardware that will probably just go unused and depreciate in value.

I have made many high end PCs as well, but in this project, I just wanted to let the modding speak and not the parts themself :)

And thank you Ghost. Welcome to the party!!

/J

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I really like the look of this and the way it's going. That PSU cover looks superb.

9. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Looks amazing so far Justin! :jawdrop: Love the design!

10. J-Lyons

J-Lyons What's a Dremel?

I love the window design.

11. leonetu

leonetu What's a Dremel?

That's a 'panoramic' window - nice! 'Would love to see that flushed and installed from the inside.
    Subbed!

12. MetallicAcid

Thank you everyone! Alot of planning went into getting the shapes and feel right. I did consider installing the window on the inside but decided I wanted the industrial feel, and instead went with the outside complete with cheesehead screws.

When the final images are revealed, I am sure you'd might like it leo :)

/J

13. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

I really like where this is heading. I can't wait to see what else you got up your sleeve :D Also as people are saying the fact that it's mainly made out of budget hardware is really nice. Plus the parts will be enough for about 90% of people's gaming needs, so why "waste" even more money on hardware :thumb:

How do you make those nice cutouts in the aluminium? Just drilled a few holes with a 10 mm drill and then cut it out with a good old jigsaw or what? I'm so tempted to make a small ITX gamer for LANs myself.

Mod on! :rock:

14. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Great work here Justin, as usual.

15. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 5
    Reveal for the custom PSU shroud
    Sponsor update
    Custom cables

Well hello there friends!

I have another large update for you guys, and this time I have the reveal for the custom PSU shroud, the custom sleeved cables, and a sponsor announcement!

With this update I would like to introduce Ultimate Personal Computers as a sponsor, who have donated a generous amount of sleeving and extra little bits and pieces needed so I can make my custom length cables look the best in the world. I have actually chosen instead of taking them on their offer as I believe that Adam's Aegis sleeving is the best to work with, and is just as pleasant to work with when I compare them too MDPC sleeving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up I have the reveal for the PSU shroud which I have made from Aluminium, and hole mesh. This shroud is made from a single piece of Aluminium, and has been given a brushed finish so that it matches the outside of the chassis. I have also given it a clear coat so that it protects the shroud from oxidization and scratches.

There is a hole mesh which has been brushed and clear coated as well. This is to give a nice design feature, but also to allow airflow to the 80mm fan located on the PSU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now just a little text update on what is coming up in the next update: I am currently working on the floor panel, which will be of the same design as the PSU shroud, and I am also working on a panel which sits beside the motherboard, and behind the PSU shroud. These panels will be installed so that there is almost no visible seems, and give a nice overall classy look to the inside of the chassis.

I will soon work on a custom GPU backplate, and a custom panel for behind the motherboard. I will then go ahead and start installing the hardware and wiring up some LED lighting.

What do you guys think of the project so far? Please let me know!! I am always trying to think of new and fresh ideas to make my modded projects stand out from everything else in the world! :)

With kind regards,

16. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 6

This was supposed to be the last update, but I accidently thought of more things to fabricate.... :)

Hello and welcome again to Justin's house of madness, where I continue to make my own life difficult and come up with more and more ideas that only prolong the finish date of this modding project!! Haha ;)

Every time I look at what I have created so far, I always look and most of the time find more things to do to this project. If I continue like this, I will never be finished!

Todays update includes several new features, all hand made and fabricated from 100% recycled materials from my workplace. Not only are they very nice, they are also environmentally friendly! But enough jibber-jabber from me, and onwards with the update.

First up we have another custom cable. This time it is a SATA power cable, which is just 7cm long

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, I fabricated an aluminium plate which blends the Cryorig H7 CPU tower into the overall design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I installed the OCZ Arc100 SSD

[​IMG]

I fabricated a GPU backplate/shroud thingy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am currently working on a backplate which covers the CPU towers support plate, and which will be visible through a windowed side panel. Design that will appear on this panel is not finalized though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As work continues, I find myself thinking that I do not want for this project to finish. I am having way too much fun with it :) Anyways, thank you so much for reading and I hope that you have enjoyed this update.

Kind regards,

17. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Justin
    Your work is simply amazing- so clean and concise- ideal in my eyes
    Just one thing- the fan cable on the cpu cooler- as nice and purple as it is- I luuuuuuurve purple- is it not possible to rotate the fan so the cable is hidden or ignoring my anal ness, you might like it.
    Anyway, keep up t'good werk

18. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

sooo cleeeeean!
    looks nice :)

19. MetallicAcid

Thank you for the kind words Knacker!! :)

I have had this fan cable out of sight, but in the end decided to have it showing the way that I have for the sake of it being something that not many people have shown.

Sorry if this doesn't appeal to you, but I personally like it, and to me it looks so awesome when looked at through the windowed side panel :)

Cheers!! :clap:

/J

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

This rig needs more luv.:D