1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

Mindfulness in Plain English.

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I just finished Benedict Jacka's Hidden, which I ploughed through in one go, and could do with re-reading the previous books; and Kevin Hearne's Shattered, which kept me up into the wee small hours of the morning.

3. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

The Feynman Lectures
    I gotta stop reading this stuff!!!!!!

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just started I Am Pilgrim after hearing nothing but good things about it, enjoying it so far.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I've read all of his books - amazing man, amazing life, amazing science...and bongos :D

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Really, really enjoyed it. A lot of fun to read, especially the... nope, not going to ruin it for you. :D

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Finally finished The World of Ice and Fire. It was quite a chore to get through personally. It's basically a history book for the series, which I knew going into it, but I really struggled to get through it. There are just soo many "significant names" and it's very easy to lose track.

Next up I'm either going to read The Tales of Dunk and Egg also by George R.R. Martin or The Liveship Trader Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

8. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I always find it hard to discover good sci-fi. Some good suggestions in this thread

I have read a few of Iain M Banks' Culture series books, all are good, but I would definitely recommend The Player Of Games (Board games in space) and Excession (super intelligent AI power struggles)

If you fancy some classic sci-fi, Phillip K Dick's books are really good and pretty unique. Ubik is possibly my favourite - a really fast paced novel that is sort of about time travel. One thing I find quite entertaining about his books is how the American vision of the future from the 60s and 70s is so different from the actual future we live in now - flying cars, vid-phone booths and laser guns. It's like an old fashioned future where the internet never got invented. Do androids dream of electric sheep is obviously good as well.

And if you haven't read 1984 then you should, I would genuinely say that it is an 'important' book, and it's weird how up to date it seems. Apart from the lack of computers or the internet it feels like it could have been written yesterday.

Also, apologies if this is considered spam - I genuinely think people here will be interested, but mods please delete it if is breaking any rules...

My wife recently published her first novel and it is currently FREE on kindle (today and tomorrow). It's a sci-fi / technothiller about two game developers who create a game that takes on a life of its own.

Description:
    "Networked is a fast-paced sci-fi meets psychological thriller that deals with diverse topics from artificial intelligence and video games, to relationships and mental health. Told from the perspective of video game developer Nick, the story focuses on his encounters with a strange entity calling itself "Interface", who has taken over his game. As Interface's actions take increasingly dark turns, the impact is felt in his relationship with best friend Dan and wife Lily, who has a history of depression."

I have read it a few times now and always really enjoy it - it's fast paced and engaging all the way through but also I also found it thought provoking and even emotional at times (which is quite rare for me!). If you like the sound of it then you can download it for free here.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just finished I Am Pilgrim which I enjoyed, got The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell (along with some others) for Christmas so I'm tempted to read the whole Saxon series again.

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

The Stand Stephen King

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Lee Child, Jack Reacher, onto number 10 in the series

12. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I'm interested to see what you make of it. I love apocalyptic fiction, but I found it pretty dull, and I'm a fan of long books. It seems to be very highly regarded though, I just can't fathom it.

13. mansueto

I've actually put The Stand on my reading list. Had a friend recommend it a few weeks ago.

I read the 3 "Tales of Dunk and Egg" novellas by George R.R. Martin over the last 3 days. About to start the Liveship Trader trilogy by Robin Hobb.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I read The Stand about three or four times already. Still love it. I am a King devotee, though. Maybe take that with a pinch of salt, I'd say. It is quite slow, but so are most of his long books. Obviously it is pretty outdated today, but it still paints an interesting picture of 'what if...', although nowhere near the realism of something like Robert Harris' Fatherland. It is fun to take a look at this improvements over the years. Say, from The Stand to Under The Dome. Both novels are, in a way, similar in setting, yet King uses his biggest strength (characters and their development) far more efficiently in the latter. Shame about the final scene, though.

Back on topic:

Just finished the second book in the Maze Runner series. Same flaws as The Hunger Games, same strengths. Guess I'm just twice the age of the targeted audience, still enjoying it.

Next up is, obviously, book #3 in the series, then Selling Hitler by Robert Harris.

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Enjoying The Stand so far (158 pages in)classic King feel to it.

16. asura

asura jack of all trades

Just finished Richard Phillips Rho agenda trilogy. If you're a teeny bopper or like lightweight fiction (science-ish) then give it a go. Not one I'll bother re-reading.

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Last week I finished Alex Ferguson's autobio, I've done Guy Martin's this week. I think I need to try something different.

18. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Currently reading The Expanse Book 1 Leviathan Wakes and The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear.

19. mansueto

Finished the 1st book in the Liveship Trader trilogy (Ship of Magic) in just under 2 months. I just found it very underwhelming after going through Hobbs first trilogy which was Farseer trilogy. 1/2 way through book 2 in a month, and still finding it a bit tough to get through. Everyone says it will get better, and most of Hobbs books take place in the same universe, so wanting to get through them chronologically.

I don't HATE the books, I just find some of the characters rather frustrating, and I wish the pace was a bit better. It just hasn't pulled me in like other fantasy books do.

20. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Consider Phlebas.

I've actually been a bit bad and gone backwars on Banks.

I've read the latter 5 of the culture series and decided to go back to the beginning, to do it properly.