1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Been through my two sets and they are both complete - none missing, no duplications. :)

2. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Good news. Expecting a Saturday delivery so will check them on arrival

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Is anybody getting the Triumph Adler GMK Keyset? I'd be well up for it if I could buy just the keys needed for a 60% board, but $99+ shipping for a keyset...ouch.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

It's all about perspective I guess - for a GMK keyset that's exceptionally cheap. The Dolch buy was a good price in my opinion and that was about £120 + postage.

5. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

It is cheap for GMK. Uneven bottom row though... design fail. Should be A or B for all not a mix, if you ask me. The way it is only winkeyless has a uniform profile. Suppose if you've only got a 60% it's not an issue.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

8. GeorgeK

I've not heard of them - I can't find anything right now but I'd guess from the manufacturer code that it'd actually be UK layout rather than ANSI

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So ISO as opposed to ANSI?

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

£120 for a keyset? :jawdrop: Fook me sideways. I knew that GMK had acquired original Cherry tools and molds but I didn't expect their keycaps to incur such a high premium. I suppose they do it because they can, and the quality means that people are happy to pay. I feel sorry for Signature Plastics. :D

I'd consider £100 a lot for a mech keyboard, which is why I've always kept it well below that - £69 for my first, the TK; then £62 for my current XT; and £80 for the V60 which is my most expensive yet (justified because I'm likely to sell the caps, but it depends whether or not I like them). My bro got his G80 in the late 90s for forty quid. Haha!

11. GeorgeK

Oops - that was meant to say $120 but even still, by the time I'd bought some extras with it, paid postage, paid the groupbuy fee the actual bill came to $170 which is about £120 haha... The quality is like nothing you've ever typed on though...

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Unless you've used original Cherry doubleshots, in which case I know exactly what you mean when you say quality! :)

On a related note, why oh why are Taihao keycaps so hard to buy in the UK? I got my white-on-red set from OCUK at the very reasonable price of £26 (iirc) and they are amazing keycaps for the money, but it's sad to see no stock of the variety that Taihao produces (for example the white-on-purple set... where the hell is that?!).

13. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Doesnt feng sell the tai ho sets on ebay

14. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

They've come down a bit since then, this latest buy is £77 inc postage. Assuming you avoid a customs charge. I think the prices are so high because their runs are so limited compared to their other clients. Large OEMs order 10,000's at a time, whereas the Geekhackers are asking for runs of +-500

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Not sure - the only Taihao sets I can find on ebay are £33 (total rip-off) and there are only white, red and blue sets. The more desirable colours (green, light green, yellow, light blue, and PURPLE!) aren't available here for some reason, but I'm determined to get a set (or two, if I can).

£33, that's gotta be a tidy markup, and almost the same price as a Ducky ABS set...lol.

16. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

B7ad on GH has dolch, granite and olivetti taihao sets for £17, he's got a thread in classifieds. He's in the UK also.

17. GMC

GMC Minimodder

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Anyone know where I can source myself a set of Model M keycaps?

19. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

For IBM M, buy broken one for cheap off ebay, or Unicomp is pretty much your only choices.

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Awesome, thanks. The Olivetti set looks real nice but I was hoping for white-on-colour caps for my board, something like purple or green. I'll have a think about it because I may end up keeping the caps that I got with the V60 and I don't want to have sets that I don't need.

@GMC, thanks for the link but it's not a local seller. I've used USPS before many times and sadly there's a pretty hefty handling fee at this end of the transaction, courtesy of ParcelFarce. I'd sooner buy from Europe.

On a different note, being back on MX blues with this gorgeous V60, I'm reminded just how much resistance these switches have compared to browns. It's not a big jump but it's definitely noticeable. Oh, and did I happen to mention that this V60 is gorgeous?!!!