1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Yeah showing as sold out now.

2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

well that sucks will keep an eye out and grab some when back in stock

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I noticed that when I clicked on the link but I assumed that it applied to us non Geekhackers lol. Thanks anyway.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2015
  4. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

damn, could use one of them too to get my numpad working with the new motherboard.

i'm all for getting rid of legacy connections to simplify hardware, but not when it inconveniences me slightly :(

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Due to Dogbert666's generosity (thanks! :thumb:), I got my first ever mechanical keyboard just under a month ago (argh, has it really taken me that long to post?!), and I promised to post some photos/comments..

I am absolutely loving it. I now hate my keyboards at work with a passions, so very soggy :(
    Had a bit of a 'mare when I first got it, must have hit some daft function combination, as every other letter was repeated 10 or so times, but after restarting the PC it was all gravy. :rock:

Also, photos...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

Where is the best place to buy UK layout backlit custom keysets?

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

There aren't all that many backlit custom sets, to be honest. Most of what you can get is no better than the cheap caps that come on backlit boards. There's been a Massdrop for backlit PBT doubleshots recently, I think, but beyond that nothing comes to mind.

I've ordered a ton of keyboard stuff recently... I should probably stop spending money :p Should be some IMSTO caps arriving this week :D

9. Bradley8988

Yea i saw them on massdrop but thought they were all the USA layout with the small enter key. I want to pimp my K95 abit but dont want to lose the backlit key feature.

10. Yslen

The K95 will be hard to replace caps on anyway, as the spacebar is a totally non standard size. Rest of the bottom row is difficult but just about possible, but again it's difficult to recommend any back light compatible caps as they're almost exclusively thin abs like you already have.

11. Bradley8988

Ah I see I didn't know the spacebar was non standard. If not backlit what are good places to get uk layout keys from?

12. Yslen

Yeah the K95 has a 6.5x spacebar, with the standards being 6.25x or 7x.

Without being able to change the spacebar you're very limited, keycaps-wise. There aren't that many resellers in the UK anyway, though places like overclockers do carry a few sets they're not really an upgrade.

Don't want to sound like I'm trying to put you off here... it's just very difficult to find caps for a non-standard layout board. If swapping caps is something you'd like to be able to do the easiest first step is to change to a different board or pick up another one.

13. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking of getting another, so with one thing on mind and that is to swap caps, which boards would you recommend/mention that would be suitable for that task yet while being either full size or TKL?

Not too fussed on keys for this one, though budget will have to be kept in mind, but saying that caps aren't cheap. :sigh:

14. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

and so it begins :D

i started with a K60 and loved it, so i switched to a Filco so i could change the caps up, and never went back from cherry profile.

backlit caps are a pain to change up as Yslen says, in most cases you wont find better than what you've got. fingers crossed it will improve as backlit boards become increasingly prevalent.

15. Yslen

The easiest layout to get caps for is the standard US ANSI layout. TKL or full size usually doesn't make a difference, so you can take your preference there.

Filco are the classic suggestion, but there are quite a few options. The CM Quickfire Rapid-i is standard, as are Cherry G80-3000 series (although modern cheap ones are a bit flimsy). The CM Quickfire XT is the full size standard from coolermaster, I think. Then there's ducky, most of those are standard too, though finding an ANSI one can be hard over here.

I'm sure others can jog my memory, I'm sure there are more!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

16. Bradley8988

Ok thanks mate. Although ideally I would change boards ive not long had this K95 back from RMA so seems a shame to sell it for what would be peanuts just for the sake of different keys. Thanks will come back to this thread in the future when i consider changing again.

17. Yslen

Fair enough, hope I was of some use! If we're lucky corsair will catch on soon and the next K-series board will have a normal layout... but I've been thinking that for a few years now, maybe it's time to just let it go :D

18. Bradley8988

Yea u were mate thanks.

19. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Was thinking the Duckyswould be on that list as would the Filcos, miss my Majestouch-2 and Ducky TKL, both were sold on here, Gareths got the Filco and the Ducky's been passed on a fair bit and now possibly with Margo. :D

20. Yslen

Miss my ducky. Can't remember who has it... Kronos maybe? I've got George's model m though, and two of shrop's cables... it's fun being a small community :D