1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

There are a lot of nice keyboards changing hands in this community, and that may continue if I decide to sell my XT with browns. The V60 I now have was previously used by four other forum members, lol.

2. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Check mass drop to see if they are still running doubleshot pbt caps for backlit boards. They are OEM profile so you could get a set and just not touch the bottom row of the k95. It would match up in terms of key heights and they are good quality.

They've done 2 runs so if the drop is finished, vote and they might do a third.

3. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Anybody use a HHKB? I have a Pure Pro with Blues and love its size. The HHKB has interested me for a while but never ever had it in me to spend that much on something without the arrow keys...

How did anybody get on moving away from normal arrow keys, to the layered arrow keys. I'm a sys admin so generally use arrow keys quite a bit. Having read that the HHKB is optimised for *NIX users im intrigued. Anybody love/hate it?

Cheers
    William

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I can't vouch for HHKB but I'm currently getting used to my V60 (also blues) which has layered function keys and also layered arrow keys. It definitely takes getting used to because you need to get into the habit of holding down the Fn key to access the hidden layer, but it's doable with perseverance and I imagine you'd eventually be able to do it without looking.

I use Flash a lot and I need F5/F6/F7 all the time, and with the V60 it's definitely not as straightforward as stabbing the key on a full size keyboard, but the compromise is how much space I now have on my desk - well worth it IMO.

It all comes down to what you want the HHKB for and whether or not it offers worthwhile gains over what you're currently using.

5. zedshead

zedshead What's a Dremel?

6. GMC

GMC Minimodder

The function based cursors will never be as natural as dedicated ones, but I manage to get around excel fine.

Is HHKB expensive for what you get - Yes
    Is if value for money - will need to keep it a few more years to see on that
    does it put a smile on my face still after nearly 2 years? - Yes

I doubt you'll find anyone who has one that doesn;t like it....:thumb:

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Im torn on this one! will just need to poke about see how much they are going for online. Will need to decide! Im stuck in limbo right now. Cheers!

8. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

HI! :jawdrop:

Physically, I don't have a problem with them, topre switches are what they are and I'm not going to make a case for them as it's totally subjective, the construction of the board seems pretty good and the caps are really nice. To be fair, my problem with the board isn't actually with the board per se, more its something I've gotten used to on all the other boards I own that makes using the HHKB a pig. And it's the function layer.

All the boards I use (there are about 6 regularly) have the same function layer, be they 60%, tenkeyless or some strange ergonomic variation and that function layer is based around the philosophy of not moving away from the traditional home row. My main function layer keys are where the control keys usually sit (I map capslock and the right menu key to control) so I can edge them with the side of my wrist whilst typing without moving my fingers. I also use the key in between left shift and Z on ISO boards as a 2nd layer key.

The fact that the HHKB has none of these keys means I can't use my "default" keymap and have to conform to the HHKBs function layer which, IMO, doesn't make sense. They got some things right, with the backspace and control positioning and I can even get around the missing |\ key in the bottom left but the missing "control" keys kill me. That, coupled with the fact that I have to move my right hand all the way over to the far right hand side of the board to get at the navigation keys means that I don't think I'll ever be happy using it. Infact, the HHKB is the reason I would never again buy a board that isn't 100% hardware configurable (from firmware to swtich positioning) so if nothing else, I kind of like it for that reason.

I'll never get rid of it as I'm too sentimental (and I've spent too much trying to get it to a state where I can use it comfortably at this point what with the replacement controller and caps) but I only ever break it out for a bit of a novelty.

That said, they are remarkably popular and those that do like them tend to really REALLY like them (at the top of their lungs, ad nauseum usually :D) so they must be doing something right.

tl;dr - I don't like the HHKB, because it isn't one of my other customizable boards.

9. GMC

GMC Minimodder

:duh: I knew as soon as I posted that, someone would turn up. :eyebrow:
    You describe quite specific requirements that are, shall we say, more proscriptive than most peoples. I'm surprised you considered, let alone bought one if you need a key in the bottom corner?
    Getting rid of the bloody thing was a selling point to me so I have somewhere to rest my pinky knuckle. (not sure what else to call it where the pinky joins the palm.)

@Will_123
    some people don't like them, some do - moral here seems to be: Do you know your requirements and can the HHKB deliver on those. If you are not locked into a layout then it might be for you. If you're locked into something then look carefully at HHKB to see if it will allow you to work as you want.

10. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

There are dozens of us :D

This was the point I was trying to make, I kind of went off on a bit of a rant...

11. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Additional thought. HHKP JP edition might be an answer if the HHKB Pro 2 doesnt work for you

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So I took delivery of my Taihao sets today. I decided to install the Dolch on my XT without the black keys, and I really like it; it's a shame I'm not feeling love for browns at the moment.

I'm not so sure about the Olivette but it's always nice to type on new keys, and the space bar feels amazing. :D

On a side note, does anybody here have a lambda novelty key spare?

[​IMG]

13. GMC

GMC Minimodder

14. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I actually like the look of the nano. 60% width for maximum mouse-room, but with f-keys.

15. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

V60s, V80s and wrist rests are in. going to see if I can get some more pics of the V80 tomorrow; first impressions very good! :D

16. Yslen

Can't decide what to do about granite on massdrop. Will be ages before delivery, with so many orders, and I have other sets coming that will give me what I want from granite... but argh the sense of missing out! They are nice keys.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

17. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

Sorry if I haven't read this properly at all but whats the make and model of the bottom keyboard?

18. Yslen

Hard to tell from that angle, but I'd guess a poker or kbp V60.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

19. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Sorry for the late reply, I've not been getting emails about thread replies from bittech for some reason...

TBH, my HHKB experiment is over...You're right in that my crazy specific requiriements meant it was unlikely that I was going to get along with it, but a) I got it before I had these requirements (infact, the HHKB was the boards that made me realise how much I used the missing keys) and b) I had to find out for myself what the fuss was about (plus, I snagged one for like €100 so it was too good to pass up :D). I could go a get a JP version, but again, its dumping money into something that I'll be bending to fit my purposes rather than going with a new custom with a layout and firmware I can taylor to my own needs.

I'm in a place now where I know exactly what I want in a board so I'm not going to pour any money into comprimise boards.

Saying that....

I do like the look of the Yoda, reminds me of a board called the Miniguru that has been in the pipeline for about 100 years. Not sure about that Noppoo though, I guess its aimed at gamers that need F keys or something.

20. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I'm looking at getting a mechanical keyboard as I'm fed up with how rubbish my Razer Arctosa has got (keys sticking etc).

I've had a look through this enormous thread but don't I can't make up my mind.

I will be using it for both gaming and typing, so browns?

What I'm looking for:
    - UK ISO layout
    - Full keypad
    - Budget wise, I'm happy to spend around £100, will go higher if need be.
    - Aesthetics wise, preferably understated with the case tight around the keys.

Thanks,

Dave