1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Hmm maybe I'm listening to it in the wrong way then. Think I'll try again when Mrs brings my car home (whenever thats going to be)

Might help to perhaps play it on a decent set of speakers.

2. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

very brave of you to buy an album without listening to it in full first :D

haven't done that in years...

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It's The Prodigy! You just order that kinda stuff! ;)

Favourite tracks: Ibiza & Rok-Weiler.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

The Lansky Deluxe Knife-Sharpening System. Years of laziness have taken their toll on my poor old Leatherman Charge Ti, and I hadn't realised quite how bad the main blade had got until I compared it with some of the newer knives I've bought. So, a full-set honing kit to reprofile the blade and get it push-cut-sharp again was in order, and the Lansky Deluxe set was on offer. It's a necessity, really: the Charge Ti uses 154CM steel, which holds an edge wonderfully but is a bit of a bear to sharpen if you let it get as bad as I have. Looking forward to giving every knife in the house a proper edge!

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

The Lansky systems are not bad although I could never get along with mine very well. Never could get things as sharp as I could freehand, even if the grind angles were far more consistent. Swapped over to a cheap Chinese clone of the Edge Pro Apex kit and I can now get edges that look like this:

[​IMG]

And can shave curls off the side of a hair:

[​IMG]

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Blimey, that is impressive. Got a link to the kit you're using?

7. Almightyrastus

Ebay link

I've also added a couple more stones (2k and 3k although the supplied 1.5k stone is still the smoothest...) to mine as well as made up some balsa wood strops using a couple of layers of 3mm balsa and some spare back plates that I use with diamond paste in a few grades, the final one being 0.5 micron.

I've also added in an 800 grit diamond plate and that removes metal scary fast, perfect for a reprofiling job but you have to be VERY careful that it doesn't go too far

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RAILSQ/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

A consequence of upgrading my core switch to a GS724T, as the nice people at Sonos have advised me that bad things will happen if my core switch supports STP but the edge switch does not :/

I'm nigh on certain there's a joke in there about splitting hairs, but it's not coming to be just now.

That's nuts though.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Better *and* cheaper? Right, Amazon order cancelled and eBay purchase made. Ta!

10. Almightyrastus

And that's not freshly done either, I took that photo today and I sharpened it last week

No worries. Have a look at a few of the edge pro videos on youtube before you have a go. I normally keep the angle set on the yellow mark (you'll see when you get it) and that works for just about everything.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've bought me one of those too :)

My Leatherman blade-edge looks more like the file than a knife at the minute...

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This really is incredible stuff - it usually takes a lot to impress me, but liquid pro managed it easily.

13. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

yeah, i got some more ram to take me to 12GB and the ram heat spreaders are pretty big and wouldn't fit, so to make it fit it had to go 90 degrees, facing up with fan turned it was making horrible wind channeling sounds when it speeded up, so flipped it again to face down with fan blowing into the heat sink as it should and problem solved.

reason i just said all that is because i had to apply it twice as i moved the heat sink twice, i had nothing to clean it all again but it was still semi fresh and was halfway solidifying, i added a tiny bit more and it all liquidized again fine, as a bit more than i would of liked applied in total but my temps have gone down on my overclock by a good 8c which is massive for just thermal past alone been changed.

amazing stuff.

14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I use the stuff off ebay that's 99p delivered for a huge 30g tube :D

15. Behemoth

I've done this with near enough every CD I've bought (not that I buy many) anyhow I've gotten hold of another copy (for evaluation purposes only) and am rather liking it now.

16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

:D

17. Behemoth

Change quite liking it to loving it. Listening to it on a much better set of speakers on my PC over the ones which have failed in my car is a much better experience :D

18. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

40" TV bought for a ridiculous £336 (new) from a company on amazon, it gets an excellent review on the highly respected AV Forums great TV for the price but I can see me spending way too much money on blue rays as they look so good compared to my ancient TV and DVD player.

[​IMG]
    also a bought Samsung BD-F5100 Network Blu-ray for £48

and Game of Thrones 1-4
    [​IMG]

Don't bother knocking, I'm busy :p

19. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Umbra - I bought that TV a couple of weeks ago and while generally happy I have a couple of issues and would appreciate it if you could confirm whether you also have them.

First one is that there are always lip sync problems on Channel 12 (Dave) no matter what I've set the 'Audio Delay' to and secondly when playing Movies through Plex I hear a regular hiss every few seconds or so and changing the very limited Audio options in the App make no difference.

Because I also have a HD player with tuner also connected to the TV I can see there are no lip sync problems on Channel 12 if I watch it through that so it appears it's the TV rather than the Channel itself that's causing the problem.

20. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Will the winter ever come? they bang on about it enough.