1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Which 7" or 8" android tablet for <£150?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 21 Apr 2015.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hey guys.

My venerable old Asus TF201 has finally given up the ghost and I'm in need of a new tablet. I don't use the tablet as much these days so the want to spend £500 like the last time just isn't there.

My main uses are web, forums, very light gaming (puzzle and such, no fps or racing) and general multimedia. I use it to stream music from the pc to the bluetooth speakers in the kitchen for instance.

What tablets would you guys recommend? As a start, I've just been in Currys and seen the Asus Memo pad 8 (£119) and the Lenovo S8 (£99). Any good?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Tesco Hudl2, £120, even lower if you have Clubcard vouchers which double up when used to buy a Hudl.

Excellent little tablet, 8" screen, really bright colours, HDMI port & SD card slot. It actually runs a fairly stock version of KitKat, only a couple of bundled apps (Tesco focused ones). Can't really grumble for that price.

3. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

:yeahthat:

Got the Hudl2 for the my stepson, fairly durable, nice screen, pretty fast, think I might buy one next time, only thing I don't like is there is no Cyanogen Mod build for it, but that's a personal thing :lol:

For the £120 price tag, it's hard to beat. Samsung Tabs are nice, but not worth the money, unless you buy second hand and get a bargain.

There is a chap selling the Tab 4 for £80, reasonable price http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=283690

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Only thing to watch out for on the Hudl 2 is problems with the battery. I'm currently on my 3rd and likely to be getting another shortly; just waiting for the latest software update on the off chance it fixes it.

The software update was due 9 April but didn't appear so is overdue.

5. ShakeyJake

So my new hudl2 is updating and installing etc as we speak. They're down to £99 now so no brainer. I'm wary of the battery issue but it's a known thing so should be fixed and at least there's always someone physically in Tesco to shout at if something goes wrong.

Thank for all your suggestions.

6. GiGo

Hope you like it.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and as the person who works on the CSD , I honestly love it when someone shouts at me - usually I then tell them its after 28 days so please call the technical help number....

or try not to shout and be polite and you usually get a lot further

8. GiGo

But under the sales of good act you can return it to the store up to 1 year after purchase ;)

9. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

+1 for the Hudl2, great tablet for a ton.

10. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Despite the annoying problems I've had with the battery I still think it's an excellent tablet for the money. I have to say as well that the Tesco Support team rank amongst the best I've ever dealt with.

11. ShakeyJake

A figure of speech I promise you. I'm the politest and nicest customer you can want, or at least I try to be. I do however, always get what I'm owed.

12. ShakeyJake

What were your battery problems Big Elf?

13. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Slight thread jack, I hope I can be excused... but how is the 'bundled' software on the HUDL2? Can it be rooted and removed easily?

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so that gives you the right to be abusive to staff who are only doing their jobs yeah?

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

it usually works when `I know your busy but I bought this hudl and the the battery doesn't work anymore , I would like my money back`.

16. monkeydud

monkeydud What's a Dremel?

I've got an Lenovo a10 (was about £149 then got vat back on it as a special offer) and love it. It's the 10inch version of the a8. If you use it for media the speakers being front facing make a massive difference!

17. ShakeyJake

Really? Damn, I usually walk in, brandish the shotgun and motion menacingly. Would never have thought of asking politely.

You can remove the ui changes easily, I got apex launcher from the play store and had 'my' android in 2 minutes. As for the Tesco apps, they can all be hidden from the menus but not all can be uninstalled. It doesn't feel 'Tescoey' at all.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

18. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Great, thanks for that :)

19. ShakeyJake

Home screen with Tesco launcher removed:
    [​IMG]

App drawer with bloat ware hidden:
    [​IMG][/URL]

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

20. Goatee