1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Impeccable Logic

Impeccable Logic What's a Dremel?

"Progress has been slow. It's that time of year in the Piney Woods where thick yellow clouds poison your nose and make you sneeze blood. To make matters worse, everyone hires **** armies of chuckleheads with leaf blowers to knock the settled deposits back into the air. Yesterday I swept my curb and collected two full trashcans of pine tree sex remnants."

I read that and :lol:. Called my wife over to read it and she :rolleyes: but then :lol:. So true...

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Have you noticed the pine trees grow little upward pointing appendages on the end of each branch this time of year?
    I looks like they are flipping us off, and I really feel they are.

3. Cheapskate

I'm not dead...Yet.
    [​IMG]
    -I already have a half-cut plate. I'm contemplating getting it hot enough to silver solder a sink on it. I've discovered, like Mach before me, that a propane torch is not enough to melt silver to a big copper heatsink. It dissapates too fast. I gotta get the whole thing TOASTY.
    The positions are making it really complicated. The tube in the above pic Is the outlet for the Apogee XL, so I can't move that.
    [​IMG]
    -Then there's this little nightmare. This is a tracing of that tiny heatsink on the Windforce R927. I've added squares where I could for O-ring clamping, but the rest is surrounded by chokes or capacitors. There's a pretty long gap between screw holes on the front side. The holes are 1/8" for scale.
    -Other option is to make a bigger heatsink for passive air cooling.:(

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

You just need a bigger torch!! :rock:

5. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Hmm... two propane torches? :p How about using a cast iron skillet on the stove and a propane torch? I'd be too afraid of melting the copper using an acetylene torch.

And yeah that VRM block doesn't look fun. I want to do my own full cover block and I've been dreading cooling the VRMs. I'm with you, I'd like to see an extra screw on that long side. What if you tried something like this?

[​IMG]

6. Cheapskate

@Barry - That's plan A, only with bricks and hardy-plank scraps.
    @Shinji - Also a plan, but I want to pull the sink again and see where the gaps are. I'm definitely not putting the details into the copper, though.:lol: This copper is a bit dulling pain in the buttocks.

7. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Yeah it didn't take long for me to learn that cutting o-ring grooves is 100x easier in acrylic. My little 3/32" end mill wanders all over the place in aluminum, I didn't even bother trying it with copper.

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I'd use a BBQ rather than a stove. Higher heat and it is outdoors.

9. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Well I can melt aluminum pretty quick in there! Was a stock intel heatsink. Pulled the fan first of course. Burning ABS stinks! Also didn't realize the copper plug was hollow, though I suppose that makes sense.
    [​IMG]

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Remember when modding was simply cutting a fan hole in a case? If you put rubber edging around it that was already a five-star project.

Now we need a mechanical workshop that could build jet engines. :sigh:

11. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I'm still waiting for a steampunk build that's actually powered by a steam engine. :rock:

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Got your five stars back. :thumb: Hate, hate, hate that ****. I remember the last NUC contest when someone gave out 5 stars to a contestant and then turned around and gave the other contestants one star each. Insanity. It's what I hate most about BT.

13. Nexxo

The people are fickle that way. To be honest, I mod for the fun of it, not for the glory. And I bet Cheapskate, being the most hard core madder on this forum (legendarily once hand-turning his mill by torchlight during a power cut with a hurricane raging outside) feels the same. :)

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Win prizes with your mods, booooo, 1 star. :lol:

15. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

It's a little embarrassing to admit, but I must have spent the last couple hours researching the feasibility of a 200W (~1/4HP) steam generator.

16. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

"one star troll" -Cheapskate

Give haters the tools to hate and that's what they'll do...all day long...until they burst a blood vessel. That's why Facebook doesn't have a dislike button and why BT shouldn't have a one star button. IMHO, having the balls to show your work to the world has to be worth at least 3 stars.

17. Nexxo

Those who can't create, hate. Can't legislate against A-holes, unfortunately.

18. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

In my mind, Bit-tech operates a 10-star scale, with 6-10 being the possible votes. Anything below that is for mods, not community ratings :D

19. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

And here I was hoping that people would forget about the idea of making a steam generator... ;)

I'm sure somebody out there's done it, would make one hell of a fun project that's for sure. Added a solid 5 stars to even out the dickwad influence a bit :thumb:

20. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

If I were to do it, I'd use a raspberry pi. You can get away with a smaller generator that way.

@cheaps, Amazon has lighweight firebrick, which is the thicker bricks in my forge. These with a weed burner would probably work pretty well for heating large chunks of copper to solder/braze. I'd be worried about the hardyboard burning, or at the very least falling apart from the heat. After running my forge for over an hour you can still touch the outside of the brick. It's hot, but it's not brand you hot.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2015