1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Update to force Windows 10 ads onto older PCs.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Umbra, 13 Apr 2015.

1. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Dude111 likes this.
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

From my understanding, it won't be an ad like a normal ad.
    It would be a notification to get Windows 10, similarly to Windows 8 to upgrade to 8.1. Windows 10 will be a free upgrade, and rumors says delivered via Windows Update.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Already covered this in the Windows 10 thread but I'm glad someone else brought up this subject as i didn't want to sound more like a raving loon than normal. :D

I wanted to ask if people think it's OK for Microsoft to be pushing Windows 10 in such an aggressive way, using a platform meant for security updates, extra features, or enhancements to the current OS.

So far Microsoft have released something like four or five updates for Windows 7 to either aid, advertise, or actually get people to download and install Windows 10, some optional, some important, some recommended. If i have no plans to do an in place upgrade then these updates seem pointless at best, at worse they cause me to question the validity of trusting the Windows update platform.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You've just fallen in love with Windows 8 after all. Admit it. :D

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I think it is good. For the average person this is necissary to get them to upgrade which is good for the ecosystem. Having everyone up to date for security and getting devolopers to program for windows 10 64bit. If you really don't want to upgrade I'm guessing it will take you less than a few minutes to figure out how to make it go away. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about especially when it is a free upgrade. They aren't shaking you down for money.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I get notices from update manager on 12.04 telling me to move to 14.04. But that's free, so not quite the same

7. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

I agree, it'll be good for the end user if software developers can work on and test/debug fewer OSes - faster updates, fewer bugs etc.

Hey, it's free, need to make sure people know about it.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The less said about that the better. :p
    Even Microsoft is trying to forget it by pushing these updates out to 8.x users.

So it's good that people have their faith in the Windows update system shaken because there is no way to know if an update is meant for the current system, or just to get them to upgrade?

Or is it good that around half the people thought the nag screen they got on XP telling them it's reached EOL, or the one for Windows 8 users telling them to upgrade to 8.1 were mistaken for a malware infection?

I'm not sure how using a system meant to keep the OS secure as a means to push your latest product is meant to keep systems secure. Isn't it a little like when Microsoft first introduced UAC, it was so overbearing that people just ended up turning it off, my point being a security system is no good if you get so many false positives that you ignore a real threat, just like Windows update is in danger of issuing so many upgrade patches that people may well ignore an important one.

Well that's just not going to happen, it didn't happen with Windows 8 even though 8.1 is free and arguably better, it didn't even happen with XP and that's past EOL.
    And if people don't know about Windows 10 by now you have to ask how big is the rock they've been living under.

9. Nexxo

Windows aims to serve the entire market --from naïve muggles to geeks like us. So yeah, some people haven't heard of Windows 10.

The whole argument hinges on what you consider to be an OS update and what an OS upgrade. It could be argued that Windows 10 is an OS update, particularly as it is free, but even if you argue that it is technically speaking an upgrade, so what? It's free. It certainly would make sense to encourage everybody to be on the same OS to make software security and development a lot easier. Especially in the case of XP I would argue that moving to Windows 10 is an upgrade that enhances security.

Of course if you don't want to upgrade, you can click "no" (But you and I know that you will want to update). False positives? The update system already distinguishes between essential/important and optional updates, so that should clear that up. And to be honest, I've never felt overwhelmed by the automatic update system. As for people mistaking the update notification for malware, well, there are limits to what you can do about stupidity. Your Windows Vista UAC example being a case in point.

I really can't see the problem, honest.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Doesn't an update indicate your updating your current software, and an upgrade indicate you moving from one version to another?

Yes i know it's a matter of semantics but shouldn't updates be exactly that, I mean it's called Windows updates and not Windows upgrades after all, i get offering 8.1 via Windows updates as it stayed within the same major version, but offering to upgrade Windows 7 users to Windows 10 technical preview seems to be over stepping the mark.

It's also not a matter of simply not selecting the update that's marked optional as at least two of the updates are marked as important or recommended so get installed automatically if you have put your trust in the automatic system.

11. Nexxo

It does feel like semantics to me, TBH. Windows 8.1 changed the kernel. Is that an update or upgrade? If Windows 8.1 had been called Windows 9, would that have made a difference to that?

12. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'm still using Windows 7 (Thank goodness). Although I'm irritated that I haven't spent the time getting to learn Windows 8, I'm glad I never made the switch. Windows 8 isn't great for multiple monitor setups.

Is Windows 10 going to be pushed on me in the same way?

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From my understanding an upgrade is a change in the major version number, an update is a change in the minor version.

Personally i would base that on the kernel version, but seeing as that hasn't seen a major version change since 2006 (Vista) I'm not sure Microsoft would want that, or how people would feel about having Windows Vista 2, 3, 4.

I get why Microsoft is using Windows update to push out new operating systems, and why there trying to force it on Windows 7 users, i really do, but we have seen what happened before when Microsoft thought it knew best.

I can understand them doing it more so on 8.x as (imho) that's when updating to newer version via Windows update first surfaced, but for myself and i guess many others we are used to getting updates relevant to the current OS and not updates that may never be used, or install advertisement software to tell us about the next big thing from Microsoft.

If you have installed KB3035583 then yes.
    If you have no plans to upgrade Windows 7 then you also have KB3021917, KB2990214 (without a KB article), and KB2952664.

This post on the MSFN forums covers most of them i think.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2015
  14. Nexxo

Whoa now, don't you go confusing the issue by being logical and transparent! :p That's not the way we do things here in the computer industry...

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Why mate??

If they like what they are on and it does what they want,WHO CARES WHAT OS THEY ARE ON!!

Its the end user who ultimatly determines if its not safe by thier practices online...... (If they have everything setup right (Security,etc) they shouldnt have a problem)

Im on my favourite OS: Win98se .. I have always loved it. Very user friendly,etc.......

Alot of ppl wonder if the reason they want ppl on WIN 10 so much is because it gives them the 100% upper hand to spy on you,etc.........

MY LIFE IS MY LIFE........ MY COMPUTER IS MINE..... I do not want to be spied on....... (I know for a fact Win98se/IE6 (MyIE2 9.27.68) is not spying on me and im happy with that)

Everyone should be able to run with they feel comfortable with :) (Nothing wrong with that)

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

But what about all those poor Microsoft employees that are struggling to make a living?
    All because you haven't bought a new OS for over 15 years, how can you be so cruel Dude111. :D ;)

Like every business it's about making money, in Microsoft's case it's about not having to spend money on supporting more than one OS at a time, and an as yet unknown way of how their going to monetize Windows users.

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows 10 will be free to upgrade for the first year of it's release.
    Microsoft is changing to a service company. No longer selling software but providing a service.

Their goal, is to offer a wide variety of services which some of them are free, like Office on Android and iOS, and provide you a compelling reason to get a subscription to the full version.

Apple and Google makes billion of what? It's app stores. Free apps/games have either the company ad platform integrated into them or micro-transactions. Paying software they have a nice cut. It brings mass amount of money to the company. Microsoft is hoping that the large user base of Windows 10 systems, will bring developers to make apps for the OS (universal apps), and make money on that end.

windows 10 being free for 1 year is the first step to test the waters. If it works, it will be probably forever free.

18. Nexxo

Yeah, but in my experience it's those "Windows 98 is good enough for me" users who are the first to blow up when a Trojan steals their credit card details, a virus eats their hard disk or their browser doesn't keep up with HTML5. It's because of them that Windows is lumbered with legacy.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It looks like the nagware/adware has come to life. ;)

Microsoft starts prompting Windows 7 and Windows 8 users to ‘reserve’ their free Windows 10 upgrade
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

only it hasn't yet nagged or advertised anything, it just appears as an icon at the moment, waiting for the curious to click it.