1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Too bad it renders any transitions which its "supposed to make better" useless because of all the flickering it introduces...... I am not very pleased at the moment. Thinking about returning mine, but trying to decide what I would get to replace it. Any suggestions?

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

If the RGB lighting is what you're looking for, you don't really have an abundance of other options. Should be non-Corsair Cherry RGB boards appearing at some point this year, as it was only supposed to be a year long exclusive to Corsair.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think I'll wait until CodeTKLs hit the secondary market or find some MX Green Duckys.

I think I've become a ducky fanboy since they're all rather solid keyboards. They keycaps could be better but they're a damn solid package.

4. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

Last edited: 26 Apr 2015
  5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Their thick PBT dyesubs are pretty delicious though. Also, for the stock option their ABS caps they're not bad - way ahead of stock Filcos for example. I've owned a few Shines over the years too, and that UV coating really does protect the finish.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think I'll have to grab a set of their PBT dyesubs. I have an old Shine II(?) and a Shine 3 TKL. Fantastic boards, and really a cut above the filco ones.

That said, the Filco Based Rosewill RK9000 has been a good solid go between. This is going to get really expensive over time...

Speaking of which are there any PBT caps that allow for the backlighting to shine through? I know there's a vortex set but I'm curious if there are any others..

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

The vortex are the only ones I've seen - except the ones that come on DECK and/or TG3 keyboards.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, Vortex do a white set and a black set. Nice quality caps but you'll have to turn up the back light to see the secondary (lower) legends on the caps; unless you have clear tops for your switches to allow the LED to shine through. They'd work pretty well on the Corsair RGB boards (apart from the modifier row).

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, are they any group buy for topre keycaps? I know there are plenty of MX, but what about topre?

Last edited: 27 Apr 2015
  10. Chanc3

Chanc3 What's a Dremel?

You're better off getting a Novatouch or Topre MX sliders - cheaper and it means you have much more choice as you can use Cherry MX key caps!

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

WOW! I didn't know sliders exist!
    How much are they and where can I buy them?

12. Yslen

That's the issue, I think, most people I've seen with them had to harvest them from a novatouch. Don't know if there are plans to change this... Suspect CM would rather keep selling novatouch boards than start selling cheap plastic sliders instead...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So I could buy novatouch and harvest all those sliders from it? Does it include stabilisers etc so it would cover topre keyboard in 100%?

14. shindead

shindead What's a Dremel?

What are the turtle beach keyboards like, also which are the quietest mech switches?

15. Yslen

Don't know the details, probably best to check with someone who's done it before buying a while keyboard on my rather flimsy advice :p There's a thread on GH somewhere, will have a look later on today :)

Don't think anyone here has seen one in the flesh yet, though as Ivan pointed out in the comments there are cheaper ways to get a similar board. CM Quickfire Rapid-i or KBP V80 spring to mind as solid budget TKLs. Or go second hand, I got my filco for £75 and after a good clean it's lovely. Solid boards last a long time.

Quietest stock cherry switches are probably blacks/reds, providing you type quietly. If you hammer away at the keyboard all cherry switches are loud, though most of the noise is resonance from the case/desk. The red switches in my poker with the original plastic case on my cheap IKEA desk are super super loud. The very same switches in my JD40 sat on my coffee table are much quieter.

This week I've put some custom clear switches in my JD40 and used Krytox lubricant on the stems. They're really quiet now, so it's all a matter of friction and resonance, rather than the switches themselves. Sorry if that's a useless answer to the question, but it does mean you can do a lot to silence most of the switch types if you feel the need. O-rings work but make typing feel sucky.

16. shindead

I am getting constant agro for my "constant tapping" whilst playing league of legends to the point everyone leaves the room :p My desk is also a cheap IKEA desk so that probably isnt helping. I am currently using a noppoo choc mini with i THINK brown? switches... I honestly have no idea. I just saw the review for the turtle keyboard and I personally think it looks lovely.

17. Yslen

Try putting a folded cloth under the board and see if that helps? Or get everyone else playing league so they won't mind so much :p

The budget desks from IKEA are all filled with paper, so they're basically hollow and resonate like crazy. Mine is being replaced soon..!

18. shindead

Dont get me wrong its not a BAD desk for what I paid for it.... but realistically its a pile of sh*t. I will have to try the cloth technique, if not then Ill have to buy a normal keyboard :(

19. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Modern cheap Ikea panels aren't "solid". They have an honeycomb structure inside of 'em to reduce the wood they use ... but this acts as a resonator and amplifies the sounds. I had to place my trackball on a cork sheet to reduce the noise (very efficient and cheap solution).

[​IMG]

20. shindead

oh god :eek: I had no idea they did this.... I did wonder why it was so light though but didn't think anymore of it.