1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU ASUS GTX970 shutting down PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Minitoz, 26 Apr 2015.

1. Minitoz

Minitoz What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I recently bought an ASUS GTX970 to replace my R9 270. Every time I play a game now, I can play for about 15 mins then my PC restarts and I get a mesage saying Asus Anti Surge has shutdown the PC because of unstable power supply unit. I never had this problem with the R9. Also the light on the power switch for the PSU is blinking green. I've tried connecting my PC directly to the wall socket instead of using my surge protector. Do I need to shell out for a new PSU or is there another problem?

My current specs are: intel i7-4970k over clocked to 4.4Ghz, ASUS H81-Plus Mobo, ASUS GTX970, 16GB Kingston RAM, I think but can't fully remember without taking the PSU out of the chassis, that its a 750W, I know the manufacturer is Powercool. Which PSU would you recommend, I was looking at a be quiet Pure Power L8 80 Bronze 700w.

Any ideas/help will be appreciated.

2. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Assuming temps are fine, it does sound like a faulty PSU. You shouldn't have much trouble returning the PSU if it isn't the solution though.

For me, Seasonic are the way to go. Either in OEM or manufacturer form. Do you have a budget in mind? Does it matter if it is modular or not?

BeQuiet PSU are good quality units though, I've had a few over the years.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Minitoz likes this.
  4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

5. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I'd take a look at the XFX units as well, they always seem offer good value, most are Seasonic OEMs.

After way too many failures with Corsair PSUs I moved away from them. Plus shipping to the Netherlands is a bit on the expensive side.

6. Minitoz

Minitoz What's a Dremel?

All temps are fine, to be sure though, I set the GPU fan to 100% and had the same problem.

I don't have a budget for a new PSU and I don't know enough about computers to know whether or not I should go modular, my case is big enough to hide any unused cables.

7. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yeah sounds like a PSU fault then. In that case I'd recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Edition-Bronze-Semi-Modular-Supply/dp/B008O50WGA

Works out only slightly more expensive than the 650W and is a Seasonic OEM.

Minitoz likes this.
  8. Minitoz

Minitoz What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help guys, muchly appreciated.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Before you ditch and switch have you tried using different PCi-e power connections if available from the PSU to the card?

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Powercool PSU's are junk.

Its having a shitfit with the 970.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

try clocking your cpu to stock and trying?

12. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

I used to buy Corsairs for all my builds, but sadly, they have been living on their laurels and brand name in recent years and have lowered their standards for their entry and lower level models. So unless you stick to their high-end models, I would go with Seasonic or XFX.

And I would go for a 80 PLUS Gold over a Bronze. It will cost you more up front, but Golds tend to have better regulation and less ripple which your motherboard's regulator circuits, CPU and GPU will appreciate. And they generate less heat too. And by being more efficient, they end up saving you money in energy costs in the long run, more than making up for the extra initial costs.

That said, you could disable Asus Anti Surge and see what happens. And IMO, every PC should be on a "good" UPS with AVR, so I would recommend that too and get rid of the surge and spike protector - which is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord.

13. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I'm a bit late to this thread, hope you got it sorted - but thought I would point out that Corsair RMA's are now sent to a UK address (same building as Scan computers). No need to send them to the Netherlands now.

Tags: