1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Did you know that there is an election looming?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 27 Apr 2015.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's the same here only for Labour - shove a cardboard cut-out of Hitler [or Margaret Thatcher] out there as candidate and they'd still vote for it...

And whilst the Labour [MP] candidate is an idiot, at the very least they're a known quantity of idiot... I know exactly what kind of idiot I'm going to be lumbered with...

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

To be fair, it is really hard to tell the difference between a Yorkshire Tory MP and a shaved gorilla. :p

Last edited: 27 Apr 2015
  3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Should you be saying such things given your profession? Fix-the-Spade may well have self esteem issues which he is taking counselling to resolve.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Just turned 18 at the last election, voted in one of the safest safe Tory seats.

Since moved, to an even safter Conservative seat.

I will very happily admit I voted Conservative last time, and I will do the same this time.

Im my industry, if Labor get in, we're screwed.

Maki role likes this.
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I saw the opening and I just had to take the shot. :p

Actually I quite like Yorkshire. Would happily live there again.

6. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

I couldn't give a rats ass about the elections, they all lie.

7. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Same here (apart from the 18 bit....sigh)

I will probably vote Conservative for the same reasons.

As much as i'd like to believe Ed, I fear for the economy in his hands.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea because the economy has been doing so well, that's unless you count the five years prior to this amazing growth in the last year that the politicians like to harp on about.

(Source)
    [​IMG]

Don't believe the hype and spin that's trotted out by the politicians and check if what they claim is the truth or just the selective quoting of statistics.

9. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I'm an economist, so I'll stick to my own conclusions ;)

But thanks for that....erm....wonderful chart. :)

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's not my....erm....wonderful chart, it's the OECD's chart.

So being an economist you should be aware that contrary to what we're told, historical the Conservative have run larger and longer deficits.

[​IMG]

It seems strange that your own conclusions doesn't chime with the facts.

11. Scroome

Scroome Modder

I'm not going to engage you on this one, I'm afraid.

Say or believe what you wish.

12. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Although there is a limited amount of data to go on, you can clearly see a pattern.

Peaks and troughs; I shudder to think how bad it'll be next time.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Technical Analyst for a Fund, so yeah, same.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't believe anything, I base my opinion on facts.

Feel free to backup your belief (An acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof) with something more concrete but until then I'll take it in much the same way as when someone tells me they believe in a super natural being.

Indeed, before the global financial crash the largest deficit in blue was 50.9bn, in red it was 42.6bn, the highest surplus in blue was 4.2bn, in red it was 16.7. Contrary to what I always believed and was told from the media, it seems the conservative has historical run a large deficit and smaller surplus than labour. Although I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone can provide more accurate figures than those used by the ONS or OECD.

Your going to have to elaborate on that one for me, isn't the ONS & OECD independent?

15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've actually had my Tory MP canvass my house recently. Sir Roger Gale, my area's MP since 1983. I have nothing against him, I just won't be voting for him. I'm like fix-the-spade, I know he'll be our MP anyway, people always vote for him.

16. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Thank you for being so adult about this, and not letting your emotions seep in to your responses.........

I didn't really mention any 'conclusions' earlier, but thanks for going on full attack with your 'facts' as soon as someone wishes to share their views on who they would like to vote for, which clearly contradicts with your own.

I politely said I wouldn't engage you, as your beliefs are yours and mine are mine (I'm sure you'll mention facts to this etc), but you chose instead to throw the Oxford dictionary in my face and tell me that my opinions are about as empty to you as those with spritual beliefs.

I don't know why I bothered responding to be honest. I never take the bait here, but you were just plain rude and aggressive.

Sorry to everyone else here. That'll be the last I say on this, but I'm guessing it won't be yours

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry but what part about questioning someone's belief with actual facts do you consider an emotional response?

So when you said "I fear for the economy in his hands" are you saying that wasn't a conclusions?

It's got nothing to do with who people wish to vote for, it's got to do with people peddling their beliefs when they run contrary to the facts, like I said your welcome to provide some form of evidence or counter facts to backup your beliefs.

Like I said before I don't believe anything, I use facts and proof to form an opinion on subjects.
    I also wouldn't call defining the language and the meaning of the words used in a debate as throwing a dictionary in someone's face, after all the meaning of words are important if we are to come to an empirical conclusions.

I apologise if my evidence based system clashes with your belief system, or that you see providing facts as being rude and aggressive.

Comrade Woody likes this.
  18. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Oh dear lord.....

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am not voting anyway. I do not like my choices, or rather I have no idea what my choices are.

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It's my view that, if you don't vote, you have no real right to moan about the state of the country. EVERY VOTE COUNTS. (Please nobody take this as a personal attack, because it isn't! However, the only way things change is by people voting. Hell, people killed themselves in the quest for the ability to vote).

Plus, in the words of Nick Clegg (like him or not, he's got a point):

"If you go to Nando’s and get someone else to go up to the counter and order for you, you can’t complain if they come back with a meal you don’t want."