1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mr3D - Project Tatami (mATX computercase from scratch)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mr3D, 22 Mar 2015.

1. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

A non computer-related "update". Changed the tires, but while I was at it, I also washed/waxed/cleaned the interior. It's good for another season! :D

Picture of the car.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Get back to modding, slacker! :D

3. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Get back to slacking, modder! :D

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Get back to...Oh wait. I hit a dead spot too.

5. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

For this slacker, it's now time for some modding.(well, more like manufacturing in my case...) :clap:

Finished the feets today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First off: Surface grinding.

So I ground both top/bottom in the grinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up: Cylindrical grinding.

Here I ground 3 diameters, both chamfers and the cylindrical diameter on the outside. I didn't grind the inside tho, that wasn't needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finishing touches to the feets were made in the lathe, like polishing the parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For dampening I needed a softer material than steel... Used polyurethane for inserts in the feets, I don't have any pics during the manufacturing of them, but they are lathed from a solid rod of PUR.

Well then, back to slacking! :lol:

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

okay, you dont like the project. Thats ok. One cant please everyone.

Now this is why i called you a dick. In my eyes, you are being a dick when you come into other peoples worklogs and complain about them not doing the same as other guys, and saying that their design is bad, the way they did things was bad etc.

You can say all that without being a dick.

So what is a forum? A forum is a place where you can openly express your opinions. But as most other places on earth, if you are being a dick, you are going to be treated as a dick.

with a bit of sense, everything you have been trying to communication could have been written in a calm, and smart way. Instead you choose to go all nuts with exclamation marks etc. In my opinion, you are blowing this up to being a huge issue, when in reality, it is not.

We build one-off machines, and not mass production samples here. For one off things, it is allowed to not take the easiest route, but the best looking one. That is what we do.

7. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Holy crap, that's almost knife blade hardness. I'm not even gonna ask why you did that. :)

Why do you grind them after hardening hardening though? Doesn't that just make it harder on the machines?

8. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Why? Why not? :lol:

Grinding after hardening, that's the way to do it. I work as a tool-maker and that's the best way to get precision.

Let's take a round part as an example. First it's lathed from a solid rod of steel, by doing that you get tensions in the material that is released over time(aka the part bends).

Hardening, there is 2 good reasons to do it:
    1. part gets harder, which is good for mechanical properties like abrasive wear.
    2. Annealing the part after hardening releases all the tensions in the part so it won't bend over time. But the part is now bent from the hardening/annealing process.

So to get the tolerance of the part again it needs to be ground. That way we have minimal amount of tension in the material but also a part that is to tolerance.

About the question of the wear on the machine, well there isn't any excessive wear on the machine itself but sure, with a harder part the grinding wheel gets worn out faster. That isn't really a problem tho, because 52HRC isn't THAT hard so there isn't that much wear on the grinding wheel.

9. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Ahh... thanks for that explanation, that's really interesting.

I still don't know what kind of abrasion you expect the feet to be exposed to but that's ok. Perhaps it's people being compelled to grind against the case violently while making lewd noises? :D

10. Nexxo

Don't be silly. Who would do that to this smooth, smooth CNC'd billet aluminium goodness?... :worried:

Last edited: 1 May 2015
  11. Cheapskate

You called?

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

bowchickabowwow!

13. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

Well, my post was more for general mechanics than the feets itself. Because this is how we do it at my job, why not make the feets the same way.

But you are absolutely right, I'm safe against people grinding on the case now. :worried:

14. Nexxo

Get in line, buster!

15. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

:worried:

quietly backs away...

16. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

This project gave me Erection ",) . holy CNC Balls this much Aluminium I can't take

17. Cheapskate

The thread is getting dangerously close to needing adult supervision.

18. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

No adults allowed! If we had adult supervision then you couldn't do half the stuff you do! I mean come on! You run a cnc router/mill over carpet! :dremel::rock::rock::rock:

19. Seinron

Seinron What's a Dremel?

Damned ! I am in love !

20. Mr3D

Mr3D What's a Dremel?

NSFW? I'll give you NSFW! :lol:

How about a water block? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent around ~20h on the WB this weekend. The Aluminum part, and POM part is finished beside some polishing. Copper part is still in the making; needs to be milled on the underside, but to do that I need the CPU, which I haven't bought yet... :p

Anyways, the WB is a combo-block for both VRM and CPU cooling. Water enters on the top and cools the VRM, then on to the thin fins for CPU cooling.

Next weekend won't be an update tho.

greensabbath likes this.