1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus VR teases Rift consumer release for Q1 2016

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 May 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I really really want to know what the specs for the screen are.

As a ‘hardcore’ gamer, not too bothered about the price, as long as its ballpark what the DevKit was, that’s fine (though if its too expensive, it could slow down mainstream adoption).

The inbuilt audio is great too - Luckey is a audiophile so I'm sure they'll have done a really nice job here.

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'm curious about the screens too although I'm sure I read that the consumer version would match the cresent bay model and improve in a few areas, which this article would also indicate... So 1440p minimum.

I think i'm gonna' need a bigger GPU !

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Only thing I care about is the resolution and getting rid of the "screen door effect". It seems after the hype blew over, most people were left with that as a major issue that ruined the experience. The movement was also an issue but I think they will fix that. I will get this or the Vive depending on which does a better job by release.

The GPU is a big concern too. Someone said the screens could end up being about 1200p or even more, but that is each screen, so it works out at similar to 4k. And no graphics card can cope with that yet. It would need 2 which is too expensive and causes too many problems with compatibility.

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

This is probably the first bit of hardware I am going to pre-order.
    I have been tempted with the various DK over the last few years but held off. But as soon as I see the pre-orders come up I am going to be right in there.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

SDE - only thing that puts me off. Fix this and it will be must-have for all gamers.
    I have DK2 and played Elite Dangerous - only thing that was relly bugging me was SDE - unable to read properly in-game text. It was possible but with longer/harder focusing on menu texts.

8. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Need to know the final resolution of this, the Vive and the Microsoft one.

9. bleugh

bleugh Hello

Would love it, if I could afford it !

10. ChainsawBunny

ChainsawBunny What's a Dremel?

All of the people saying there is not a graphics card that can run 4k. That is the whole reason I think the retail version has been delayed until 2016. Because in 2016 we will be getting the new AMD and Nvidia Pascal hardware which will be able to run at 4k

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

There isn't a Microsoft one - unless you mean Hololens, which is just AR, and years away from consumer release.

Should be reasonably affordable at £250-£300. Not more than you'd pay for a good monitor.

This won't have a 4k screen. The tech to run 4K, OLED screens at 90-120hz doesn't exist yet.