1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Elegance by MetallicAcid

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MetallicAcid, 5 Mar 2015.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

The reason why the purple cable bothers me isn't because it's in view. I actually dislike the idea of hiding all the cables, they can be a valuable feature to a build. However, that stray cable just looks wrong IMO. It just crosses the heatsink at a random angle, there's no reasoning for it. Everything else in the build is the opposite, carefully structured, organised, neat (even the other cables). Instead it's just one random cable that IMO completely spoils the view.

I absolutely love every other inch of this project. I love the modest hardware, the curved window, the wonderful metal covers, the unusual case. It's all so unique, but that tiny cable just gets in the way. I think it bothers me so much because the rest is so good, it's that last 1% that you need. Your TJ07 build is a good example of what I call a 5% build, you pushed everything to 95% right and then you pushed over that to add the tiny details that most people will never notice. Build like that are what separate the best modders from the aspiring ones IMO, you go that extra mile on the things people wouldn't normally pay attention to.

I think that fan cable is that last 5%

2. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Lol...yeah...all 5 of them......

3. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid What's a Dremel?

It was not my goal to offend, and I know that there are just 5 of Hexgear in the world right now. My naming Hexgear is no way of saying that your chassis is unexceptional, but rather on the contrary.

Each and everyone one of the Hexgears are amazing, and they are publicized everywhere I read. This is only great news for Hans and Nate.

Sorry if I was misunderstood.

/J

4. MetallicAcid

I hear you Maki. I understand what you mean.

I do think that this cable did have a purpose being out on display, and this is because if it was hidden, then it would have been the only hidden cable in the entire project. I wanted to celebrate this fan cable, and even made it "pop" with purple sleeving. I also thought that the angle that it was running almost perpendicular with the front power switch cable.

With this said, I am planning a small revision with this project with new RAM and possibly GPU upgrade which will require 6pin PCIE cable. I might try hiding this fan cable as the GPU cables might take too much focus, and I will want a quieter balance in the top left hand side of the interior.

I would just like to say thank you so much for taking the time to write what you mean, and thank you for the nice words :)

/J

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Great mod there M'Acid! Now, call me a copy-cat or whatever.. But I was thinking of having a similar sort of panoramic wall/roof window on a build and seeing this has confirmed my choice in it! :thumb: Just out of curiosity, how did you attach the window? Was it just nuts and bolts, or were there washers in between the case and window? And what were the names of the type of bolt you used?

6. Frontside

Frontside What's a Dremel?

Finally i manged to setup my account :rolleyes:
    So now i can see all of these beautiful pictures here on a bigger screen (instead of 5" :D)
    Great job, MA :rock:

7. Octagon

Octagon What's a Dremel?

Hey Justin.

First of all, you've done a great job, totally worth of MOTM nomination (voted for you, of course).

Secondly, I just wanted to say that this build gave me confidence to make my own mod, although I had an idea and plans for months already.
    I'm kinda OCD guy, so I was surprised to see lots of ideas I had, you've done in this build (kind of awkward moment, dot'n want to copy you or anything, you know, but i'm doing it anyway :D).

Anyways, thank you for your work, keep it up!

8. B NEGATIVE

Mot my chassis fella but thanks. Nate and Hans are the architects behind it.
    I was more puzzled by their inclusion in your 'spam cases' list when there are...well....5 in the world right now....:eyebrow:

Anyway,enough of that,nice build,executed well and a welcome change from the 'bought' mods you see everywhere. DIY has gone AFK......

9. MetallicAcid

Thank you sir! The windows are just attached with cheese head hex screws with M3 thread, and M3 nuts. Nothing special with this setup. I just taped the window into place (using gaffer tape haha!) and drilled through the acrylic so that the drill made a small mark on the aluminium. I did this for all holes, then removed the acrylic. I then proceeded to drill the holes into the aluminium with the acrylic removed.

The reason I did it like this is so that I wouldn't get any aluminium chunks between the acrylic and aluminium panels, and potentially scratch the hell out of the acrylic.

I do not mind if you "copy" this mod. As long as you have been inspired to do your own mod like what I have produced then it is cool by me :)

Welcome to Bit Tech, and thank you for checking out my build log with final photos! Hope you enjoyed them ;)

Hey man, thank you for the vote and dropping me a message here in the thread. As I wrote to Impatience, it is totally cool to do what I already have done. If you are inspired, then go ahead and get cracking on your own Elegance mod :D Just credit me if you do exactly the same or similar :) :)

I am very pedantic as well, but don't get bogged down too much on little details if they take up too much time. The mod is supposed to stay fun, and not a chore :D

DIY is almost forgotten, with only a few out there who still practice the art. I am also guilty of relying on machinery for some projects.

Thank you for the compliments by the way!

I know that Hans and Nate are the creators, I was just commending you on your rendition of the Hexgear. Cannot wait for more progress :)

/J

10. B NEGATIVE

I have no problem with having stuff made but I have seen some rigs where everything is bought ready done like sleeving etc. Somethings just have to be CNC'd,I have had a few builds where bits have been made to my designs purely as I dont have the tooling required (Mill is on its way tho.....No more subbing out)

11. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Been following on instagram as per. Great work mate.

I gotta say there is a big difference between subbing all the CNC work out and actually doing the CNC work yourself :D

I rarely pick up a hand tool because I've learnt to do everything with the machines I own.

I think the end look is whats most important not how or who made it for you. Most people subbing out work are following the trends and don't end up with a nice looking system.

12. B NEGATIVE

I already know what im doing with a mill,I just didnt have the space to actually have one set up. This has changed now tho. Im not going big,just a modified Shapeoko 3.

My 'gripe' is that the DIY element has been lost a little really,the emphasis has shifted from developing your own skillsets to buying in. Personally I think its a sad thing to see.....

Thankfully its not died out completely.

I know its sounds hypocritical as I get stuff machined all the time as well you know Justin,but im not really talking about mill work,im talking more about the rest of the things that a good builder should develop as a part of a skillset. MA does posses these skills and is a much more rounded builder as a result.

Its not as irritating as all the modding 'companies' that infest FB however........You have to do more than add 'Modz' after your name guys......:p

All opinion so dis/regard at your leisure.

Last edited: 15 May 2015
  13. RooiDuiwel

RooiDuiwel What's a Dremel?

as mentioned, that DIY aspect is slowly fading away, however with things like the ShopBot/Shapeoko/Makerbot, it is turning into a whole different level of DIY...

what is now getting more interesting, is still how people turn their ideas to reality, be it with hand tools or the above mentioned machines...

as imersa mentions, the end look is still the most important and although we love to see those hands cranking, watching a vid of something being milled is just as big a turn on :)

after all, who can refuse a big, steaming pile of... metal shavings :p

ok, back to the mod at hand:
    - AMAZING as per all your stuff
    loving those windows and although that crossing fan cable is also a bit distracting, the exposure of them really adds to the build... that purple accent is hawt

14. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

I love the color scheme and the way you wrapped windows :rock:

I think a black version would be nice too

[​IMG]

15. MetallicAcid

Well there is a market with everyone trying to get that kick ass looking PC, and have the money to spend to make it happen. It is just like every industry. But I guess that there will be a few modders which will have the higher regard within the community, and hopefully the aspiring modders will choose the righteous path and do their modding themselves and not outsource everything or buy in like you mentioned.

As long as my projects are accepted by the long standing members of the community, and my work inspire the newcomers to try out modding by hand, then I am a happy camper. :)

I know that if I had a CNC here at home, I probably would rely on it more than my hand tools. Because let's be frank, getting cramps in my right arm because I have been filing and sanding for 4 hours straight sucks balls.

And thank you Imersa, I am very pleased that you are following my work :) :)

Thank you sir for checking out my build log!!

I know that hand crafting is something of a lost art in this day and age. I would personally like to continue with hand tools but I find that the time spent on doing such mods by hand can be much better used on other tasks while the CNC is cranking out the design.

And you are right about that feeling watching a CNC mill out something that has been designed in a 3D CAD program... It is something special :')

Cheers mate! I might consider doing some more of these window mods in various colour chassis some day! ;)

/J