1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Yooka-Laylee becomes most-Kickstarted UK game ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 May 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've never heard of Banjo-Kazooie or Yooka-Laylee. :confused:

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Banjo-Kazooie was a cracking Rare game on the N64. I miss the Nintendo-Rare days :(

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Banjo-Kazooie was one the best adventure games for it's generation, and is still better than most adventure games released today. Maybe not as good as Mario64 or Ocarina of Time, but pretty close.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The power of exploiting peoples childhood memories and nostalgia.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...mainly because they haven't released anything of note since Microsoft took them over. Rare is now a shadow of what they were when they were developing on Nintendo. :sigh:

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Bit unfair on Microsoft, whilst Rare's output for them has been nothing but crap, the ball got rolling when Rare and Nintendo had a massive falling out over Dinosaur Planet (Nintendo wanted it to be a Starfox game so Rare couldn't own the IP as it did with Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker, Blast Corps etc, Nintendo also wanted more direct control over the studio, but wasn't willing to buy it). Nintendo got their way at the expense of their relationship with Rare, the senior staff all left and sold their stakes to Microsoft.

Dinosaur Planet got a rush-remake as Starfox Adventures and the rest is all very sad reading. I can't argue that Rare hasn't been a sinking ship since MS got a hold of it, but it was abandoned and full of holes from the very beginning.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, hand back your geek card.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Never actually said it was Microsoft's fault, just that Rare hasn't really released anything noteworthy since they were taken over. I know the history, that Rare was already on the downward slope when they were acquired by MS and that Microsoft got a bit of a poisoned chalice when they took them over.

My point still stands, though - Rare haven't really released anything under Microsoft that has come even vaguely close to Banjo et al.

10. David

Nope. It's a console game. I don't do consoles.

11. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I actually enjoyed Grabbed by the Ghoulies on the OG XBox...

12. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I've never owned or played Banjo-Kazooie but I know of it and it's supposed quality.
    We've put out your details and your geek card will be confiscated at the earliest opportunity.

13. David

In the late nineties, buying a console and plugging a game cart in was hardly worthy of the term "geek". Building a PC to play games is far more geek, IMO.

You can pry my card from my cold, dead, hands. :p

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Guys, calm down. The 90s were different times. Consoles games were better back then (better than now, not better than PC games) and as a young(er) whippersnapper were my gateway drug.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

It's more to do with knowing your geek heritage, rather than actually experiencing it. For me and my geek brethren it was about games put out by certain development studios. RARE, Capcom and Sega's AM2 were the one's we would try to find out about what was being developed, while scouring the news segments in the games magazines of our local newsagents.
    Building a PC is nerdy. Building a PC after months of research so it conforms to the exact requirements with no superfluous components is geeky.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For years, console games were better than PC games - at least in the graphics and sound stakes. One of id Software (of Doom fame)'s first games was called Commander Keen, and it got its start when Carmack had a brainwave about how to do smooth scrolling like on the Nintendo Entertainment System and sat up all night programming the first level of Super Mario Bros. 3. The game was then presented to the other staff as "Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement," based on Romero's titular character. It was the first time NES-style smooth-scrolling had been achieved on the PC.

The reason for the history lesson: at the time, NES games had better animation, more colours, better graphics, and better sound than their PC counterparts. Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement (or, rather, the Commander Keen franchise that was born from Carmack's engine) was the turning point, and soon PC games had caught up to the NES - but the SNES blew them out of the water. It wasn't until PCs got hardware transform and lighting on their GPUs that PC games became objectively better in graphical fidelity than console games - and consoles have been playing catch-up ever since.

This isn't saying anything about the quality of the games themselves, of course: I've had a lot more fun playing certain text adventures on PC with no graphics at all than playing a lot of whizz-bang console games, and PC games can be a lot more complex than console games. But still, it's fair to say that in the 80s and early 90s console games were 'better' (or at least 'prettier') than PC games.

TL;DR: Pick your timeline right, and you could argue that console games were better than PC games.

17. David

Umm, we are calm. We're having a silly debate about a fictional membership card.

I don't believe the relative (subjective) quality of games for either platform came into the debate. :)

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What is this I don't even... o_O

19. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

What do you mean fictional!

I know. His card won't be valid anywhere now.

"The creative talent behind Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country reveal an all-new platforming adventure for consoles and PC!"