1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Government grants GCHQ the right to crack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 May 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So if someone isn't a suspected criminal then it's still illegal? That kind of throws up the question of how they define what a 'suspected criminal' is.

I'm not against the principal of allowing law enforcement or the SS to hack (sorry Gareth) into a computer, but the fact they don't need a court order or warrant in the same way they would to search a property is rather concerning.

3. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I think that's the whole point - absolutely anybody could be defined as being suspected of criminal activity, how could anyone argue that their (GCHQ's) suspicions weren't genuine? Even if they knew they had them, which they won't.

"What's that, you're a famous and respected journalist for a national newspaper working on a story about government corruption? Too bad, we think you're working against the national interest...."

I'm like you Corky, I'm not against the government having these powers in principal, but removing what seems to be any level of scrutiny or accountability seems deeply worrying.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Personally, I don't really have a problem with it as long as it is monitored correctly. However, I do feel that it could be used incorrectly and the trust level just isn't there at the moment.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it even possible to monitor something like this without an external judiciary system?
    After all they can just play the national security card and prevent any public oversight.

If the police could just break down your front door without a court order or warrant I'm not sure people would be comfortable with it even if they were monitored correctly, law enforcement and the security services shouldn't be above the law.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The problem is how they justify their reasoning to snoop on a given individual in the first place. They'll throw up some fuzzy reference to national security or (our current favourite) suspected terrorism, and that'll be all she wrote.

Oversight of such matters seems to be quite short-sighted if revelations, over the last few years, of the security services' behaviour is a reliable metric.

7. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

The government under the banner of terrorist prevention have gained total control over any dissent towards the privileged and the rich and powerful people of this country.
    This includes control over the press , media and free speech which democracy until lately provided.

The police are the money makers minions, they will never question the conscience of the money providers, they will just do as they have always done, and take the money and impose the will of the giver.

This is never change.

Business protection before the law abiding citizens needs will always be the police way.

On a more serious note.......it is now been made possible to reduce the size of a RFID tag to an easily ingested size, where you would not even notice that it has entered your body..

Do you still think they are tracking you too much by your cellphone info etc......you are so last year!

A new era has started, and the new government under the conservatives are more than willing to exploit us all to the max...

Your shat ain't happened yet, but it is coming. Trust me!

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ummmm.

This am is bad much.

9. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

You don't realise how this can easily affect you.

To be considered a suspect, you need only visit or communicate with an existing suspect, whether you knew they were one or not.

With this, they have the ability to pour over every detail of your life and those around you?
    Does legislation make any mention of monitoring being necessary, so why would they bother?

It's outrageous that fox hunting is top of the agenda, but Police State is at the bottom.

Can't believe the Tories got voted in.

Last edited: 18 May 2015
  10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You know, just because you're crazy-paranoid, doesn't mean they're not really out to get you. :naughty: :lol:

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Many worry, much crazy.

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I lmao with that, when has the government / police ever not abused the powers they have? was that when the trust levels was there? :hehe:

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Whilst I doubt this changes what is actually going on a great deal, it could be a positive by bringing some of these measures into the light a bit more.

What makes this fundamentally different to authorities being able to search your house/car/person if you're suspected of criminal activity? Perhaps the amount of due process, and indeed the knowledge that you've been searched? Hmm.

I'm on the fence to be honest, I don't like it, but I'm not sure if this changes much in reality.

Speaking of paranoia... lol at your sig Teel... :lol:

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not a lawyer, but it probably changes the legal case brought against the UK government.
    From the link in Gareth's article..
    Darn our hacking activities are about to be found illegal what should we do?
    I know lets sneak through a change to the law without any due process, consideration or debate.

15. Teelzebub

That fence is getting awfully crowded now day's

Thanks re sig :):hehe:

Still give some one some power no matter how big or little they will abuse it that is a fact

I'm sure some smart arse will post something soon lol

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Cautiously nonchalant.

The reality is that whether it's legal or not, various individuals within various agencies are going to look at pics of my nether regions if they really want to. I get by being not overly worried about it because A) my nether regions aren't very interesting and B) I have neither the time nor energy to be vociferous on the matter.

Do I think it's okay? No, IMO the exception is entirely too vague and appears to lack any form of real control. But it is what it is.

Fact. Everyone from the highest echelons of government right down to mere internet forum moderators :lol:

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, I don't know if this is true, but apparently the Dalai Lama exploits his position to get free coke and hookers.

[​IMG]

18. Teelzebub

I rest my case perv parge

Last edited: 23 May 2015
  19. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

[​IMG]

20. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Haha!.. why be paranoid, click baiting is much more fun Spreadie.