1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Planetary Annihilation

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 22 Aug 2012.

1. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

With the two vids its a bit odd why the orange team kept all 3 commanders on the same planet and on the second game the econ lead was massive by the end but also have to say commanders where very slow to be moved.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Offline and LAN options are coming in on Thursday. More than likely spurred on with all the rabble from people off the launch of their new Kickstarter campaign for Human Resources whining and moaning about those features not being available yet. Still, they're delivering what Uber set out to do!

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Barrrrrrrrrrump!

Is anyone still playing this?

Has it had any significant level of patching since it's rather limp reception initially to make it worth playing now? I'm not the online type so much, but I used to relish massive ongoing skirmishes with the AI in TA... is this something I'd be able to re-live in PA?

I've just (finally) upgraded from integrated graphics, so looking to mop up on some PC-only games that I've been excluded from over recent years.

4. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

I have been playing galactic war recently- basically online/offline singe player campaign against the ai with a limited tech- you get to expand with slots and tech.

Playing online but my net connection is not great so the ping/lag can be bad at times, standard skirmish the ai has improved quite a lot since launch.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I played a huge amount when it first launched, but recently been getting stuck into 7 days to die instead.

Great game - I need to play again soon to see whats changed in my months away.

6. Mister_Tad

Sounds like it could be worth a punt then - how demanding is it on the system when it comes to massive scale skirmishes?

7. Parge

Performance limitations are mostly down to your RAM because the larger games span multiple planets - its the one game I've come across where 8GB should be a minimum.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I will at some point get around to playing the single player. I actually just like looking around the maps - very pretty!

9. Mister_Tad

Looks like I'm on to a winner then - I think this will be the first game to re-introduce me in to the PC gaming world.

I thought it best to check, as I recall TA quite easily bringing the most ludicrous PC to it's knees even years later with the largest maps and max units patched.

*Bought and downloading - woohoo PC games!

Last edited: 20 May 2015
  10. Parge

By the way: for someone getting into PC gaming again, my top tip would be to play whatever other people you know play. Now I've matured a bit, I find 90% of single player games a joyless experience.

Also, more than anything else, you should really be playing Cities Skylines. Best PC exclusive I've played for years and just about one of the only exceptions to the above rule.

11. Mister_Tad

Nobody I know plays PC games, and I happen to like playing with myself. It's my safe place :D

I'll be getting Cities Skylines as well, seems nicely compatible with the slow-burn occasional play approach, which works well with me.

12. Parge

Oh thats all very well and good until you realise you are a solid 9 hours into a city and there's no clear 'end point' to give you an excuse to stop.,,,

13. Mister_Tad

Don't worry, I have plenty of other things to stop me from playing games :/

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

TEE HEE HEE!

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Not sure how I feel about this tbh. PA never felt 'complete' to me when compared with SupCom, I suppose I was expecting them to add in tier 3 units and experimentals. Giant titans do look awesome though.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I look forward to a lazy sunday for when I can actually sit down and have a proper game of this.

The Titans do look nice and freebies are always nice to get :)

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I bought it on steam, so i don't get it :( Will more than likely wait until it's dirt cheap if I decide to pick it up.

18. Parge

You'll get 66% off though I think mate!

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea I do, until October I think. It's just feels a bit meh since I was kinda expecting this stuff in PA. Maybe I was just expecting too much, I suspect measuring it against SupCom is probably a bad idea :D

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Did they ever sort out the lack of ability to save in MP games? The game, while very fun, was not played often in our group, as we could not dedicate the amount of time often required. Saving and resuming later would solve that entirely!