1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What would you put in a display cabinet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 4 May 2015.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Yuck! Nothing worse than smelly tar filled components. I feel sick just thinking about it :(

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The 5870 is all clean now. Eugh.

I've had several things turn up today but was away at an all day meeting, so I found one item sitting on my desk:

• 3dfx InnoVISION Mighty™3D II V3 Voodoo2 PCI 12MB

The card is absolutely immaculate - seriously, it's just like new! Considering it's over 17 years old, this is particularly impressive.

3. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Then that was just a show piece. :p

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^Perhaps!

A few more things arrived today:

• Thermalright TRUE All Copper CPU Cooler: I find this aesthetically pleasing to look at - bought new from Scan so all shiny and straight! VERY heavy though.
    • GameBoy (original): Ah, fond memories of Batman, Tetris, Super Mario, Lemmings etc. A friend at work collects old consoles, so actually has a few GameBoy games should I feel the desire to play them.
    • MSDOS 4.01 (on 5.25" disks): I remember having to type commands into this to get games to work - cd ....., dir.... etc.
    • Windows 95 Upgrade (on 3.5" disks): The operating system of my first PC that I owned. I played MANY games on this - Wing Commander Prophecy, Homeworld, Half-Life, Total Annihilation...you get the picture.
    • Windows XP Professional 64bit (on CD): Probably one of the most influential operating systems ever - the OS that just won't die. Try installing it on an SSD - it's hilariously fast.
    • 1960-1970’s IBM punch cards: My father actually used punch cards back in the day.
    • S3 VIRGE DX/4MB: I am now the owner of the worst graphics card in the world! Absolutely mint condition.

5. GMC

GMC Minimodder

You're going to need to add a soundblaster card.

You'll have most parts, almost worth assembling internals for the machines to match the windows versions...

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^You're right, I should hunt down the first Soundblaster. Assembling whole machines is a bit too big for what I had in mind though.

More things:

• First generation iPad: Absolutely mint and still works. Quite a heavy thing by today's standards.
    • ATI 5970: Mint condition, bar a couple of faint scratches. The last GPU manufactured under the 'ATI' moniker and the longest GPU ever made (as far as I know). Depending on how you measure it (giggedy), it can be 13"!
    • Elsa 3D Labs Permedia 2 8MB AGP: Excellent condition, and the first ever GPU I played on and/or owned. Wing Commander Prophecy was the first 3D accelerated game I played on it (Direct3D).

I need to focus on CPUs now, though now I have a GameBoy I have to get Tetris (it's in the rules).

7. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

With the GameBoy addition, you've now got to add the ZX Spectrum to that list, no buts....:D

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

*Cough* Voodoo 5 6000 :)

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A little before my time, but I shall look into it! I think my father has an old Pong unit kicking around...
    Well, I should say that the 5970 is the longest card ever officially released!

More things:

• Tetris: Mint condition. Anyone remember launching the rocket?
    • 3dfx Voodoo Diamond Monster PCI 4MB: The first ever 'proper' GPU. As mentioned previously, it has an in and an out port - very strange!
    • Diamond Monster 3D II 3dfx Voodoo2 graphics card 8MB: I bought this as I thought the other Voodoo2 wouldn't turn up. Mind you, having two kind of hammers the point home about it being the first SLI GPU.
    • Ageia PhysX card: I remember firing up CellFactor and Unreal Tournament 3 with this card.

I've ordered a QX6700 as well and am waiting on Windows 3.1 (on 6 3.5" floppies) to turn up.

10. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

This display cabinets going to become a wall! :p

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

You need the 20+ floppies version of Windows 95 :lol:

[​IMG]

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's Microsoft Office for Windows 95, not Windows 95 itself.

13. GuilleAcoustic

Oh, yes, wrong picture .... here is Windows 95

[​IMG]

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Wait, what? Your link seems to be duff, but I recall windows 95 coming on just a handful of floppies. I seem to remember Windows 2000 was only 5 or 6 as well.

EDIT: No, that doesn't seem right. Have I lost a decade without realising it? I'm almost certain my Win2k was floppies though, and not loads of them at that. :confused:

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Broken link.
    Nah, Windows 95 was 13 floppy disks, formatted to DMF to slightly increase capacity (from 1.44MB to 1.68MB) to keep the numbers down. Windows NT was six floppies; Windows 2000 was, to my knowledge, never available as a floppy disk release, but I'm willing to be proven wrong on that front.

16. GuilleAcoustic

From wikipedia:

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've got an OSR2.1 version of XP on floppies here, and it's definitely more than thirteen! ;)

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Okay, I know what's going on here - I had setup floppies for Windows 2k because I was unable to boot from the CD for some reason - I'd say because it was SCSI, but that wouldn't make sense as my system drive was on the same HBA. There were only a handful of floppies for the initial setup.

I'm sure I would have remembered 13+ floppies more vividly... nothing to see here.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, the middle display cabinet's coming tomorrow!
    I have the DOS/3.1 upgrade pack to 95. My father did have the full 26 disk version, but that was years ago and it won't be around any more!

Today:

• Windows 3.1: Although this was installed on the family computer, I remember always having to boot into DOS to actually play any games.

20. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Guess I'll read that as "it'll do for now?" :naughty: :hehe: