1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 31 May 2015.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

Doesn't look bad at all - not far off the stock consumption of the 290x uber, for double the 4K performance of the 290x in Crysis 3.

2. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Honestly I wouldn't know without testing so I don't want to say. Sorry! That said, once the new system is built I do plan on giving everything we still have from the last few generations a re-test, time permitting. I leave them in the graphs as a rough reference but the analysis is based on the cards tested with the most up to date drivers, which I try to make sure are the ones most relevant to the review.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

:read: ;)

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Hmmm ...I'd suggest if AMD can match the Ti for performance but at a lower price (sub £480) = win

5. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

The whole 3.5GB memory allocation issue thing. Probably been sorted already, I just haven't been paying attention.

6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

...and I was going to buy a GTX 970, but they haven't dropped in price... d'oh

7. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

I read somewhere that it's a really bad time to purchase GPU as Nvidia are switching to 14nm fabrication in the new year.

8. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

It can't be sorted. Because of the 56 ROPS and less than 2MB of L2 cache my limited understanding is that the architecture doesn't really allow for a driver solution to accessing the 512MB memory with anything other than a lower speed. But that doesn't alter the benchmarks it achieved in reviews. I don't think it was ever touted as a solo 4k solution so it still seems like a good card for the money, albeit perhaps not quite as future proof as one might have thought.

9. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

7 months seems like too long to wait for someone looking to upgrade and with cash in their pocket. That's 7 months of gaming they could have had instead of waiting for slightly more performance for their money.

10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

There is always something "better" coming soon.
    Be it AMDs 300 series, or Nvidia moving to 14nm fabrication.

You just have to weigh up how much you want something now, versus how much better the thing coming is/may be...

11. rollo

rollo Modder

No one really knows when 14nm will arrive or what performance they will offer or how much it will cost. I can pretty much guarantee it won't be cheap as the stock they will get is going to be limited.

People expect 14nm to make 4k gaming affordable are living in a different planet. Nvidia and AMD have no reason to offer a sub £500 high end card. Even if that card can drive 4k it's not what I'd say is affordable for the mass market.

12. Newton Sporkfondle

Newton Sporkfondle Spork, the all-purpose eating tool!

And then they buy the next latest thing!

BTW, Amazon have the 980 listed below £420, perhaps below £400 soon.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

scan already had them for £350.....

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'M THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

No dont throw it at it. There's a button that you push on your case. The money receptacle slides out when push it. Put the money on it and give a gentle push to send the money. Some people mistake it for a cup holder. Idiots

16. Newton Sporkfondle

Newton Sporkfondle Spork, the all-purpose eating tool!

Better still :)

17. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

Looks like an incredible card for the money, considering how sane the price/perf curve is on it, but a significant leap in tech is afoot, we've been on 28mm for an age now, cpus are at 14nm and other techs are at even smaller nodes with cpus due to join them next year. No doubt this card will provide faultless gaming performance however, but sub 20nm gpus with similar mm2 dies, with HBM, are going to trounce it.

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Very nice performance and a reasonably decent price. It will be interesting to see how AMD respond now.

One other thing, I wonder if the Titan X will see a price drop to bring it in line with being basically a 980Ti with 12GB of memory? The X doesn't have the "old" Titan's DP workstation abilities thus its price premium is purely marketing. It should cost more (it is technically better after all) but >£800 is a joke considering the actual advantages it offers and the performance delta.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

£350 for a 980 - what they should have been priced at all along.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I imagine this will limit the pricing of the 390 when it arrives, unless it blows the Titan X out of the water.

IMO, this is the first 900 series card that's probably worth the money.

Tags: Add Tags