1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces free Windows 10 upgrade for Insiders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

this would be my first legit copy of windows since XP

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Thanks for this article, I've just joined the programme. :thumb:

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I know Microsoft are the ones using the word free but to me their version of "free" doesn't fit with mine, it doesn't seem free as in beer, or free as in speech.

Once you take advantage of this "free" offer can you switch to a local account and never log back into your MSA? What happens after a year when your MSA is automatically deleted because you didn't login?

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

It's my understanding that being in the insider program requires you to have your Microsoft account linked. So I imagine that if you want a free copy of Windows 10 through that route you won't be able to use a local account.

6. DatenThielt

DatenThielt What's a Dremel?

"Windows 10 release on the 29th of June", You mean July right? :)

7. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

Well the MS blog states that Windows Insiders "will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th". Doesn't that just mean they will receive the final build as an update through the standard Windows Update mechanism?

The preview key that was used for the original installation will still expire in October 2015. So I expect you will still need a genuine Windows 7/8 key to use it beyond that.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I really can't be bothered with all this 'will they, won't they' crap. I'll do what it is I have to do when the time comes and it is understood. Until then I'll just keep using the Preview and my Windows 7.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Trying to test out Win 10 but I can't get it to install. Build 10074 installed but then updates caused an infinite boot loop. Build 10130 won't even install, just see the blue windows flag, then restart.

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I'm running it just fine on a machine with no internet connection at all, if that helps at all.

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

"psst! Hey! kid. You want some Windows10? The first one's free..."

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

I will get it one way or another. Through this or university.

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Sadly it looks like the original article was just badly worded. It won't be an unrestricted, fully-fledged copy but actually one that expires if you don't have a valid Windows 7 or 8.1 license if you don't stay in the Windows Insider program. Even if you do, you'll have to install new builds every now and then...

More info including a statement from MS's Gabe Aul here

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

In the light of the latest developments, looks like I will just run the free upgrade then. The thought was nice while it lasted. :wallbash:

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I've had two update disasters like this, the last one was last week. The only thing that worked was wiping with, then installing, Linux Mint, then trying Windows again. Both Windows 7 & 10 just installed to bootloops, if at all, no matter what. Plus it appeared to kill my SSD, but once again, Mint had no problem using it and making it work in Windows.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2015
  16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So it seems they've updated the blog post linked in the article.

Basically the "free" was intended to mean that you can stay on the insider program after the 29th and continue to get pre-release version of Windows 10 for free. If you want to stop being a beta tester you're going to have to follow the standard licensing paths to get the RTM version of Windows 10.

Not that I've looked into it but I'm guessing that's either against some silly terms of service or from a non Microsoft source, AFAIK the only legitimate place to get copies of the Windows 10 is via the insider program that requires a MSA to access.

Note: I'm not saying it's illegal or wrong in anyway, I'm just saying that's not how Microsoft intended for people to use the pre-release version of Windows 10.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2015