1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 24 Jun 2015.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Nvidia driver support -really? you have seen Nvidia drivers of recent havnt you?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

well ocuk had only £650 stock `in`.....

depends on the review - its obvious its not as limited by 4GB as the GDDR5 cards are = HBM1 has proved its point ; and next year will be HBM2....

im on a GTX 980 phantom @4k and it works for me in the games I play

3. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

I have to agree - tried to update my NVIDIA drives last night and it just crashed...

4. DbD

DbD Minimodder

No they didn't, there is nothing magical about HBM that means it can store more then GDDR5 - 4GB is 4GB and when that's not enough it still has to swap just the same as every other card out there:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/6#.VYq_cflVhBc

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Expected better at 4k, Hexus review shows AMDs issues really the fact the game feels smoother at 4k on a 980ti yet is slower in fps averages highlights AMDs long standing issues with frame delay.

Could the 4gb of ram be the cause of this, Will partners try to fix this issue by selling a 8gb card, can they do this ?

The Rumours are that AMD has a driver that will fix some of this coming on the 15th july but if thats the case why not just delay and get a brilliant review instead of a few average ones.

Price is currently higher than £510 so thats disapointing, AMD can not control pricing thats true but still there product thats been sold for a premium it does not really merit. You can pick up a 980ti for £510 on today only deals across most sites.

Makes it a bit worse in the value for money stakes.

As ive said elsewhere, Its great for Small form factor Pcs. Wether the drivers will mature at 4k is another matter personally think the lack of video memory will be the big issue with the card.

Also pretty sure it was just 6months ago that AMD Fans were critising Nvidia for releasing a 4gb card. If 4GB is not enough for Nvidia its not enough for AMD either. Still think for 4k long term 6-8gb is going to be the requirement.

And to the people saying you will get 2-3 years out of this card maybe at sub 4k resolutions not sure for 4k. Just cause 3 will surely require more performance than either card can offer to max out at 4k.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This is the thing that caught my eye - sales and pre order prices are significantly higher than the £510, which impacts the value. The apparently poor overclockability is also a concern and suggests AMD pushed the Fury X as far as they could reasonably get away with.

Still looks like a good card and hardly the coffin nail someone claimed, and I wasn't surprised to see the test results differ from the AMD-centric early benchmark screenies.

It will do little to draw down the price of the competition, unfortunately.

No doubt, the entrenched fans of the red and green teams will crow about the respective benefits and failures of it.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

HBM1 only comes in 1gb stacks so until HBM2 it's impossible to use more than 4gb (without redesigning the GPU)

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So it's not as good as some hoped, not as bad as some feared...

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Do you want to spend £510, £600 or £650? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=3068 :lol:

10. Georgecaldwell

Georgecaldwell What's a Dremel?

I had higher hopes! But my 970 with a overclock is still a better card! Yes I exaggerated a bit! But it is basically the truth! 4K gaming is still way off from now anyway. I was hoping the Fury X would handle 4K better. But we still do not have a GPU able to do 4K unless you SLI or Crossfire.

11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm confused. Not by the Fury X but by the reaction by everyone to it. Firstly, it's in everyone's interest that AMD does well, so I'm not quite sure why so many here seem to want the nails to be put in the coffin.
    Secondly, this is a proper step forward from the 290X. No, the Fury X doesn't beat the 980Ti, but it's up there and AMD has significantly closed the gaping performance gap to Nvidia. It's at least close with a similar power draw. We are also yet to see what the Fury and Fury Nano can do.
    Stop being so bloody negative.

Finally, on the note of drivers, both companies and currently guilty of releasing utter trash.

12. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

If they get the price point to where it should be £510 it's a decent card for the price point, better than the 980 but not as good as the 980Ti.

Good effort by AMD, glad to see a bit of competition, but the bottom line is at these sort of prices of over £500 a card, for the extra £40 or whatever it is for the 980Ti it will be a no brainer to go for the Ti.

Handy if your using a small factor case, and want the power, but that really is the only scenario I could think of where I would consider getting one instead of the 980Ti - but I'd guess the tube lengths will then be a pain in the backside as they are so long.

I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed by it in all honestly.

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Other than the temps being lower than the stock 980ti and it beating it in some benchmarks (but not than many) it's definitely not as good... Shame... I was really hoping that it'd beat the 980ti or at least be closer overall, at the very least to bring down the price of the 980ti... At this stage I think that nvidia might have to drop the price of the 980ti a little but not much as it's still the better card (other than temps) in most situations.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Something I can't work out is why there's such a difference in pricing, sure different retailers have different pricing but £140 gap from the same retailer, aren't they basically all the same cards?

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

That's what I thought. At £510 it's a great price, at £650 you'd be better off ordering the EVGA Hybrid 980ti which has the benefits of being the faster card and with the cooler temps of an AIO.

16. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The cards costing £650 were actual stock ready to ship today, the £510 cards are pre-order only and won't be here for a couple of weeks or so.

Online retailers just cashing in on the epeen idiots who haven't got the self control to wait until supply becomes readily available.

Speed likes this.
  17. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yup, this!

Just wait until the price drops down. :)

18. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Whats going on with the technical side of things here, guys?

Re: HBM.... just .... no. Also, bandwidth has always been most important at high resolutions. This isn't just a 2015 thing.

This is really pretty poor. I mean come on. For starters Maxwell cores are A LOT larger than GCN cores.

19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Ah, I see.

So it looks like the actual price will be £510, maybe adding a bit on for brands with long warranties and such.
    It doesn't make sense to factor in seemingly fairly shameless price gouging when it comes to assessing bang-for-buck of the card.

Seems like a pretty competitive deal, especially if you have a general preference or a case that favours a layout with an AIO liquid cooler.

If drivers and optimisation for HBM memory in new games improves, plus maybe it nudges below £500 is could be very compelling indeed.

20. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yup, although to be fair to the reviewers they were likely dealing with the info they had at the time before the NDA was lifted.

It does yes, although G Sync has firmly put me with the green team for the foreseeable future.

Tags: Add Tags