1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress -----'PARVUM SENESCENTIS'-----

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 1 Oct 2014.

?

What Colour Acrylic Accents?

1. Light Silver

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Silver

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Slate Grey

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. White

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Clear

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Good news, Senescentis is back with the addition of a new sponsor and some fresh thinking from fellow modder JR23. Having spent some time working together on PARVUM MATE he stumbled across the steel X1.0 hiding in the corner of Parvum HQ and demanded progress be made immediately!

With both of us able to put some time into the project we decided to step up the ambition and fill out the case with something a little more special than first planned. JR has some unconventional watercooling ideas he wanted to explore that fit elegantly into the theme of the build, or so he tells me ;)

But first lets take a look at the swag from HyperX and the projects latest sponsor EKWB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...much goodness already, lets unbox!

[​IMG]

HyperX 3K's seem to get better looking every time we unbox them and the Fury matches the subtle aggression beautifully, too bad those spreaders will be coming off soon.

[​IMG]

Beneath EKWB's vibrant packaging lies an understated lump of acetal and nickel, not something I typically go for (acrylic Cheesecake!) however its very inkeeping with the architectural nature of the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily EKWB offer a replacement acetal top for the monarch block just in case even moar clean CSQ epicness is required.

[​IMG]

We also decided to go with a PE radiator on this one to complement the simple square lines of the blocks.

[​IMG]

Finally we have the DDC and black heatsink/cover concluding our little array of watercooling gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this collection of uber clean monochrome hardware it may seem as if we are straying away from the beaten up rat look and to an extent that is the case. Not everything in it will be ratted, instead we will try to achieve a very controlled contrast between the rough rusted textures and smooth black surfaces. But there will still be some dirty industrial elements to look forward to.

[​IMG]

It's great to have a some momentum back on the Parvum modding projects, i'm stoked to see what JR does with the watercooling kit and I can't wait to report back to you guys with more updates. Thanks to HyperX and EKWB for your support and thanks to everybody following the log for your patience.​

2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Finally yes :D

3. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Do share.. this will be good.

J.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Should have got a gpu block too...

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

I really liked the "metal on metal" theme (Anvil anyone?!)

Putting water into the mix just doesn't seem right...
    Water cooling just for the sake of water cooling is too tired now a days (my honest opinion...)

Unless you are able to stain the blocks and or solid pipe - then that would take it to a whole other level!

But yeah, post an update already, let's see what you've got!!!
    *he said in his most friendly non-offensive tone...*

6. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Don't worry ;)

[​IMG]

7. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

:rock: :rock: :rock:
    [​IMG]

8. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Although the log went a little quiet again the entire Parvum team has been busy getting involved in SENESCENTIS and we are now at a great stage to share our progress. Taking the experimental nature of the project a little further and drawing from the techniques picked up on PARVUM MATE we developed some unique watercooling ideas for SENESCENTIS.

Before they could become a reality much measurement and CAD was needed so we asked JR23 for halp! (sounded boring)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But he seems to like it... and this might just work!

[​IMG]

For the first time we got a block of 12mm Acetal to work with, finding opaque acrylic in thicknesses greater than 5mm is challenging particularly when an entire sheet isn't required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Acetal got rekt!

[​IMG]

Next up all of the G1/4" ports were tapped out, at first using a pillar drill to ensure the threads were perpendicular to the piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the ports in the motherboard tray (yes, motherboard tray) was a blind hole so to ensure the fitting would screw in as far as required a tap with a less significant taper was used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now lets take a look at some glorious fittings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, such finish...

[​IMG]

...you just don't get that oxidization with Bitspower.

[​IMG]

Literally pushing those aside for a moment lets take a look at what was crafted from the block of acetal. Firstly a reservoir and pass through plate, allowing each run of tubing to sit parallel and elegantly disappear into the rear of the case.

[​IMG]

Much tool path... <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The threads cleaned up great, acetal has proven to be a fantastic material to work with both with the CNC and by hand.

[​IMG]

Now for the main article, an X1.0 mid wall, with stand-off less inlayed motherboard mounting, precise fitting radiator opening and much more.

[​IMG]

MOAR tool path, on so many levels!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just in case SATA happens...

[​IMG]

Further to that ATX spaced individual power cable holes perfectly placed for the Maximus VII Impact were implemented.

[​IMG]

But what is this in the back of the motherboard tray m9's o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clean Acetal dankness!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets just let that sink in guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stoked to bring all of these elements together, thanks for your support, catch you in the comments or if not in the next update.​

9. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

all that cnc goodness, waterpathways to heaven and using the moboplate as a makeshift pumptop :jawdrop:
    this is all kinds of crazy-crazyness! :clap:

10. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

please stop posting that kind of cnc pr0n. The Pump-Top included into the Motherboard tray (or was that the res plate) is just awsome...

11. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I love this stuff, blows my ginger bearded mind! Great work guys. Hope you're bringing it to LAN.

J.

12. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Amazing stuff! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Wow in terms of watercooling your possibilities are never ending. So sick.

14. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

this is awesome :)

15. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

NSFW...
    Or is it just my drooling at CNC pr0n that's making people uncomfortable.
    [​IMG]

The way the motherboard sits in the tray is awesome.
    Cant wait to see this together

16. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

That is indeed the motherboard tray, the reservoir pass through plate will bolt to the rear accent of the case flanking the GPU and motherboard IO.

Undoubtedly SENESCENTIS, KRAIT and MATE will be at Insomnia and as many more as we can get JR23 to finish in the coming weeks. And then even moar...

Thank you guys, let the watercooling innovations continue!

It's definitely the heat!

The motherboard tray was an extension of JR23's recent idea on MATE, he tells us more thickness was needed in the midwall to include the pump hence the whole piece had to come out around the motherboard. The case was already cut, plus the PSU limits how far back the motherboard tray could potentially go. It would be great to use the standoff-less approach more often but it would mean designing a new midwall for every single motherboard.

17. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Imersa: is that a DDC pump hole? Or one of those small Alphacool ceramic pumps?

18. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

Yes it is a DDC top in the motherboard tray, the same design pretty much used in MATE except with G1/4's tapped right into the front. The geometry is no doubt compromised by the fact we can't machine in from the side, being in the middle of a large sheet, but it does still seem to work quite effectively in our test block. This gives you a good idea of how it's packaged internally in the midwall, pretty close all round!

[​IMG]

JR

19. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Wow, tight fit! I was thinking more about the DDCs heat though. I'm a semi-water-noob (only been into it for about 2 years), and I've never used a DDC. But after seeing some horror stories about them melting, I was curious as to how much room there was for a DDC heat sink.

I'm sure once it comes together I'll get it. I follow you on OC3D too, so I know these details are never left to chance. :) You're too slick for that. :D

20. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

We have an EKWB heatsink for the DDC as shown in the previous post, that portion will protrude from the back of the midwall and it sits right behind the front fan (most likely the only fan). In an X1.0 the fan directs a little airflow behind the motherboard tray hence it should stay quite happy.

Not too worried about it however as the pump will have to face far worse endeavors. The fittings and tubing will all be made from iron with no plating and no treatment so it's likely there will be a little debris and rust floating around. I know this sounds like a watercooling nightmare, well ordinarily it would be! but this is a show rig ultimately so it will be stored without coolant, cleaned/flushed and then run for a short period. I'm sure that decision will make maintenance far more intensive and regular but it will be good fun.

JR