1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft launching Surface 3 4G LTE this week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I've got the non-4G version of the Surface 3 and I can tell you it is pretty cheesecake. Snappy, full Windows and Office performance on an all-day battery life in a light and slim package. It is practically grafted to my body --I take it everywhere. Love the pen.

SketchUp? No problem. Eagle PCB design? Sure! Quake (you should always have Quake on your PC. It's geek law)? Damn skippy, especially with one of the fancy windows engine mods.

Even demanding stuff runs on it pretty well. Can't believe this is an Intel Atom CPU, which used to be so crap!

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

With rumours pointing to the Surface 4 due in a month or two I would have thought they would've waited until then, or do technicalities prevent 4G LTE being available on launch of something like the Surface?

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I thought the surface 3 only just came out? Are you thinking/have read about a surface 4 PRO? As that would make sense (to me)...

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If April was over a year ago, then yes. Otherwise, no. Remember: "Surface 3" and "Surface Pro 3" are two different product lines, which were launched at different times.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's what I done isn't it, I confused the "Surface 3" and "Surface Pro 3" :duh:

Although without looking it up IDK what the difference is other than the Pro version must be better because it's for Pro's, talk about confusing the market. :p

8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

9. Gareth Halfacree

The Surface tablet family launched as the Surface and the Surface Pro, and were clearly differentiated: the Surface ran Windows RT on an ARM processor and could not use legacy software, while the Surface Pro ran Windows 8 on an x86 processor and could use legacy software. Then Windows RT died on its arse - largely 'cos who the hell wants Windows if you can't use your existing Windows software - so Microsoft took the Surface (and Windows RT) out back and shot it before returning with a cut-down Surface Pro dubbed the "Surface 3." Now, the lines are blurry: the difference between the Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 is really only in specification, not in base functionality.

I'd be surprised to see a Surface Pro 4 launch on its own; I'd predict an end to the weird staggered launch caused by the Surface 3, and to see Surface 4 and Surface Pro 4 launch simultaneously - and be differentiated, as with the current generation, largely on specifications alone.