1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung launches 2TB 850 EVO, PRO SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

About time capacity got past the 1tb mark, now I just need to wait for 5 years for the price to become reasonable !

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

We have some good news recentlyh, 2TB SSD from Samsung and 128GB DDR4 from Corsair. While I can't afford either of these products it will push down prices of 1TB SSD and 2x8/16GB DDR4 kits. 256GB is too small with games like GTA and FF and I will go over 8GB when I move up to DDR4 with my next build.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

£630+ for 2TB is just a ridiculous price even if it is an SSD, especially when a 2TB HDD costs £60.
    Yet some regular posters on here say that prices don't need to fall. I understand and even wouldn't mind paying a premium for an SSD over HDD but not at odds of over 10/1.

I just regret buying 250GB 840 EVO's rather than the 500GB, but that is the learning experience I guess.

5. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

RAID 0 is your friend... double capacity, double the speed

6. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

I thought a single SSD was maxing out speed of Sata 3 to begin with?

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

And double the chance of failure! Awesome! ;)

I disagree - it's not all that long since SSDs were £1 per GB, and now they are generally £0.50 per GB with some exceptions on either side. To get 2TB of SSD storage for close to £0.25 per GB is insanely good value for money, all things considered.

Comparing mechanical storage with solid state storage is like comparing a Transit van with a Ferrari; they ain't the same thing, so you'd expect there to be a huge price difference.

2TB @ £60 is great if you don't care about speed/noise/heat, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. I hate that my mechanical HDDs drag my SSD through the mud sometimes. It's bliss when they aren't spinning; my PC is so fast, quiet and cool.

8. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

If you're using SATA 3 - it's 600Mbps per port, so if you RAID 0 you are using 2 channels, so a max of 1200Mbps. yes, double the chance of failure, but SSD's are much more reliable than HDD

If I've got the numbers wrong then I'm sure someone will let me know... :)

I'm running RAID 0 2 x 256 MX100 SSD's as my boot drive... oh and scaling isn't linear as Linus proved in a video a while back

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

the price of 2TB shouldn't bother consumers because the product isn't targeting you. It is for content creators that are working with large projects. The drives increase productivity and in turn generate more revenue. Home users have no need for more than 1TB of SSD storage at this point. However, even with HDD you pay a premium for the largest capacity. The 2TB drives should drive down prices of 1TB drives.

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I disagree with this point of view purely on the basis that there is an EVO version. Professional environments would surely use the PRO version.

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'd have to disagree to, I currently use an external 2tb to hold all my dvd/bluray rips and also have about 1.5tb of games in my steam library which are currently on a 2tb hdd. Also what schizofrog pointed out about their being an evo version which are consumer drives.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

The EVO version is for consumers with enough money not to care. I would guess that if you have 1.5TB of games that you do not play all of them regularly. Steam libraries have grown too large to have all games installed at the same time.

13. HCdave

HCdave What's a Dremel?

way too expensive but nice to see capacity reaching good levels. Wondering how long before standard hard drives go the way fo the dinosaur and we only have SSDs, not too long i suspect.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm not sure either version is for consumers, professionals or anyone in particular. They're quite simply for people that need 2TB SSDs. If you need a 2TB SSD, it's a great deal, because alternative options aren't really there. It's clearly not priced at the "I'll have a 2TB SSD just for the hell of it" sort of level, so if you don't need one, don't worry about how much it costs.

From where I'm sitting, the fact that it's available to begin with is great, and the premium seems fairly manageable in terms of the cost per GB, if you need one, that is.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This.

Like the Intel NVMe SSDs or a Quadro/Firepro GPU, if you doing stuff that *needs* one, the price-tag is probably going to be a non-issue.

That said, I'll probably be sticking to spinny rust drives for bulk storage...

16. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

Hmm, if the price gets to 500AUDthen ill get one to replace my xbox HDD

17. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I prefer to keep all my games installed due to a slow internet connection, just like I can't stream video properly so the dvd or blu ray is purchased instead. So for me a hdd is ok for videos and music but for gaming a large ssd would be prefered.

18. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I use a pair of 500GB Samsung 840s in Raid0. Wicked fast (1058MBs) and good capacity. The only problem is the fast approaching M.2 spec will offer better speed and price.

19. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Glad to see someone else using RAID 0 on SSD's. BTW I also RAID 0 my Steam storage (2 x 2TB WD Black) drives as well... I like to live dangerously

20. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have a slow connection so I download a game, then use steam backup to back it up onto my 1tb HDD and then delete it from my ssd, the backup is then sat there waiting for me to install it when needed.

I have a 500gb SSD that only just over half full, I can't play all the games at once so therefore don't really need them all installed (which obviously wouldn't fit anyway).