1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Hunting Petition

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pookie, 13 Jul 2015.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Could it be something to do with the fox being chased for hours until it's so exhausted that it can't keep going, then finally having 20+ dogs descend on it ripping into its flesh, although there's probably some question over whether it's still alive at that point as it could have suffered a cardiac arrest from all that running.

I also thought the only other places in Europe where organised fox hunting with hounds is practiced are Ireland, France, and Italy.

2. megamale

megamale Minimodder

How is that different from the wild? Packs of wolves will happily tear through foxes, and other animals, in the same way. Maybe it's unpleasant to witness, but how is this more objectionable than gunning animals down (hunting). This is as low-tech as it gets.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It's true but they do it for food, for their survival and their offspring.

Humans do it for the pleasure of just killing something.

Most forms of hunting (gunning animals down ) is no less objectionable it's yet again killing for the pleasure of killing something and of course pinning it's head on the wall like some kind of trophy and a testament of their manhood.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What Teelzebub said. :thumb:

Also Wolves are opportunists, they test their prey, sensing any weakness or vulnerability through visual cues and even through hearing and scent, they don't just hunt down the nearest fox and chase it until the fox can no longer carry on.

The Predator - Prey relationship and what role that plays in nature is a whole other topic in it's self though, so I won't prattle on.

I could be talking out of my posterior here, but aren't there some form of rules or laws dictating how you should dispatch an animal with a firearm intended for that purpose in the UK?

5. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

Just that; it's wild, it's not being organised by humans.

6. megamale

megamale Minimodder

That's my point exactly. And yet, it's fox hunting that we ban and are petitioning against, not other forms of recreational hunting.

And for the rest of the responses, I am not arguing for or against hunting, or for or against animal cruelty. I am just saying that the focus on Fox hunting for legislation is more of a sign of aristocratic-bashing than that of animal welfare.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I would still disagree, fox hunting with hounds (imo) is far more stressful on the animal in question than most other types of hunting, or should we be calling it pest control?

I really don't see the same aristocratic-bashing that you do, sorry. Can't anyone with enough money pay to go on a simulated fox hunt? If so it seems more about reducing the suffering should it be decided to take a life.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2015
  8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It may be true for some the stick one to the aristocratic's thing but for the vast majority it's the cruelty in all forms of hunting that wrong and should be stopped, foxes today Deer tomorrow we can only fight one battle at a time or we will loose them all.

If humans want to hunt and kill something why not each other, seems somehow fairer and there's no chance of making the species extinct and tbh human life is no more deserving than animal life

They could have a game show man fight man type thing good prizes for the survivor

9. walle

walle Minimodder

Megamale raised a good point, people object to Fox hunting because of the "poor" Fox, It is an emotional reactionary response; then Megamale presents a logical argument, and the goalpost changes to all the sudden turn into "but people hunt for sport", again, that doesn't matter to the Fox one iota.

If you wanna argue against Fox hunting then make a moral argument from a human perspective, because again; the Fox doesn't care if its a pack of wolves hunting it or a pack of dogs led by a pack of humans.

As for Fox hunting it is a part of English history, tradition and culture. Those who are into it are into it. I understand their position.

Having said that.
    I'm not very much into hunting myself, unless you hunt to support yourself it should be avoided IMO. There's different kinds of hunting, some do it for sport (fox hunting)... not something I would actively support.

And here he nails it!

10. walle

walle Minimodder

We do that too, all Gods creations are included none are excluded.

Some of us even support wars of aggression under the guise of "humanitarian aid" and "bringing democracy" and "liberating the oppressed" supporters many of whom are leftist extremists. Kind of ironic don't you think? Some of them even make the argument that going into Afghanistan was OK since it meant we could force our own values onto these backwards Afghan goat herders.

But I digress....so back to the English Fox and the bashing of English aristocracy.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Humans are inonsistent in how they treat animals as well as their approach to everything else in life. [​IMG]

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Aren't our morals, what we consider to be right or wrong, based on our emotional reactionary response to something though? Isn't empathy our feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another, what guide our morals?

Don't we look at fox hunting with hounds and empathise with the fox because we know, if we had to be put to death, that we would want it to be as quick and painless as possible and not draw out over hours, we wouldn't want to be chased until we can no longer keep running.

Yes it could be argued that the fox doesn't care if its a pack of wolves hunting it or a pack of dogs led by a pack of humans, much like a human wouldn't care much if they were shot in the head or tortured to death over many hours. But that would (imo) be making a typical human mistake, that it's only humans that feel emotions even though we are increasingly realising that's not true.

And so have been many things in our pasts, but as we grow and learn more about the world around us we come to realise some things are not acceptable, wrong, or just plain cruel.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Are we wolves, or do we aspire to being something wiser and nobler?

There are many traditions that we now consider barbaric, superstitious, immoral. "But it's tradition" has never been a logical or valid argument.

My rule for hunting: you kill what you eat, and you eat what you kill.

14. theshadow2001

No, we are apes. A history I doubt we'll ever truly be free of.

15. Nexxo

True, but we can aspire to be something better.

16. theshadow2001

We can certainly aspire. Achieve is a different story however.

17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Very very happy SNP made the torys go home crying.
    Fox hunting is barbaric and sadistic. Absolutely no need for it to go on.

Tradition does no make horrific activities ok. And its simply idiotic to think so.

That said, the ban has made little to no difference with hunting with hound, as the police show very little interest in keeping an eye on what goes on. The only convictions are from when they are videoed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thousands-healthy-foxhounds---including-6061265
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33523329
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/former-fox-hunter-exposes-full-6054986
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ggs-bid-boost-population-illegal-hunting.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ity-to-be-used-in-illegal-hunts-10315129.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-drunk-woman-black-tie-ball-jailed-years.html

18. Nexxo

Naah, we've totally got this. Just give us another few million years...

19. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I highly doubt humans will exist in 100 000 years let alone millions.

20. Nexxo

Depends on whether we get our **** together as a species. If we do, we will prevail. If we don't, we don't deserve to.