1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer buys, then kills off, the Ouya

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Razer: "Sod off, it's our money now."

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Ouya people said it was the next best thing. But it never took off and I cant say I know anyone who owns one.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Ouya had the potential to be good but the developers put no effort into making it a good product. They just simply made something that worked and called it a day. I never understood why so many people pitched in to it - it seemed like a pretty stupid product to me from the beginning. They took the wrong approach.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Razer's own product will likely be the epitome of tacky-looking plastic trash. I hope it bombs.

6. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Seems like Razer purchased them just to remove another competitor to their Forge Tv from the market. No doubt they'll recycle some of the assets to get their money back

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

They purchased them for the talent mainly.

8. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yeah that makes sense, although one less competitor in the market can't hurt. Especially a well known (if troubled) company and at the end of the day it avoids problems further down the line. If for example someone else with deep enough pockets were to pull them from the grave. A shrewd business move at the end of the day, certainly nothing new.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Dont really think the entire idea of Andriod or IOS games on a big tv is ever really going to take off. Alot of the titles on offer are basically pick up and play for 5mins then put down.

Nvidia Shield stands the best chance of these ideas and thats mainly due to streaming off proper games.

10. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

A novel concept, but one that sadly didn't stand much chance when people were likely thinking 'Wii, Xbox or Playstation' for their console buying.

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

There are quite a few racing games that would work on the big TV, not to mention GTA. But for a fraction of the cost, you can pick up a MOGA-style controller and a Chromecast type device.

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Or, to put it another way: niche kickstarter project is implemented with questionable attention to detail and bombs horribly after initial wave of hyperventilation.

Number of surprise-o-trons (the fundamental particle of surprise) in world materially decreases.

P