1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I wont be googling (at work), but I can confirm the ladies of Newcastle are a hardy breed, and almost impervious to cold weather in "girls night out" mode.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Hardy and, if Google is to be believed, terrifying on their "night out".

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'm just gonna leave this here...

wolfticket likes this.
  4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Is it just me or has IOS got worse the last few years.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Nah... It was always terrible and you've only just noticed... [But yes, whilst i'm not a fan it does seem to have gone downhill since Ive was put in charge of the design side of it... imo]

6. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Agree - just things like there is often no distinction between text that is a label and that which represents a button - no outline etc signifying that you can click it. It's made worse by inconsistency of placement - buttons are sometimes at the bottom, sometimes at the top of a screen, even on those that you have to scroll down to fill all the inputs.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Beard is the first casualty of war - It started thinning, and frankly a thin beard isn't a beard at all, so I saw my chin for the first time in three years today.

My face is cold.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

inconsiderate neighbours...

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I've not had a good time with this "Easy and Painless" upgrade to Windows 10, first it fails a few times for various errors, all of which I fix, then it goes and completely Nukes C:, Windows 7 install disk wouldn't touch the partition with it's repair tools, and the W10 disk I burnt completely failed when I told it to repair it.

So, Windows 10 just bumped off my Windows 7 install, not the end of the world, I think, foolishly, I'll just install Windows 10 onto a clear system and go from there. Not to be. After it spends over three hours "Getting Devices Ready", it finally boots and politely informs me it'd lied to my face: Thee"Home 64bit" ISO I had downloaded from Microsoft's own Media Creation Tool was actually the 32bit version. So I've got to reinstall Windows Again. :sigh:

Next time someone claims that something is going to be "Quick and Painless" I might just kick them in the nads.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That's some bad luck. Took me about an hour to get it sorted and done last night. Only minor hiccup was having to plug my mouse into a different sub port (never having another Roccat)

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Not nice; having had a beard for the last 20 years, it does feel draughty round the chin when you take it off. It felt very odd last autumn when it all came off for Movember.
    Good luck with it all, thinking of you. My friend at LAN night this week was in a head scarf, as all her hair is leaving the building after 2nd session of chemo.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Yikes. I don't know what that feels like because I've never shaved, but some days I wear a hat/cap instead of my turban and I swear, it could 40°C out and my body is sweating profusely, but my ears will feel like they're about to freeze and fall off. It's so, so weird.

13. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

No internet since Wednesday, BT's website says nothing more than "major problem in your area" and a fix time that is always in a few hours time. Spent over 2 hours on the phone trying to get a straight answer from them, finally managing it get more information than their website has yesterday when they said 9am today definitely. Contacted them again when that didn't happen and managed to get a call back from someone who could find out what was going on only to be told that it would be at least another 48 hours.

This is the 2nd time in 8 months there as been a multiday outage here, meaning it will be more than a week out of my contract in total by the time its fixed this time. Looks like I'll be going ISP shopping when my contract runs out.

I've got tethering on my phone so I can still have some internet access, but the lack of information BT give out is driving me mad. :miffed::wallbash:

/rant

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Speaking of crappy information from BT

In the heart of suburbia, surrounded by cable and FTTC options aplenty, 60 homes stand united, on a 3mbit island forevermore, apparently.

15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Not life ruining, but just a rant.

It annoys me when people blame something that nobody else has had a problem with. Like windows 10. As an 'enthusiast' Skyrim player, I'm in touch with a lot of modding communities. This one person complain that 'Windows 10 crashes Skyrim'. Nobody else has this problem, at all. Hundreds, thousands of people who play this game have not had this problem. I wish people would research and get their facts right because throwing blame around.

16. Omega Point

Omega Point Minimodder

Update to my rant, just taken a wander and found out some idiot knocked over the FTTC cabinet. Given the old one is still lying on the ground, albeit with all the equipment removed, I suspect 48 hours could be optimistic. Even more annoyed now as BT have a simple explanation and aren't giving it.

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Been there mate. Virgin upgraded the street, but stopped next door (think the 2 drives worth of space between 2 semi detached houses). I rang them and they said they would extend their coverage to my house. Sweet.

One month later, 2 install teams failed to connect my house as they hadn't dug the street up yet. I find out on the day my EE contract ends that they are not doing the job. Their excuse, they can't afford it.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've been given the "your road isn't adopted yet" line for two years - road as adopted now so they've changed the reason... wished they would have said this two years ago.

They did suggest that I club together with my neighbours to fund the expansion of their network, so they can then sell us all a service using what we funded in the first place. I told them to insert that in their bumbum.

Sadly fixed wireless isn't an option on account of some large trees in the back, satellite isn't an option on account of the latency and there's no more unlimited fixed 3/4G plans.

I'm thinking I'll have to get on to someone at Virgin to highlight that not only are there at least 100 houses (turns out there's another close that's affected as well) that are dying for better internet, but BT has given them all two fingers, so what's not to like?

The ballpark costs I've heard from Virgin in the past of getting cabled up weren't even that awful (compared favourably to the cost of decent satellite for a couple years), but I went off that idea on principle... I get to fund the expansion AND pay full whack for the service, and then they get to drop flyers through all the neighbour's doors. Seems to me like the right way t do it would be for me to fund it and then get reimbursed an amount every time another subscriber comes on.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2015
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

My Grandad died last Sunday. He was more like a Dad to me, much more so than my own. Apologies for making the thread a bit morbid.