1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dremel vs Other Unknown Brand?..

Discussion in 'Modding' started by trueno!, 2 Aug 2015.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

For the "ODD" occasional mod job would THIS be suffice or would I be best to pony up for a Dremel just this ONE?..

Specifically I have a case with 8 expansion slots and I wanna chop off the 8th slot to give more space to fit in an old Dell 750w PSU that came from a Dell XPS 710 PC...

Would like to know your opinions/advice to get an understanding of the differences between these products...

Thanks all!.. :thumb:

2. SiberianGhost

SiberianGhost What's a Dremel?

The biggest different between the dremel and generic brand is the torque.

With a generic brand you'll have to be more shallow when you try to cut, if you put much pressure you can stop rotate the disc. You'll do the job but wasting more time and with an imperfectly cut (need more file later).

You can take the dremel as an investment because the generic should not take long before damage

3. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

The Dremel is £42 on Amazon.

My motto is Buy cheap, buy twice.

4. trueno!

Cheers for the response peeps!.. Any thing else I may need to be aware of as well?..

I see... So, in a way it's like the difference between the engine of Ford Fiesta ST and a standard Fiesta engine, more acceleration power and more power in general, better quality components I assume too I guess?..

I guess you can also say you get what you pay for, right?.. :D

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: I know that frame. Your first link is an old electric eraser design repurposed for grinding.

There are brands like Black & Decker that sell cheaper versions with similar power to dremel. I'm not a fan because they used to cost half that price and came with 100+ attachments.

7. trueno!

Was thinking THIS with that tenner off discount code from Amazon.co.uk, will get me one for less than £42?.. Even though this is more than triple the cost of the cheapo model on eBay and be pretty much way out of my budget, you all advice me that this will be a sound investment as this will stay useful for a long time to come, right?..

BUT, do I really need this for that occasional odd mod I need to do once in a blue moon?..

A link to a variety of choices would be nice!.. ;)

8. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

The generic one looks as cheap as its price, but Dremel aren't renowned for their high quality either. I have a Black & Decker rotary tool which has proven itself reliable over many years of use.

9. trueno!

As I'm basically just cutting and filing/buffing will these HERE ( used one ) HERE & HERE be a good combo?..

Hmm, is there an accessories kit that go with this that can get me to around £50 mark for me to receive that tenner off discount, essentially giving me that accessories kit for cheap?.. :p

10. trueno!

Well, it was an impulse buy only due to getting a tenner off :p but I went for the £57 Dremel 3000 25 piece kit from Amazon.co.uk... I hope I have many uses for this!.. Or it'll just sit wasting away on in the DIY box for the next odd mod job that I come across... LOL :p

Cheers all for your replies and advice!.. :thumb:

11. PhysicsFan

PhysicsFan What's a Dremel?

I have the exact same one. It is fine, but I use it maybe twice a year for those "it can only be dremmel" jobs. My biggest issue was working out what each head does. It is worth taking time to do that before attacking plastic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk