1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Design bit-tech's new site skin competition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 31 Jul 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Yukionno

Yukionno What's a Dremel?

Typo? "Submissions need to be made in this forum thread in a single post - before midnight on July 17th" in The key info.
    Unless someone has invented time travel already and not told me about it?

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Letting the community decide is a cool idea. Is there any prize or reward for winning this competition, or is it purely for the privilege of having your design on this wonderful website? (don't mean to come across as cynical here)

Is there a reason why each person can only submit one (pair of) skin(s)? I mean, isn't the more the better in this case?

Last edited: 31 Jul 2015
  5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I like it as it is..... :(

6. Combatus

Sorry - had intended to publish this earlier this month! The deadline is still 16th August and submissions are via email, but feel free to post your early designs and discuss anything else in this thread.

7. Combatus

Just the kudos of having your design on the website at the moment :)

If you want to submit more than one design feel free, but we'll only be entering one design from you for bit-tech and/or bit-gamer to the community vote. So if you have a couple, we'll relent and accept whatever you send, but we'll pick our favourite to go into the voting stage - just to keep things fair.

8. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Can you please enlarge the main content are of the site? 1920 wide at the very least (1080p is the most popular resolution by far), or even do a mildly dynamic site that scales for 2560 wide screens?

Right now it looks like this on my 2560x1600 screen, which is frankly, comically tiny.

Also, can we have a dark theme too (for both the main site and the forums)? Too much crap is bright white, despite having no reason to be (since there isn't a huge amount to be spent on ink).

EDIT: also, please, PLEASE, whatever you do, don't build a massive javascript webapp. Simple, plain HTML loads quick (faster than I can switch tabs on my miserly 20/1 ADSL connections) and renders well.. meanwhile something like The Verge's website is a bloated, slow piece of crap that takes a full 20seconds to load on a gigabit connection at Uni on a quad-core laptop with dedicated graphics and 16GiB of RAM, and that's just not acceptable. If I wanted the 56k experience, I'd use a 56k connection.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That's just a setting in the User Control Panel, at the bottom of the "Edit Options" page (change Forum Width from "Fixed" to "Variable"). Sadly the front page does not appear to have a similar setting.

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

AFAIK, there was a setting in the forum CP to switch between fixed width and variable (full) width. This was back when Jamie redesigned the site last, which was a good few years ago (I'm thinking maybe it was 2012?)

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Please, please don't listen to anyone who says it should be made to a fixed 1920-pixel width. I have a 1920x1200 display, and I run two browser windows side-by-side with each at around 960 pixels minus window decorations. At that, the current fixed width design is pretty much perfect. Naturally, a responsive design that accommodates any width of display would be preferable...

I can't quite imagine having a display 2,560 pixels wide and running a single browser window full-screen; surely every site looks ridiculous? Either it'll be a fixed-width strip running down the middle, or it'll take up the full width but even the longest articles will be three lines of text long and impossible to read...

12. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Yeah, that.

I often, (usually) have my web browser open on one half of my screen while having something else open in the other half. I just assumed most people did that...

13. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

This too. It'd be nice if the new site worked well on tablets and mobile phones. Yes you can double tap to zoom into content on the current site, but a responsive design is just that bit nicer.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Can breaking news items be announced by Miley Cyrus swinging across the screen on a wrecking ball? That would be cool.

15. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Incidentally, this what the site is like if you view it in one full size window at 3840 wide. I've scaled it down to not destroy people's internet connections, as the file size is slightly ridiculous :D

convenient if you dislike scrolling though...

16. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

When I'm not working, I'll have my browser opened maximized on my 2560x1600 screen for some very immersive browsing, since I have my IM windows on my left 1920x1200 screen and IRC on my right 1920x1200 screen.

When I'm working, I'll have many more windows tiles, but when I'm working I'm not really browsing the internet and reading bit-tech, am I?

Yes, I have a triple-screen setup, and for those wondering, yes, I will upgrade the side screen to 2560x1600, eventually...

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Could you share a couple of screenshots of your full-screen browsing? I'm genuinely curious to see how it works; I just tried the BBC News site at 1920-wide, and it takes up less than half the screen - of which about three-quarters is the content - with massive white bars down the side. I can only imagine how ridiculous it looks at 2560 wide - unless you're at a very high zoom level? Are there sites that work particularly well at such widths?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Aug 2015
  18. xeem

xeem What's a Dremel?

This sort of contest really worries me. As a design and long time Bit-Tech visitor, I had hoped not to see something like this. I'm a designer and developer, and have seen lots of design contest like this crop up over the years. They are what is referred to as speculative work. What this means is work is done with only the hope of reward for the individual.

This is bad for the business and the individuals doing the design work. For the individual, they are putting their time and effort into something they are unlikely to get rewarded for. For the company, they are getting something for free, but without the process designers normally go through: getting to know the business, understand the aims of the company, understand the limitations of the project. The whole point of this is a collaborative effort.

For more information, take a look here: http://www.nospec.com/design-contests

Obviously, some people would love to do this, and I don't want to spoil it for people, but given what I have seen with these kinds of contests going south quickly, I feel I have to speak out.

Pliqu3011 and Teelzebub like this.
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Exactamundo! Full screen browsing seems a waste of space.

Teelzebub likes this.
  20. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

It's just a background for the website. What's the worst that can happen?

Tags: Add Tags