1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Skylake: Intel Z170 Chipset and Core i7-6700K Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 5 Aug 2015.

1. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Zen will only be about as fast as Sandybridge in terms of IPC (according to their own 40% claim) but you'll likely be able to buy a 6 or 8 core Zen for the price of an Intel Quad Core.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its not much faster than the haswell iGPU (anand has results)

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Crysis was actually terrible for showing a difference between high-end Intel CPUs. We ditched it for our X99 testing for that reason - even with two R9 290's there was very little difference - less than BF4.

4. Combatus

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's flawed, as it can have an impact, especially once you introduce dual GPUs like we do with X99 testing. but it's very game-dependant and you're right that most are GPU limited anyway. There are other ways that CPUs are used in games, though, admittedly, but these are pretty tricky to gauge performance-wise.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

6. Combatus

OcUK was kind enough to loan us an i5 as we only got an i7 sample from Intel so only fair we list them for it, but yes it can be had for £10-15 cheaper elsewhere ;)

As we'll continue to 'use' those things in future reviews, we're talking generally here about past, present and future testing not just this review, where we 'used' these tests in the past :) Thanks for the other bits - all sorted now I think!

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Bummer, I was really hoping for better. Maybe once some M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSDs start hitting the shops, I may be tempted to upgrade.

8. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

for my single card and 1080p, i am still loving my i5 sandy bridge!!

9. Deders

Deders Modder

This video shows up the difference between an i5 and i7 devils canyon, i'm sure there would be a bigger difference if vsync was disabled but as you can see the i5 dips below 60fps more often than the i7, despite being overclocked.

The grass in this level is particularly CPU hungry, it maxes out all cores. it's also a great example of full CPU/GPU power draw, I've not seen any game draw this much power. One of my friend's PSU's blew out during this level.

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The idea that a game blew someone's PSU is hysterical. :D

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Indeed. So much fail and so much awesome all in the one incident

12. EurozoneEconomy

EurozoneEconomy What's a Dremel?

Surprised at the score of 85 from Bit-Tech. In every way (IPC, overrall performance gain, gaming performance, temps, voltage/frequency, power draw) this is the worst advancement from tick to tock (or even from gen to gen) from Intel in living memory. Likely the smallest advancement ever as we consider how Moore's Law has slowed to such a crawl only in recent years. In fact, looking at Skylake's gaming performance, it's now not a crawl forward but a creep backwards in performance.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

I had tried to enlighten him on the way of the PSU and all that Bit-Tech/CustomPC had taught me but he was sure it would be fine as it had been for other games. A lesson hard learned.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2015
  14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

@Deders, if you honestly believe that a game was responsible then I suggest you go back and re-read everything you have ever read about PSU's...

15. Deders

Deders Modder

Am very tired now so can't remember everything but from what I do remember, he'd bought it because it said 80+ on it, don't think it was even bronze or on the 80+ website. The 12v rails didn't add up to anywhere near its rated wattage and it didn't have much protection on it.

16. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

This is worth a read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/14

The R7 240 used in the comparison is slower than the 750Ti... but not a bad benchmark against a $70 (~£45) GPU.

Apart from the rather steep pricing on Skylake... the motherboards aren't cheap either =/

17. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The pricing is the same as Haswell, it's not steep but rather normal. It's Intel, it's new, it's going to sell, so milk the cash cow! :D

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the gtx 750ti is twice as fast as the 240.....

19. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That it is. However, you'd go down the Broadwell route if you needed the iGPU performance. Skylake is aimed at enthusiasts and gamers with dedicated cards whom are NOT looking to use the iGPU.

20. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I still love my 2500K, but over time I realised that I do things that would benefit from HT more often than I once thought. If I upgrade now, the 6700K would be my choice, but I'm going to put it off a little longer to let DDR4 and the boards mature a bit (read as drop in price).

But it finally looks like a good enough reason to upgrade and a good excuse to get the HT enabled CPU this time.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2015
Tags: Add Tags