1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Books you are currently reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 7 Nov 2010.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Not quite that "simple", but you're in the ballpark.

The way it is written it sometimes makes it seem like the main character is a teenager. Trying way too hard to be funny and edgy, whilst at the same time forcing across the fact that this character is also a highly educated and well trained astronaut. If you can get past those things however, it is a good read - and even quite tense at times.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2015
  2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I just finished "THe intelligent Entrepreneur" By Bill Murphy Jr.
    A colleague gave it to me, so it seemed rude not to read it, though it is pretty much the typical "how to business by using irrelevant examples" class of book. I found Branson's "Screw it.." better.

Now reading:
    Ben Collins - How to Drive
    Because The Stig is bound to have some driving advice to any and everyone.

3. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Started the new Ernest Cline book 'Armada' last night. Damn this guy writes books that I want to read.

So far I'm loving it every bit as much as Ready Player One. All being well, should finish it this weekend.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just finished The Meating Room by T.F.Muir, first book of his I've read, some good old Scottish crime drama type thing.

Then The Forgotten by David Baldacci, only read one of his books before (I think) but I really enjoyed it. This one had the 'problem' of a great first 3/4, then it felt kind of rushed in the finale, still worth a read though.

5. veato

veato I should be working

Hitch-22 should be delivered today.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Currently reading Starship Troopers as I picked it up on the kindle the other day for 99p. Some of the same characters as the film but mostly it's completely different - I'm very much enjoying it so far.

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

It's a mediocre book by a great author. Buy all the Heinlein!

8. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

The Long Earth by Sir Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

Liking it thus far, but really waiting in a mixture of eagerness and sadness the final Discworld book next month.

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Just started the "Dreamers Series" by David Eddings. Hasn't captured my imagination like the Belgariad did, but seems OK so far.

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It might be a cliche, but I love Neil Gaiman. I've not read nearly as many of his books as I want to though.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I went from a prolific reader to someone who finds even magazines a chore. This became noticeable after chemo/radiation therapy for throat cancer. I have not read a book in six years, bought a Dummies book for my camera and still only a dozen pages in after a year. Most odd.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I don't read whilst at uni for some reason, been back home a couple of weeks and I'm on my 3rd book, having read nothing at uni all year (despite having books with me).

It's weird.

13. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

I read a lot of science fiction/fantasy, though most of the time it has been Pratchett whenever its been released and then finding other authors randomly on my kobo.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Will start How to Archer today... probably late to party, still excited.

15. veato

veato I should be working

Whilst waiting for Hitch-22 to arrive I grabbed The Shock of the Fall on Kindle and a 1/4 of the way in I'm really really enjoying it.

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Clive Barker has a new Hellraiser related book out that I'm currently going through, The Scarlet Gospels.

So far so good, Pinhead's as nasty as ever (even more so if anyone actually calls him Pinhead...)

17. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Read through The Long Utopia whilst at the cabin a couple of weeks back. A very good end to the series, and I do hope Stephen Baxter can find someone worthy of replacing Terry Pratchett as co-Author. There is a lot of material to build further stories on, and I for one would love to revisit the Long Earth universe again.

18. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Technically there should've been a fifth in the series (that's what they were contracted for); haven't read the Long Utopia yet so don't know if they wrap it off neatly, but wonder if a fifth will be forthcoming?

19. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I do hope so because Utopia does leave a few threads open. It begs the question however; who, if any, can replace Pratchett?

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I'd just let Baxter to write it on his own, I'm sure he's been doing most of the writing anyway what with Pratchett's Alzheimer's...