1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I think I'll do the upgrade and then extract the key code and compere it to the key code of the win 7 if it's a different code then all good ( hopefully :worried: ) if not or no code I'll roll back to the win 7 OS

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm only going on what I've read so happy to be corrected, but I've read that some have tried their existing 7/8 retail product keys when doing a fresh install of 10 only to be told that the key is invalid.

Not saying you can or can't, its just going on what others have said it seems even when using a retail copy of 7/8 as the upgrade platform you still end up with a version of 10 that's using a generic key.

I'm not sure if comparing the code you extract from 10 with what you upgraded from would tell you if all was good, everything I've read and what DragunovHUN said seems to point towards getting a different key but that it's going to be the same generic key that every other version of 10 is using.

3. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I've upgraded my Win 8.1 Home Premium Laptop (OEM) and Win 8.1 Pro PC (Upgrade licence) to windows 10.

Both devices upgraded fine, once completed I used ProduKey to extract the licence keys - they both had newly generated licence keys for Win 10, I then proceeded with a fresh install from ISO with the new licence key & they installed and activated fine.

Hope this helps.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you tried searching Google for those product keys?
    If they're generic keys you'll probably get a good few results, or you could check it against a list on Ghacks.

5. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

As useless as before :).

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

A friend who recently bought a new win 8.1 laptop got an email today from the place she bought it that if she does the win 10 upgrade it will affect the warranty on the laptop WTF

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Windows 10 service agreement stirs espionage fears in Russian Communists
    https://www.rt.com/politics/312172-windows-10-service-agreement-stirs/
    I get the feeling Russian MPs won't be the only ones calling for a ban on Windows 10, it seems Microsoft are stretching the meaning of "user consent" what with that consent being automatically opted into.

Beware of Windows 10 DNS resolver and DNS Leaks
    https://medium.com/@ValdikSS/beware-of-windows-10-dns-resolver-and-dns-leaks-5bc5bfb4e3f1

Last edited: 12 Aug 2015
  9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I've now got W10 on my linx and I prefer 8 tbh. It doesn't feel like it's finished and I actually miss the charms. The nook ereader app also doesn't work correctly, Edge is worse imho being more cluttered since it runs like a desktop program and not like metro ie which was fullscreen and also had swipe gestures. Not really a fan of having the taskbar staying on top.

Everything also feels like it's designed for use with your left hand. All app list, on the left, power button, on the left, app settings, on the left, app navigation, on the left. It's not too bad in landscape mode, but portrait makes it's more difficult. I suppose it's a case of getting used to it.

I suppose on a desktop it's going to be a step into the right direction, on a tablet it feels like a step in the wrong direction. If your a tablet user that holds it in one hand a prods/pokes with the other you'll probably get used to it easily enough. As someone who holds their tablet in two hands and could do pretty much everything just by running my right hand along the right edge of the screen, it's going to take some getting used to.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

For all of it's faults, Win 8.1 was actually pretty good for tablets, and I agree with loftie that Win 10 feels less suited to tablet use than 8.1 did. That said, I was using my Linx with a mouse and keyboard the other day and I definitely prefer 10 to 8.1 for that control method, but not for touch only.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I suspect it's mostly just getting used to it. Hell it might make me a bit more dexterous with with my left hand :D

The nook ereader app has now decided to work, though it reminds me that it's no longer available in my area whenever it starts up, and hiding the taskbar is good for tablet mode, although that synced to my PC and hides it on my desktop >.< I also pinned the Recycle Bin to Quick Access.

Edit: After more playing, Onedrive has kinda been screwed over. No more online only files as this was 'too complicated', at least as far as I can tell. It seems that you can add one drive as a network drive as a work around.

Onedrive also now allows you to fetch files from your PC, sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not sure I want there to be access to my entire PC from Onedrive. It also rather oddly shares libraries, so all my desktop homegroup shared libraries are on Onedrive too.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2015
  12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Think it's right to post here rather than start a new thread...

Had an interesting occurrence when upgrading to Win 10 yesterday:

C:\ Win 7 Retail
    D:\ Exact copy of above using DriveImage, so can test Win 10 before committing
    E:\ Data
    All on the one SSD

I upgraded D:\ to Win 10 and opted to Keep Nothing, but when I then logged into Win 7 to check it was still working, my desktop settings had changed (zoom scale/large icons) and all the non-MS apps and programs had been uninstalled, such as antivirus etc..

Anyone have any idea what might have caused this?

14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Because your D: upgrade still pointed at c for programs / setting and so removed them

Ie your cloned OS still said x program is installed @ c:\program files\etc......

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I found win 10 has a hefty system killing memory leak just like win 8.1, fixed by a quick change in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu

change Start from 2 to 4

Sorted. :)

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah. Damn.

Thanks for clearing that up though. I do use junction points on my builds to keep the data and user folders separate, so perhaps the best way would have been to back up to an external drive first, then worst case I could have restored my Win 7 over the top of C: again.

17. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

anyone having issues with win 10 Calendar/mail function not working? I was messing about with Cortana to see how it worked and from doing so discovered the calender doesn't work at all ?

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It can be a bit spotty, sometimes it saves events to my calendar, sometimes cortana keeps it to herself... IIRC reminders are kept in cortana only but events created in cortana should save to your outlook.com calendar [your microsoft account].

Need to play a bit more, was waiting for the droid app to be a bit more finished before having a proper play with it.

19. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

So, I've now upgraded 3 PCs to Win10, in the middle of number 4...

I really like 10, three machines had 7 and just one 8 (only just bought it so not really experienced 8). I feel 10 is a good step forward, BUT the upgrade path is terribly flakey - it's going to ruin the experience for the masses...

Two of the machines I've upgraded have been from clean installs, yet after the upgrade Win10 is buggy - Edge won't open (self closes immediately), installers won't display lists... incompatibilities with Office (!!) - silly bugs that shouldn't be there.

I dare say many of us here would never 'trust' an upgrade install but hey, this is a PC forum :)

I've clean installed (not keeping data) and its fixed everything, but Joe Public might not want to/know to do that.

Just my 2p...

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Anyone know if I roll back to 8, can I re-upgrade again within the 1 year period or is that it?