1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 980Ti owners thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 20 Jun 2015.

1. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, decisions, decisions....

Thanks again.

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Anybody else having problems with Windows 10? My SLI'd 980Ti's work fine when I boot in, but after 5-10mins my screen will flash black and Device Manager throws up an error mark and says I need to restart for them to work properly.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Can you create a secondary boot OS, so if you have any issue you can boot to that until such time as the win 10 issues get ironed out over the coming days weeks months?

Good to have win7 64bit to boot to, stick another 128gb ssd there, should be able to access your data drives from the 128gb.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Got a 40" 4k TV yesterday, the 980Ti runs most games perfectly at 4k 60hz, do have to tweak game settings to get smooth FPS on the most demanding games but overall I don't see point in buying a 2nd 980Ti so would have been fine sticking with mini-ITX.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I think I can say this is the best card I've ever had.
    Witcher 3, 2560x1440, all settings on ULTRA + "hair something" on - 60fps all the way.

N.I.C.E. :D

Now, need to try supersampling on Elite Dangerous and DK2...

6. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

My MSI arrived yesterday, but trust my luck, the Internet's down until Monday as well -.-', so won't be able to get new drivers or my planned W10 upgrade this weekend.

I noticed that it comes with 2 8pin PCIEs with a 6pin-to-8pin adapter in the box... Think that'll be alright to use in the meantime whilst I go PSU shopping, since the reference spec is 8pin+6pin anyways...

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Download them on your phone and transfer it! :D

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Got a great deal on a Zotac GTX 980 Ti in the end.

Installed it for a play and it holds up very well. It handles The Witcher 3 pretty well at 1440p, looks better than it did with GTX 780 Ti SLI at the very least. Tried some idle overclocking and it was stable at just over 1500MHz when running the Valley Benchmark. Although I did manually set the fan at 100%!

Under normal operation I can't get over how quiet the fan profile is. Seems to tick over around 40% speed maintaining a temperature range of around 83 degrees on the GPU.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's the Titan coolers for you. They're fabulous.

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

My Palit has custom cooler - fans won't start till certain temps. Even during Witcher 3 they are silent. AWESOME card:D

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Being a blower cooler only type of guy (my case works best that way), the Titan cooler on the 980 I got from Jinq is actually a huge upgrade from the 970 cooler - especially under load.

Yeah apparently that Palit is the absolute dogs danglies! Jello!

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Playing with some overclocking in tandem with a more aggressive fan profile and I'm getting +260 on the core and +300 on the memory. In real terms this equates to a Boost Clock of 1336MHz but actually it maintains a Maximum Boost Clock of 1475MHz. Memory goes to 7.6GHz effective with a 1903MHz clock reported in GPUz. Stable in benchmarks and real games but I'm sure it has a little more to give!

Pretty damned good for the cheapest and lowest range reference GTX 980 Ti. Overclocked it beats all the other retail cards currently released at their default clocks. Not at all shabby! :D

13. Parge

And that's why you should never pay extra for over clocks!

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Yeap! Gratifying all the same! Considering putting the savings towards those EVGA Hybrid units...

http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=400-HY-0996-B1&family=Accessories - Hardware&uc=EUR

Makes sense since the GTX 980 Ti is limited by the TDP unless you want to tolerate insane fan speeds from the reference cooler! Pushing the clocks to 1500MHz Maximum Boost at the moment and it's looking promising stability wise. Hybrid cooler would help maintain this heady overclock with a sensible noise level. Scored the ZOTAC for less than £450 so even with the Hybrid unit it'll be under £540 total. Saves £100 over a retail EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid. However with ZOTAC that does mean sacrificing the warranty, so there is a downside.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Might be hitting the limit now. Increased the Power Limit to 106%, Core Clock +270, Memory Clock +500. Ran it through 3DMark and unlocked the 'Free PC Upgrade' achievement which is given when you score 10% higher than the previous submission. Forgotten the exact number but it beat my GTX 780 Ti SLI configuration hands down. That's a pretty big jump from one generation of GPU to the next!

16. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Snagged an EVGA 980 Ti SC+ ACX2 when visiting parents back home in Canada... saved about 100 quid off the UK price and they price matched online... can't wait to plug it in in a few days and take it for a spin!

17. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

Scan have a Zotac 980 Ti for sale @ £509.99, i like the idea of the 5 year warranty, But i've read mixed things about zotac and when i tried to find out info about the ArticStorm they were less than helpful and told me if i swapped the barbs on the unit it would void its warranty even though it stated on the box it it was compatible with allot of systems.. so it kinda put me off them but the price point for warranty

I've always purchased EVGA cards in the past, but struggling to find one cheaper than £550 and the £40 difference is it worth it ? i also no with evga you can extend the warranty to 5/10yrs, and i've read online they are good for aftermarket coolers

Finding it very hard to find the card i want lol i plan to put a EK waterblock on the card i buy, I did love the Hyrbid cooler from Zotac thought it was something different, shame the Asus Poseidon isnt out lol

any advice or feedback would be appreciated really wanting to get my card sorted lol

18. Parge

I had a Zotac. Brilliant card (best Overclocker ever), but I never used their Warranty service.

I think EVGA are the only company that don't mind you messing with the hardware (installing a WB).

19. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

The performance figures of the ArcticStorm (thermals/noise/efficiency) have been a bit mixed from what I've heard ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF7AVEJHrlQ ). It's definitely a bit of a wonky idea that might be a better option after a second revision.

This is the same reason I held off buying a card in the UK. The only ones that were coming on sale often were the Zotac and Palit cards (like the Super JetStream) around the £510-520 range. But I wanted the international warranty from EVGA and ability to fiddle with the card in case I ever wanted to go that way. The SC+ I picked up back home came out to £410 when converted from Canadian back to GBP- interestingly it was one of the cheaper 980 Ti's despite its non-reference design.

I was also mulling the 980 Ti Hybrid with the AIO pre-installed as it would still be cheaper than the cheapest 980 Ti reference in the UK... but there seem to be reports of issues with pump whine/inconsistent batches.

My fallback option to the SC+ would have been the MSI 980 Ti 6G or the Asus Strix. I tend to avoid Gigabyte as I am 2/2 for defective GPU's from them and 1/1 on defective motherboards.

20. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

I am still really torn.. I love how the artic storm looks, and to get a card watercooled pre done so i done have so i don't have to mess around is amazing and its currently on offer at OCUK for £599.

Its just the swapping of the barbs i've heard very mixed reports some people say they are not g1/4 and others said they are lol