1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Yep, you can.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@loftie, Can't see why not, in theory if you upgraded to 10 and the activation servers have generated a hardware ID you should be able to reinstall 10 anytime you like, even after the first year "free" upgrade offer as long as your hardware hasn't changed drastically.

Although I'm only guessing so maybe someone else can either offer confirmation or rebuttal.

Out of curiosity and changing subject slightly, has anyone remained in the Insider program now Windows 10 has been released? Just curious how the release has effected the amount of people in the beta testing program.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Ta people, I will be taking my Linx back to 8.1 when I've got a moment then. Will reupgrade a bit later and hopefully it'll feel a bit more finished.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Nobody got a response to my question?

5. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

I can't answer your question but I have the same situation... Files are there but no notification to install. It still says you will be notified when ready... Maybe I have some unsupported hardware stopping the install ?????

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

MS are activating the update in waves. Either wait till it notifies you that you can upgrade or just force the issue by using the media creation tool.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The order i registered was Desktop, laptop, tablet. Desktop i "forced" via media creation tool. Tablet got it yesterday. Laptop didn't get it yet.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Probably this, 4 out of 5 of my machines have updated, none were notified I just used the USB stick method but the one that won't work has an Intel GPU that Intel have not provided and driver for (original Atom SOC in Win 8 tablet :( )

9. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I saw three system installs immediately just from Windows Update, the next two wouldn't touch it so I ended up forcing it with the media creation tool. I don't think it's down to hardware in most cases as these were identical 6200 SFF boxen.

Relatively painless so far, Corsair Link needed a little bit of a kick and I get an odd squelch when some games load but sound then reverts to normal. It happens both on the onboard card and the mixamp so doesn't appear to be driver related. Other than that I'm finding it to be very stable and Ye Gods is it ever responsive! It makes the divide between office and home systems even more irritating though...

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Both my laptop and desktop are now on Windows 10 (both were on Windows 7 x64). The update tool hung on both, so I just gave up and loaded Windows Update - which worked first time.

The Edge browswer is a little slow and hangs a bit on my laptop, but is very slick on my desktop. I think I might need to do a clean install on the laptop - to iron out the bugs.

Overall I'm very please so far - can't complain for free.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Windows 10 Won’t Run Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Windows 10 is fine on ma laptop but tried to use it on my desktop and just problem after problem with nvidia oh and not to mention it isn't supported by my mobo =/

13. creative

creative 500rwhp

For those waiting for the update to come through just use the media tool. I upgraded a laptop today that needed nearly 200 updates under windows 7 (dont ask!) I just thought stuff it, downloaded the media tool and installed windows 10.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I had the most unpleasant experience with 10 update. It had tried dozens of times to update itself through Windows update. I went though many various error codes that it had each time. Prompting me to try all manner of various 'fixes'. Finally, I came upon a common thread... problems with upgrading on pci-e ssd, where if it would run at all it would take literally HOURS and HOURS to even load the 'copying files' portion of the setup to eventually bomb out on the installing drivers and features stage if it even managed to get that far.
    So I had to clear out my secondary disk and then clone my install from my pci-e ssd to my old sata ssd that I was using for data. Then the update went off relatively well and completed successfully. I then went to clone it back to my pci-e ssd... but once singed onto the desktop the screen started flashing green so was unusable. I booted back into the install on the sata ssd, and retrieved the license key out of it, and went on to try a fresh install. Well... that didn't work either, but it set up the disk partitions differently... so then I cloned only the data portion of the install on the sata drive, as in only C: and left on the new Recovery and efi partitions from the unsuccessful fresh install atempt... and finally voila. A working isntal of Windows 10 on the drive pci-e ssd it should be on.
    I hadn't followed the development in the later stages of the preview builds so some things have been changed, definitely for the worse in my opinion. While I don't like these changes I will see if I can do anything about them with mods/hacks or even get used to them. Otherwise... I will probably be going back to 8.1 as I like it much better and so far 10 has no relevant new features to me besides some of the under the hood stuff, DX12 (which won't even probably really be relevant for at least 2-3 years yet), and the updates to command prompt. Too many things seem like really bad moves and huge steps backwards to me. After all that hassle to get 10, only to want to get 8.1 back.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

For those opted-in to the Insider Preview there is a new Fast Ring build - 10525

16. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I've had W10 installed for a couple of weeks now and unfortunately a few niggles have developed.

Lightroom often freezes for 10-20secs each time I try to move the spot removal circle around an image.
    I get a DPC Watchdog violation on bootup.
    I get crackly sound on some audio but not others (YouTube adverts are bad).

I'm also unsure where I stand regarding reinstalling W10 in the future if I change my mobo, so at the moment I'm seriously considering rolling back to W7 before my 1 month "run away!" period expires.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I can't say one way or the other but if you have the time it maybe worth reading this thread on the tenforums, particularly the comments from WhyMe.

I would be interested in how people interpret things though.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Win 10 started freezing for me yesterday requiring a forced shutdown, was fine the days before, frozen 3 times yesterday & once today so far.

Seems to happen when playing a video in background with media player classic while browsing internet with ie11, multitasking basically.

Only find this that seems slightly relevant.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/17/windows-10-new-crash-loops/

Oh yeah, already tried going back to win 8.1 but win 10 gets forced by windows update, I'd rather use win 10 in a year so all main bugs are gone.

19. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Only problem I have is the utility for my Xonar DG doesn't work anymore meaning I cannot select rear output.

Will have a play about this evening.

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Anybody else had the issue of scrolling through photos / slideshow ? I must have 100 photos in a folder yet when I scroll through it only scrolls through 2, same with the slideshow it only slideshows two photos.