1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 980Ti owners thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 20 Jun 2015.

1. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

980ti Choices

I was really keen on the Arctic Storm for a while but they weren't in stock at the time, and neither were the hydro coppers. I'm not sure the whole Arctic Storm hybrid air/water is great unless you really need to go on air for a while then push to water. That's what I was going to do if they were in stock, since I can't go under water properly until I move in a few weeks. They are the cheapest pre-built water cards however, so that's pretty intriguing.

In the end I settled for the MSI Gaming 6G. Decent overclock, which I figure means that these GPUs are likely binned as higher quality. EK are working on a water block for these - they've already released on for the Strix. Once that comes in, I'll water block them. At the end of the day I'll have something like the EVGA hydro coppers at a somewhat lower price, but I was able to jump much sooner. I'll also still have the fan cooling setup that I can revert back to if I want to sell these later to someone without water, or if I want to use them in an air build later in their life if necessary. I presume that's possible - I've never reverted to air from water before.

There was a comment earlier around VRAM vs the Titan X. Honestly, I think this is a non-issue for SLI users at least. There's nothing that realistically needs more than 6GB right now, and DX12 will completely change how GPU RAM is pooled. Instead of Alternate Frame Rendering, DX12 will assign parts of the scene to each GPU. It won't scale perfectly by any means, but the game developer in theory has access to the full sum of RAM across both GPUs rather than having simply two copies of the same game assets. 980Ti SLI therefore offers anything up to 12GB VRAM in DX12. It's going to be plenty between now and the next round of flagship GPUs I think. Game developers are going to have to primarily develop for the 99.9% of people with single GPUs.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2015
  2. roosauce

BTW - I see that Scan has the hydro copper for £671.98. It's more like £750 on overclockers right now and OCUK's hand-built EK water + reference Ti is sitting at £660. That Scan price makes the hydro copper a lot more attractive!

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

This Palit Super Jetstream 980Ti is awesome! Last night I played Elite Dangerous for 3 hours on full details x1440 res and it didn't even started its fans!

4. roosauce

No fans? That's pretty cool (pun intended)

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If the fans didn't spin then your card would have been toast. It must have spun with minimal speed at the very least!

Just installed an EVGA Hybrid NVIDIA GTX GTX 980Ti Cooler on my primary Zotac card. It certainly does the business! After an hour playing The Witcher 3 it hit a maximum temperature of 50 Degrees. My only complaint is that the supplied fan for the radiator maintains its maximum speed at all times. I might experiment using my old 1850RPM Scythe Gentle Typhoon attached to a motherboard fan header and see if I can set a more sensible fan profile from the BIOS.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, that's retarded isn't it. They need to offer a software solution where the fan profile can read and respond to the VRM temps rather than either being on full at all times, or reading the temps of the GPU and not giving the VRMs enough airflow.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just experimenting with it now Parge!

Replaced the EVGA fitted fan with a Scythe as I mentioned above. Plugged directly into the motherboard the noise is much better and being an ASUS MOBO I should be able to directly alter the fan speed with Fan Xpert. I've not used this software before but hopefully it'll give me the control over fan speed that I want. With the 1850RPM Gentle Typhoon I did see an increase in temperature by 2 degrees which isn't enough to cry about! If this Fan Xpert works out then I do have some higher RPM Scythe fans around that I'll experiment with. Hit that noise to performance sweet spot! :D

Also worth adding the EVGA stock fan can only work at one speed since it's 2 wires connected to a 3-pin fan header. Shame really because the rest of the Hybrid Cooler apparatus feels premium.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Fan Xpert works quite well! Going to try this bad boy next...

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 3000 RPM! The range of speed is the beauty of using this fan on a rad. Get it right and the noise is inaudible while shifting a decent quantity of air. Also have the luxury of high RPM for the sheer hell of it! Proabably be hitting the maximum heat transfer of the rad beyond a certain RPM. Although I might need to employ a Delta Server fan to confirm that! :D

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

With the 3,000 RPM Typhoon installed at full speed the GPU maintains a temperature of 43 degrees which is the maximum whilst in game! That's just for the hell of it but proves this Hybrid kit is very capable. Since the fans attached to the motherboard I tidied the fan power cable away underneath the shroud and it all looks rather splendid. Highly recommend replacing the stock EVGA fan with a more capable alternative.

10. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

So I've been using my EVGA 980 Ti SC+ / ACX 2.0+ for 4 days now and I've noticed that my clock speeds a bit different than what is stated on the tin.

The SC+ is rated at 1102Mhz Base Clock and 1190Mhz Boost Clock. I've been using the EVGA PrecisionX 16 to monitor the GPU and I've noticed that without changing any settings in the card, it is boosting to 1350Mhz on its own. Definitely not complaining, as it's 160Mhz over the advertised boost clock, but curious to see as I thought that would only be the case if I overclocked the card. Not sure if ASIC quality has anything to do with it but the Kingpin card ( http://www.evga.com/articles/00944/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-KINGPIN/#BuyNow ) is offering a 76% ASIC for $999... and GPU-Z is reporting that my card has an ASIC of 76%...

... a Kingpin in disguise?

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Do you have a custom fan profile used or are you running on a test bench?

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

There's a weird rattly sound on it at low rpm in that video.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Not really. The kingpin just guarantees a certain ASIC quality. 76% isn't even particularly high.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Scythe fans get a bad reputation for this but I've never experienced the problem first hand.

There's a Boost clock and a Maximum Boost clock. The 1350MHz observed is the latter! :thumb:

15. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Bit of a random one but a few days ago I saw a 980 ti with the writing lit up on it. For the life of me I can't find it now does it ring a bell for anyone?

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

That's the reference cooler version.

17. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Cheers dude!

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

My MSI GTX 980Ti which I bought in June just randomly died, first the screen went blank, then it rebooted, then the green LED lit sign disabled, then the fan sped up to what I guess was full, then another reboot, tried it in a different slot & nothing so am now using the built in Intel graphics on the CPU.

Contacted MSI for an RMA, waiting.

To be honest I've really gone off most games now anyway, especially pc games, latest highly anticipated games have failed to keep me interested for more than an hour & I seem to enjoy the interactive movie/game types now which are few & far between so won't be getting another GPU, if MSI replace the faulty one I'll sell it as soon as I get it.

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Nooooooooo!!!!!.....
    Well, if you won't use it that much, then selling it would be in place:(

20. stormbringer500

stormbringer500 What's a Dremel?

Well it arrived this afternoon Asus Strix and ran a quick test and doesn't go higher than 65 degrees and fan speed sits at a nice 34%. One issue I have got is the main monitor goes black for few secs then back on again not sure what the issue is not happening on secondary I have ran an error check and comes up nothing.