1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Buying watches

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 30 Aug 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

IWC are really nice but I can't get a pair of them for 2k.

Where would I find the biggest goldsmith in London?

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

double post

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Brent Cross shopping centre or Wimbledon.

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Cant fault Christopher ward watches. I have 7 myself and my wife has 2. They feel as though they cost multiple times as much as what you pay for them with the quality on par with the likes of Omega and other such brands.

Some of the finer movements such as the Sh21 are up there with the best and in cases are arguably better than those you may find in the likes of your Rolex and Tags etc.

The trident series are superb as are the C9 however I always go mechanical movement and where possible COSC.

I am currently wearing an C11 Titanium and it is fantastic although I did swap the strap out for a 22mm bracelet type at the cost of around £100.

The C9 Single pusher is a fantastic watch that I would love to add to my collection however I already have an C9 with date window so I think that the Single pusher will have to wait.

Other brands that are feel as though they are worth far more than they cost include Steinhart although the Steinhart stuff really does play the homage game rather than making its own versions of a certain style.

Other brands to look out for that have a decent quality include

Rolex
    Breitling
    Tag
    Omega

High end Citizen, Casio Edifice and Seiko with the Japanese movements are also rather well built and very accurate. They are in cases almost as good as most swiss movements but a fraction of the price and as a result don't hold the same prestigious brand perception.

If it was me I would personally buy the following.

Christopher Ward C9 Single Pusher for a nice dress watch. (£3kish)
    Christopher Ward C60 trident COSC for a sports watch and Rolex Sub/Omega Ocean master like look that's fresh and its own design. (£1.6k)
    Christopher Ward C11 Titanium for a sports watch that's a bit different although it again has design cues from other well know brand styles. (£1-1.2k depending on strap)

Christopher ward is an upcoming brand that has been growing and increasing in price as the years have gone by. Now is the time to get a watch at a good price (sub £3k) before the brand evolves and awareness grows as only 18 months ago the brand was selling its highest end watches for sub £2k and now it has watches in the mid £3k area.

Christopher Ward however doesn't run a womens section anymore as they have 38mm versions of the 42mm C60 for example that they are finding more and more ladies are buying.

Hope this helps!

5. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Far more effort in this post than mine but I can't agree more.

You're right about the prices, I have 6 CWs some from the early days and they are all rising in value.

I had mates that have 4/5/6k Tag's and Rolex's that saw my (£900) C700 Grande Rapide and said they might upgrade to similar one day :naughty::naughty:

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I do like the C700. Almost Rolex Daytona-like but with a more modern and fresh twist. It should age quite well too given the classic references to the design.

I do like a good watch! :D

7. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Maybe CW are stalking this forum. Look what dropped through the door today!!!

[​IMG]

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Clearly the superior choice is the Casio Data Bank. It gets rave reviews. I particularly like the band, which has an infinite number of positions.

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

lol, got mine too! Not too sure on the new c9 flyer though, I think its likely the strap.. not traditional enough for me given the status of the brand and what its trying to stand for.. a little like the battery power trident range that launched.. sacrilege

10. silk186

silk186 Derp

I found the watches we want. 2 Longines - now to find a good place to buy them from. Mine is not hard to find but hers is. We went to Hatton Garden today and found that they are not good for watches. Than we went to Stratford Mall and only Ernest Jones carries Longines but not the one she wants.

Does anyone have any suggestions of an area with lots of watch shops?
    I'm specifically looking for this one for her.

We are getting them for out wedding and don't have time to order them into the UK (4 weeks+). It would be nice to find a place that could negotiate the price a little.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Sep 2015
  11. bsp

bsp Minimodder

My tissot needed a service after a little while and it'll cost me at least £120, possibly £300.

Just won't keep the time right any more.

Suggestion is that you keep it in a cupboard with the mechanism out to prevent it from ticking. When you want to wear it then set the time and push the little crown in.... or you could be loaded enough to afford all of that yearly/biyearly.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

If mine needs servicing I will get it done in China while I watch.