1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft 'Munchkin' Windows Mobile dock leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Sep 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Just for starters I think I'd wait until they release an updated version with USB 3.1 with the Type-C connector. Seems silly to buy in to something new if it is limited to a connector that is being phased out.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I dunno, I kinda want one. Might even be the thing that tempts me away from Android...

4. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

⊙_ʘ
    Gareth has been hacked!

5. Gareth Halfacree

The wife has a Lumia 1020, and aside from Internet Explorer drinking the battery if you have the temerity to leave even a single tab open in the background - despite being set to not even run in the background - it's pretty lovely. Android, on the other hand, gets worse by the release - Lollipop bites the big one. I mean, there's no way to silence the phone yet still have alarms work. How ridiculous is that?!

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Sorry what?
    On my phone (I have an HTC One M9, running android 5.1, Lollipop), under Settings > Phone > Sound and Notification > Volumes, I have three options:
    "Ringtone & Notification"
    "Music & Videos" (this includes games, and other apps that use sound, i.e. Google Maps)
    and "Alarms"....

So I can have the phone on silent, and still get my morning alarm clock going off.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Go ahead, try to slide the ringtone slider to the far left. I'll wait.

See that symbol? Your phone's on vibrate. It used to be that the far-left setting was silent, but Lollipop changed that. Now, the only way to completely silence your phone - including silencing vibration - is to press the volume button then choose "None" from the menu that pops up, which also silences all alarms.

Aha! I was just searching for corroborating posts, of which there are plenty, and found this: apparently Google added an 'Until Next Alarm' option in 5.1 following massive backlash over 5.0's behaviour. I hadn't noticed, 'cos I use my Pebble watch for alarms these days (specifically 'cos Android 5.0 broke alarms.)

Still not a patch on older Android releases: hold power button for a bit, choose Silent, alarms still go off. Much better!

8. MadGinga

Press the vibrate symbol, it changes to silent... :)
    Tbh, just setting the phone to silent (from the dashboard drop down thingy), and my alarms still go off...

9. Gareth Halfacree

In that case, that's something HTC has modfied - 'cos stock Android, on my Nexus 4, doesn't do that.

10. MadGinga

Sorry :(
    Its all I have to go on!

Kinda assumed that that sort of functionality would've been default...

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

HTC Sense is the best manufacture ROM. Running stock? Yet another indication of hacked! I'm running Paranoid Android 5.1 on my OnePlus One, gotta love having the variety of custom ROMs!

12. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Both my Galaxy S4 and S6 allow me to silence the phone and still have an active, loud alarm. Both are running the latest stock ROM's.