1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games you have never been able to complete without cheating

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 4 Sep 2015.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Time for another list thread methinks! Caused by my recent reminiscing of Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy. So:

Dark Conspiracy: The first mission alone was way more difficult than anything in the original game. I think that by level three I had pretty much abandoned all 'morals' and made all my units invincible. Even then, I think I still managed to fail some.

Warzone 2100: Started off easy enough, then suddenly you meet the New Paradigm in mission 5ish (I think), where they attacked your base. I managed to beat that mission without cheating, but then would get absolutely raped in the next. What made it so hard were the damn time limits on each mission. I kept using the cheat to destroy all enemy units, but this still left buildings and defensive structures intact, and even then it was still a challenge!

Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries: I had to skip two missions in this. The first was when you were escaping from a prison camp in a hovercraft - I would go to the nav point but nothing would happen. The second was some sort of dropzone assault - there were constant explosions that I couldn't figure out how to avoid and resulted in the eventual wearing down of my Atlas.

Heavy Gear 2: Absolutely fine up until the last mission, in which the fudging laser drones would quickly tear me to pieces. I found that by tipping forwards and strafing backwards at the start, I could noclip through the wall and pick off the little b******s from a distance, before re-entering the area. Come to think of it, it was a really crap mission to end what had been quite a fun game.

Share yours!

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Fantasia on the Megadrive! Never tried any cheats but there were many many attempts made to complete the game. Probably the hardest game I've ever played. At least none other springs to mind.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Tomb Raider III.

The third India level, the entire Pacific section and of course the Arctic, good luck getting anywhere without a guide. Plus that mother effing invincible spider-alien mutant with the one hit kill attack in the final level. Made the dragon in TR 2 look like a walk in the park.

Dear God you gave me a flashback, I think 2100 can rate itself as the legitimately hardest RTS ever made.

Aggressive AI, strict time limits, stricter unit limits and those ever vulnerable aerial transports that the second half of the game almost entirely hinges on. I never finished it either.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Ever since I used cheat codes for Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines and ruined the game for myself I vowed never to cheat in video games again.

That said, I've never played Unreal without using cheat codes, ever! Not because I found it too difficult but because I never actually found the game to be that great to play and have never really bothered to play it though properly, I just use the cheats for lulz. Stuff like spawning in a tonne of Nali and blowing them sky high with the Eightball.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2015
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Never used cheat codes but I have resorted to guides to help if some situations have left me tearing my hair out (if I had any). I'll only look fully at a guide after I've completed a game fully once though, just to fulfill my austistic need to find and/or do every single thing that I feel I have to.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Forgot about console games! There are a few I never completed as I forgot to look up cheats (we're talking PS1 era).
    I think a game needs to reassess its difficulty when even with cheats it's still difficult to beat! I did manage to complete it with cheats, but in the last mission I remember having to basically spam the 'kill all enemy units' cheat for most of it.
    Ah, that's another one! I'll be buggered if that was even remotely possible to complete without cheats.
    Some games (like Resident Evil 1 and 2) are just plain impossible to complete without guides. Why the hell am I looking for a bishop to stick into a socket on a wall to move some book cases again?

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

SiN and Ground Control (final mission only)...

SiN, I got bored/confused with the prison and underwater map, slapped on god mode and away we went. Regret doing it though, damn fun game!

Ground Control: The last mission just beat the crap out of me time and again. So many enemies to tackle! Hell, even if my AA Terradynes were invulnerable, that would have probably been enough as the enemy air units wreaked havoc amongst my ground units.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

That makes two of us! Well actually, what happened was that the game always crashed as I was being turned back into a human.
    That one took me a few goes, and I didn't have many units left by the time it ended. I recall keeping bombers with nukes in store specifically to delay the first couple of waves (which where then shredded by anti-air). I'll tell you what was the most annoying thing - the enemy artillery. Watch as your force (which probably took you an hour to get there) is decimated in a few seconds. And that was on easy.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Plenty of the original tomb raider games need a guide. Newer titles in that series are pretty easy in comparison with limited routes to go.

There's plenty of games you can make hard for yourself. People say ff8 is one of the easier ones. Try playing no junction game and come back and say that. So many tough fights and you can't just out level them as they scale to your level.

And since you can't card exploit them its a very tricky game. No level up is easier you card all enemy's and bosses don't give xp.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

11. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Super Mario Brothers 3 - "cheating" inasmuch as I played it on an emulator where I could save any time I like.

How many hours did I spend playing it "properly" back in the day? Way too many. I even reached the final level (wooden tanks etc) but failed to make it all the way through to the bitter end.

12. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

World of Warcraft, completely uninstalled that **** after fainting from exhaustion... :)

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I wish there were cheats for the first two batman games as I got stuck on a boss level in each and couldn't progress and I was really enjoying the games, I'm not much of a button basher/beat em up player.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The Lost Vikings, had to skip a few levels due to the platforming being too hard to string all together. I've seen the final level done on YouTube and there was no way I was ever finishing that.

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hovercraft I remember bumbling round for a while and somehow triggering the dropship it was way of the nav marker though.
    Vaguely remember the drop zone one ended up keeping one mech with me an bombing off round the nav points to find some artillery thing. May have to dig it out and see if I can get it running to.

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Serious Sam 2

Simply couldn't finish the last battle it without cheating, the rest of the game was mean in places but manageable, just not the final battle.

17. Strudul

Strudul ~

It's not that I couldn't complete them without cheating, just that I haven't tried not to.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Abused the invincibility glitch.

GTA - Always activate cheats and spawn vehicles.

18. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

I made that mistake with FFVIII when I first played it in 1999. I was only 11 years old, and a bit naive. I barely listened to the tutorials, but even if I did I still doubt I would've known that the junction system is so important. I got stuck on the Sorceress Adel boss fight at the beginning of disc 4. Bought the game again 10 years later and finally completed it with a game guide.

EDIT: I cheated loads in GTA 1 and 2. It was too difficult for me otherwise.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

GTA III - That final mission where you've got to get down by the dam and start with no weapons.. Always died, so just spawned in a tank.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Darksiders 11 The bosses and there were many were for the most part ridiculously hard and I cheater on most of them. Apart from that I really enjoyed the game and I am not a fan of hack and slash type games.