1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield: stay with 3 or go for 4?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Yadda, 12 Sep 2015.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I like BF3, it's probably been my most played game since I got a gtx580 early last year sometime. The problem is that BF4 is currently on offer on Origin (£16 for BF4 Premium or £7.50 for the bare game) and I'm tempted.

Would you go for it?

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm probably slightly biased seeing as I have over 2000 hours in this game (same goes for 2 and 3).

I enjoy it, yes there are problems, yes there are hackers but to be honest I just ignore them and have fun (apart from making the odd semi humorous comments at their expense).

If you decide to buy it just don't get drawn into the EA/Dice suck/ OMG your using that weapon/ hackusations attitude and you will probably have fun :)

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers. In BF3 I sometimes read the in game chat for tactical pointers during a round but never get involved in arguments. I don't even know the key to press to type a message, lol. I'm sure I've been insulted hundreds of times but simply haven't seen it. :hehe:

I was thinking more from a general playing perspective and especially a hardware perspective - I'm guessing the demand on the CPU in BF4 will be similar to BF3 but with only 1.5GB vram I imagine I'll have to opt for medium/high settings (as opposed to the maxed-out settings I currently use in BF3).

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Well maybe a small input but here you go. I really enjoy BF4 but something has me over BF3. I enjoy both but find BF3 more of a pleasure to play.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If spending 16 pound isn't going to make a huge impact on your life then I'd say you might as well give it a go.

The main problem with 4 is that most games end up incredibly one sided. Like there is zero balancing. I don't recall if this was an issue in 3 or not.

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Collecting money is my main hobby so I try and hold on to as much of it as I can! :D

I'm not 100% sure but in BF3 I think the team balancing is done by the server admin.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

BF4 is good value for £16 with all the extras.

But it's not a replacement for BF3 TDM and Grand Bazaar conquest, plus the AN94 is better on BF3.

I think it's very much a case of having both rather than one or the other.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I was afraid someone would say that. :)

Edit: I'm sold. If it's still on offer when I'm next on the PC (tomorrow), I'll get it. Cheers folks.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2015
  9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That's interesting. What is it that you prefer about BF3, or is it a general feeling that you can't put your finger on?

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I feel like BF3 overall was a better experience, for me it played just right and had a good balance (eventually). I loved the close quarter's maps and grand bazzaar was epic. I felt the weapon balance was decent and maps in general were fair. But i think i simply had the most fun playing it.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I see that hardline is also down to 23 euro. Thats what it should have been from the start. Don't have the time to invest in another game these though :(

12. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

I haven't enjoyed the series a massive amount since Bad company 2, as I'm sure many will agree, but for £16 it's definitely worth a punt.

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Blimey. It's a bit good.

Just hopped it for a quick look around (the test range is a useful addition for configuring settings) and hopped into Metro for a quick comparison. It looks very pretty but what's happened - the council's really let the place go! :eeek:

So far the old PC seems to be coping quite well. 1080p, all settings on "high", 2x msaa, the other AA off, motion blur off, vertical sync on was perfectly playable and used a max of just under 1.5GB vram and 3.6GB system ram (according to Afterburner) although this might change as I explore bigger maps.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2015
  14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I went back to BF3, as have tons of other people, its just a better game. Mechanics just seem to work better/be more predictable.

You know that thing where you shoot someone, reg a whole clip into someones head and they bunny hop off?

If that makes your blood boil don't buy BF4.

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That is mostly solved, even the slow firing UMP is a reliable weapon now. Although for reasons unknown all the attachments have been nerfed to the point where the best way to run a gun is sight+laser and nothing else.

The new thing is called 'dusting' and it's the same thing, but with explosive shells and rockets against vehicles.

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I really should consider firing up BF3 again. It's been too long and too much CS.

17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Paper bullets? Yes, I won't be happy if that happens too often.

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Really enjoying this so far and I've only played one map! I had a good blast with it last night and have had no paper bullets yet (with controlled bursts at least). I managed a 4:1 ish k/d ratio in one of my early attempts, which was nice (cue RL goose-stepping around the room while ranting about the inferior enemy in a German (yes, don't know why either) accent). :D

One thing that I find is a big improvement over BF3 are the coloured smoke/flares or whatever they are (I need to do some research). They really add to the chaos and confusion. At one point I was watching it all unravel at medium range through my 4x scope and it looked crazier than a box of frogs. I like the fact you start with medi-packs too, and have to unlock the full-blown medic's bag.

Graphically, I've kept most things on "high" (to keep the vram overhead as close to 1.5GB (actually 1536MB) as possible without exceeding it) but I have raised the mesh quality to ultra. I can get away with HBAO on Metro (steady 50-60 fps with very occasional dips down to low/mid 40's) but may have to lower it to SSAO - or disable AO completely - for larger maps. It seems to be the best and easiest way to bump the framerate up.

For anyone with a ye olde PC like me that might be interested, with my current settings on Metro 2014, BF4 uses a max of 1519MB vram and ~3700MB system ram.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2015