1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please will someone explain to me why we (the free world) are not stamping hard on IS

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pete J, 12 Sep 2015.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm not comfortable with folk being "rubbed out" in drone strikes but as soon someone identifies themselves as a combatant then I suppose they're fair game.

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

who actually won the long term goals of WW2? have a good think on that , then look at the last few years....

3. walle

walle Minimodder

War is business at the end of the day and nuclear war would be bad for business, besides, nuclear fallout doesn't know nation borders. But who knows whats truly going on in these peoples minds, there's 7 billion people on this planet maybe they feel there's plenty of people around who cares about a few million dead right.

Yeah they aspired to the Nordic look and encouraged German officers to breed with Norwegian women and Himmler created what he called "lebensborn". I think much of the madness started after they realized the war would be lost.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2015
  4. walle

walle Minimodder

The system always tries to make the killing as effective and detached and clinical as possible. Drone strikes are perfect for that, you sit with a joystick watching a screen, I suppose it becomes more of a video game where you go for the high score.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I don't suppose they're much different than guided missiles in that respect.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

For the record, I'm against this :D

It usually isn't black and white and even if it is, the decision should still undergo scrutiny. Killing your own citizens, no matter how Fed up or evil they may be, is still a serious business and shouldn't be taken lightly. Eternal vigilance and all that...

I hope your talking about ISIS and not the Irish :D

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think that you are correct to an extent, but drone pilots are still incurring PTSD, so its not effective or isolation wasn't the intent behind drone use. As with all things I think that drone use is a simple matter of numbers. I would guess the drones and their infrastructure are cheaper to build and deploy than training pilots, building their planes and deploying the lot to whatever country is next on the list for getting a dose of "freedom".

8. walle

walle Minimodder

They've managed to do away with the smell of battle, the noise, the fear but not the visual component. I guess that in future we'll see more automated drones.

9. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

10. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Robot Jox had the right idea........

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To answer the thread title:

Because, hopefully, someone has realised that a war against a guerilla group like IS doesn't go so well, costs more than it's worth, and in the end does sweet **** all anyway.

I'm also scared that the suggestion of nuking vast amounts of the middle east to kill a few fundies is being brought up in "serious".

Why not nuke London to kill off those pesky pick pockets. Or how about next time there's a murderer in a small village we just nuke the village?

Nuclear weapons are horrific things, and the suggestion that we use them is unbelievably stupid. Honestly, nuclear disarmament should have happened a long time ago.

Let's not get into "Kill a few million to make sure we killed a few thousand" territory, eh?

What're we supposed to do about IS? I don't know. Are we supposed to carry on using drone strikes even though some British citizens have been swept up in their ******** propaganda? I don't see why not.

Still, that said, there needs to be better target acquisition standards so they know what they're shooting at first. Although, I'm not sure a trial is strictly the way forwards. To get to that point you'd need to deploy boots on the ground, and that puts their lives at risk for the sake of extracting a handful of brainwashed idiots. I'm less comfortable with that than I am the other option.

12. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

It's all about money at the end of the day, someone somewhere will be using this for financial gain. More barbaric problably = more cash.

For all our "evolution" we have just swapped brawn for money.

Westerners just so happen to be at the top of the pile, everyone in this country is responsible for the misery of others, it's not so surprising they dislike us so much.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I don't think the operators think that in the slightest. Apparently the atmosphere in a drone control room is quite sombre. I think you would treat games a bit differently if every enemy you killed was actually a real person.
    Hah! Planet Irish!
    Cost (money wise) shouldn't come into it. But I hate the fact that it does.

And yes, nukes are not a real option. They are a deterrent at best.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IMO that's part of the problem, maybe if, instead of just getting on with their lives they took a more active role in society and who governs them we (western world) wouldn't feel compelled to intervene in their affairs.

For me personally that's a big part of the problem, real change comes from within.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I agree with you strongly, but it's one thing to tell someone to do it when you're many miles away, and another to actually be the person stuck in the middle, with a very horrific punishment awaiting you for daring to go up against them.

That IMHO is why we have the UN, to help those who are in these situations.

16. walle

walle Minimodder

I was thinking more long term effects, I would not necessarily have connected drone operators with PTSD either before theshadow brought it to my attention.

But you could be right here, the environment is not as jacked up and as you said, the control room will be more somber.

In any case I'm not comfortable with drones being used.

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Looking at current german politics, i would say... Arabs & muslims ?

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The problem with that is (afaik) the United Nations is primarily a peace keeping organisation, not a peace making one.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

And they, largely, dont do that all that well either.

20. walle

walle Minimodder

They are made toothless by the existence of sovereign powerful nations there to tell them to get out of the way.