1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Moving from retail work to a software supplier advice!

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhydian, 12 Sep 2015.

1. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

So I've recently been offered the opportunity to work at a long-running local business that supplies software to educational/voluntary establishments and large businesses.

Its only a trail and that starts on Monday for an apprenticeship position. I've only ever worked retail/sales so even with a techy kinda background I feel as though it's a big leap sideways.

Do you guys have any tips, or experience that might help me adapt and impress?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Be keen, and friendly. Honestly, you can train most people for most jobs and generally speaking, people just want someone who works hard and gets along with the team.

3. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I surely hope so, because looks like a very cool place to work from what I heard.

4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I worked in retail for 7 years before I got the job I have now. The one thing you will find is that sales experience does come in handy when dealing with awkward people.

5. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

This.

My decade+ in retail before getting back into Engineering is the only reason my supervisor still has teeth.

6. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Well first day went well, chilled but professional workplace. Got to show off a bit but none the less seems like a nice place to work.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'm freggin jealous. Been in retail for a very long time and now absolutely hate it.

8. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Kovoet, I thought the same would happen to me. I have no technical qualifications so it's like how do I even start?

It is of course a lot of luck, but also I find me CV has worked wonders. I changed it a couple months back and it's so much shorter just over half a page. And it just tells the employers, this is where I've worked, here are my skills and relates to the job.

Since I changed, I went to the job center every week with 2 interviews or more. Even retail on a cruise ship.

I'm no expert in finding a job, but I know for a fact if an employer can pick up a CV and know in the first minute who you are and get their attention then it works.

9. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I stuck it out for pretty much 8 years. I've even experienced retail on the commercial side of things and that was just as bad.

The problem with customers is the expectations they have on you as a sales person and the company they are buying from. Sadly I used to work for Curry's and they were not very flexible when it came to customer service and dealing with returns. Thats when you found people became very awkward.

In the end I just grew to hate it generally. Store manager wouldn't give me a full time contract, would always put me on the 11 - 8 or sometimes working beyond 8pm if the store needed merchandising for a big promotion. Pressure to sell extended warranties and Norton Internet Security.

In the end I just gave up and did so little work I was given 3 options, give a months notice, leave there and then or be put o a 6 week improvement plan.

I gave a months notice and to be honest it was the best thing I ever did.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I'm looking now but don't want to jump into another fire. Even thinking of becoming a driver but that's not easy anymore as you've got so many courses to do for that now

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

11. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

So absolutely loving it there, signing my Contract on Monday.

Already made my own little cloning area, and learning the ins and outs of MS Azure. The views from the window are pretty stunning as well, looks right over the sea.