1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Friend cant activate his forum account

Discussion in 'General' started by isaac12345, 17 Sep 2015.

1. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Hi all!

I told my friend yesterday about the bit-tech forums and she wanted to join. She made an account and verified it via email but still cant reply to post or start a new thread. Its been over a day and its quite unusual for forums. She gets the following message -

"you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Have the bit-tech forums stopped receiving any new accounts? Or does it generally take a few days?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Kindly ask her to check again?

3. Laura

Laura What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem. Yesterday afternoon I registered and was not able to do anything. i also got message about me having no permission to access the page. However, in the morning I received an email (even two) about my accoutn being activated.
    So, I think your friend should just check her email.

MODERATOR EDIT I will not post spam links in my posts again or I will be banned

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Sep 2015
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Do remember, the forum is run by humans who have other jobs. We try to get to all accounts and posts as soon as possible, but sifting through 100 spam accounts a day to find the real ones takes some time.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone What's a Dremel?

I noticed my posts need to be approved by a mod, is this all posts or just from new members, if so how long before we're trusted? :p

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Ten posts :)

I cleared down 220 new accounts in the wee small hours of this morning. Five were legit.

7. Cyclone

Cyclone What's a Dremel?

How do you tell if an account's legit, or is that a trade secret? ;)

also thanks for approving me!

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

God, brutal. We really need auto checking software.

Not a trade secret. We check, email, names, and username against an online spam database. Some applications are just obviously spam too, like if you see a sign up with the name 'sexysarah69' from a Russian IP, with the email address adkljfagsdagsga@mail.ru then that's three red flags right there.

9. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

REally??!! My god if I were you I would track those duckers down and punch them in the face! What do people get out of making spam accounts on forums?

10. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Very little, they either post spam links with some fake story that all members recognise and either get spotted by a mod or reported then removed, or they are trying to gain access to sales forums to scam but with the post count requirements this isnt the easiest thing ever.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This makes me seriously not miss the lofty days when I was trusted as a Mod on these 'ere forums

The new members list is the worst U-bend of humanity.

EDIT: Nexxo, i'm still pleasantly surprised you actually let me in.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Sep 2015
  12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

One agree's, with the clearing of new user applicants - i cant belive this is still going on.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I see a lot of other forums had updated their message board to cut down on spam.

Bit-tech seems to be overdue an update? Perhaps this is the reason for so many spam accounts?

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I know from personal experience what a drudge it is to skin Vbulletin and add in the mods these guys run here. If you didn't add in the mods, or worse, they weren't available in the newest version, it'd change the user experience.

So while the admin and moderator tools are likely a heckuva lot better, you're going to run into a heap of technical issues getting it going and plenty of users complaining that they don't like it!!