1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin Media Superhub, blinking traffic light issue help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Leesy1, 10 Sep 2015.

1. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

Up until two days ago my Virgin Media Superhub Traffic light on the right side was a constant blue when I'm not using the pc etc (PS I only have the PC and tablet connected to the network. They are off at night. Plus I'm not in modem mode and my phone is on 3G). Link below to show the hub :

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

I noticed that night an irratating flickering light in my room. I got up and checked the router and the light was constantly blinking. It hasn't stopped since. I turned the power off to see if that made a difference but it doesn't. Virgin Media said it doesn't matter if it's blinking or not.... Though in my eyes if pc etc is not using it, it should be kept to now and then maybe at most. Plus at the back of my head I'm thinking maybe someone else is piggybacking but I think that's extremely u likely. I have a good router password etc.

I have found some info on the Virgin Media forums linked below :

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Set-up/Blue-traffic-light-flashing-constantly/td-p/2554414

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5...on-superhub-continually-flashing/td-p/2847838

I can't find the other threads on the tablet meh.

From what I can understand from those threads (I took System Analysis instead of Networking at Uni. Hindsight a mistake sigh) they are saying it's the router waiting or looking for data for me...

The thing I do not understand is why after three years of mostly being solid blue and not being a nightime blink machine when Im trying to sleep is why it has started in the last 3 days /shrug. What are peoples thoughts on this?. Is this a non issue and everything is fine?. I want it to go back to normal lol. Do any other Virgin users have this or have had there router suddenly start to do this. Am I going to have to put some blu tak or tape over it? I presume that's fine to do?

Thank you for any help.

Lee

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Funny you might say; I've noticed recently that mine is constantly blinking blue, which I don't think it did a few weeks ago.

Having had other problems with it (I spent two hours diagnosing my NAS only to find it was the "super"hub knackering the traffic) I've started to ignore it and just assume any problems or issues are due to it being junk.

If you're concerned about people piggy backing, you can get a list of connected users in the menu somewhere.

3. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

I checked the router menu and it seems it's all ok (touch wood). I think I will need a small piece of tape or blu tak
    if it wants to blink constantly at night :).

Thank you for your reply,

Lee

4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I'm on my mobile arm so don't have a link, could this be due to virgins recent initiative to provide wifi access piggy backing off customers domestic connection.

There was the ability to opt out but it meant you were unable to take advantage of the service when out and about

5. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

They might be doing a FW update and pushing it or something on their end? You can just turn the superhub off at night if you're not using it.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you can but this is not recommended, as it can result in reduced broadband speeds, even on cable broadband

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I fixed this issue on mine by sticking some black tape over the lights. It's just something they do

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I just used some black electrical tape and taped a small square of cardboard over the offending lights (as said lights were managing to shine through the tape slightly!).

9. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

How?

10. saspro

saspro IT monkey

ISP sees router going offline regularly so changes the profile to increase stability.
    This results in a loss of speed as they assume the line can't take the current speed so needs a lower speed to be stable.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not noticed anything like that myself and my VM box has been switched off at the wall each night for the last 5 years.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

But if you turn it off every night how would you notice the difference? Try leaving it on for a week and see what happens, I'd be interested to hear the result. (Our VM line consistently hits the advertised speeds, but we leave it on the whole time).

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure I would notice the difference in speed, I'm on 30Mps and that's fast enough for me, maybe latencies in games could come down but I've never been to bothered by those as I get sub 20ms pings in TF2 (only online game i play)

14. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Mate, I recently moved onto the 150 Mbps service with VM and initially found my ping increased slightly following the update (Speed test and on some of my regular CS servers). I agree with you and would love to know the best cost/ benefits for gaming as people seem to simply be chasing Mbps at the moment. Would it be better to have a lower Mpbs (say 50) with an increased upload speed (ie 20-30) rather than my current (average download of 150 with an upload of 12).

Don't get me wrong its great for downloading movies and games, however this constant need providers seem to have of obtaining the biggest download speed while not concentrating on upload or ping may not be of much benefit to the actual consumer in either the short or long term (as a gamer) (and sorry to go a bit off topic).

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think it's to do with having wider market appeal, it's hard to get across why reducing latencies benefits people, and not many care about upload speeds, at least I don't think the majority of people do.