1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung reveals 950 PRO SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 Sep 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. ----jimbo----

----jimbo---- What's a Dremel?

Makes you realise how horribly outdated the ubiquitous S-ATA 3 is.

3. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Seems like a good deal at those prices.
    <sigh> Looks like it is getting close to the time for me to start upgrading to a new motherboard and chipset.
    My beloved overclocked i7 2600 may be on borrowed time...but not quite yet I think.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's not going to be long before we need heatsinks for our SSDs :)

I seem to remember seeing a thermal camera view of the SM951 and that got pretty toasty under sustained load, would 3D V-NAND increase or decrease temperatures?

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

At least it is a more subtle, black PCB but they should still have a shroud.

6. Vallachia

Vallachia What's a Dremel?

You are correct, but it is mainly the controller that will heat up under heavy sustained read/writes. Unfortunately with the M.2 form factor there is really no room for any sort of heatsink either.

The SM951 using the same UBX controller throttles badly in under 2 minutes:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8979/samsung-sm951-512-gb-review/11

Samsung claim that their improved thermal management algorithms prevent throttling under "normal consumer workloads" or some similar weasel-words. Someone will need to properly test it before we can know for sure.

I don't know if the change to 3D-VNAND would improve this, but I don't really see how it could.
    It is mainly the high-speed PHY (PCIe interface) that is responsible for the large power consumption increase of these drives over their SATA drives with the same 3D-VNAND.

Intel did not release an M.2 750 series NMVe drive precisely because of the thermal limitations of the tiny M.2 form factor.

Corky42 likes this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I wouldn't call it weasel-words, at the speeds those ssds are capable of even moving around blu ray isos is done too fast to cause it to seriously heat up.

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

they have to be under constant use to cause the slow down to kick in , these things are so fast most operations are completed in short time (bigger problem is more having a GPU above them running at high temp especially AMD cards due to target temps at 90c ish)

Tags: Add Tags