1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google releases Brotli compression code

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Sep 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

How whould it work even for static pages? You store and serve already compressed HTML files?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup, and they're decompressed on-the-fly by the recipient browser. It's already possible to do this in Apache and other web servers - with Apache you'd use content negotiation and MultiViews to serve up the pre-compressed content. Basically, this wouldn't really need any changes server-side: you could just install a Brotli binary and compress your static content automagically. It just needs browsers to support decompression.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Two questions: does it use middle-out compression; and what is its Weissman score?

:D

5. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

But you would still need to store the uncompressed files in case the client does not support Brotli, right?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Yup - or you could decompress 'em on the fly, I guess. Storage, though, is way cheaper than bandwidth. Remember that Google is an advertising firm: it creates one advert then serves that advert to a billion eyeballs. Doubling up the storage used by a 50KB advert in exchange for shaving 26 per cent off the bandwidth required by those billion impressions is a no-brainer - and makes the end-user happier, too, as the page loaded faster and they've used less battery and data allowance (both of which mean said end-user is now more likely to stay online and view even more adverts.)

7. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

No way it beats http://www.piedpiper.com/

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's never going to catch on, no one likes broccoli. :D

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I just love Gareth's use of 'automagically'... :D