1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus GeForce GTX 950 Strix Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 25 Sep 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

Thanks for the review.

The review says "The Asus GTX 950 Strix makes a convincing case that it's the best GTX 950 around, so if that's what you're after it won't disappoint. The trouble is that with pricing as it is, you may as well just step up to the R9 380 or GTX 960. "

Before reading that, I had similar thoughts. The price point is probably a little high.

Personally, I'd scrape another £100 together, and look for a 970 deal. I've seen some going for £250. I got a the MSI 970 here, and am very pleased.

3. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

confusing to associate the strix brand with lower performance?

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

To drop it 6% on value when there are better options, I think you should have hit the value score more. You can pick up 960 at the same price, and you can grab a 2gb 380 for £130. So why would you not step up in performance to a 960/380 and either pay nothing extra/save money?

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Maybe, although I think the idea is to associate it with higher performance, as well as higher quality components/cooling, relative to the series of the card. They've got 750 Ti and R7 370 Strix cards too, for example.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I can't be the only one who thinks the sub £200 GPU has become extremely poor value for money in the last 12mths or so.

The price/performance ratio seems way off compared to the last time I had such a card (Nvidia 760).

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea I get that, I just think the ratings are skewed. If it were perfect in the other areas it's value would make it a 94% score. I suppose it's because I'm one of those weird people that equates 50% to average, and since I see this as 'below average value' I think it should go below 50% on it's price score, which would knock it's score down to 71%. Yea you could argue that the components are better, but the components aren't poor on the other products so it feels a bit like diminishing returns. As it is, is it a nice card. Yea sure, but I think I'd never recommend it in light of the other products around.

I agree, though that 380 at £130 was a surprise. I suspect they are getting them in line with the new price point for the 380X release.

8. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Fair point on the scores. Though I always recommend people rely on the review, or at the very least the conclusion, over the scores - I think we're mostly in agreement on the product in question. Nice card, one of the best if not the best 950s you can buy, but not worth buying given the cost relative to competing products. I think the conclusion at least conveys that pretty clearly, if not the scores.

9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

If they had pitched this at £125, I think it could have been a viable 1080p option.
    I have twin GTX 960s, the Small EVGA ones which also switch off under certain temps, look awesome and overclock well and I paid £155 each for them.
    Just one of these stomps all over this card and yet with a bit of looking around they cost the same as this.
    Just not good value for money for me.
    www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gt...hz-gddr5-gpu-1216mhz-boost-1279mhz-cores-1024
    £149.87 delivered.
    I know which one I would buy if my budget was £150.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2015
  10. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Need more competition, in the past AMD had some great cards that were often both cheap and power efficient. The 370 is out of the ark, and while the 380 is newer it's still a gen old and was always a disappointment as it was really no better then the cards it replaced. They are both much bigger more power hungry cards then the nvidia competition so I guess it's hard for AMD to price them any lower. I bet nvidia could price their cards significantly lower if AMD actually had a strong card.

11. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Seriously I was hoping to get whatever GTX950 for one of my low budget systems, but still pricing is ludicrous. At this stage its better to get cheapest 960 over ridiculously expensive/performance 950. I was expecting the 950s to circle around (...doing calculations USD/GBP/EUR...) 115-120 GBP. Anything above is just daylight robbery.

My guess is that nVidia want to cash in on good chip the Maxwell is while they still can. And with first release of Pascal on the horizon price will go down like mad in this segment. Of course it doesn't change situation one iota that any 950 ATM is just insanely priced.

Tags: Add Tags