1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage The HP Micro Server Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tibby, 22 Nov 2011.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Gen 7 - N36L to be exact, although it uses the same memory as the N40L and the N54L, I believe.

No idea on the Gen 8

2. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Ah thanks,

My experience of servers is very limited but I think they changed the memory in the GEN 8's to ?? registered ?? I think which makes a difference.

I'll do some googling and check but the price seems very good. Nice find...

3. David

I think the Gen8 can use either Registered or Non-registered, from looking at the data sheet, but not a mixture of the two.

Perhaps Gen 8 owner can confirm?

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The Gen 8 uses ECC, but not registered.

I've seen confirmed reports of using non-ECC, but no mixing (which would go for anything)

I've just got to setting mine up, and was having fun with trying to get it to boot from a SSD in the optical port with the controller in AHCI mode (since I'm using storage spaces). After trying to work through it myself (and failing) came across this nice and easy step by step...

http://homeservershow.com/forums/in...d-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-3#entry67539

5. Mister_Tad

I've been and running with a 1265Lv2 now for a few days and pleased that there's absolutely no issue with temps or fan speeds with the stock heatsink, even when punishing it with transcoding.

The new CPU is actually running slightly cooler than the 1610T was initially, which is odd - suspect it's just a matter of making better contact, or perhaps slightly better TIM now.

So anyone looking to inject their G8 with a little extra get up and go, no need to be coy with the 1220Lv2 :thumb:

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Changed the thread title for all you HP Microserver lovers, since this has become a general discussion thread.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

8. Mister_Tad

One thing I never managed to figure out - in the case of the i3s, did intel just update ARK to say no ECC support, but it's still there, or has something been removed in current CPUs?

9. samkiller42

Been playing with ilo, Loving ilo. Installed ilo on my tablet, remotely turned the server on, and just grinned as it showed all the startup sequence wirelessly. Need to buy an actual sub now so i can update the Gen8 with the latest gubbins.

Sam

10. David

Will the Gen 8 support the i3-3220 then?

11. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Is that for the Proliant Service Pack? I have a copy of that if you want. Found it while skirting around HP's FTP sites.

12. samkiller42

I must admit, i'm not sure, Looking at HSS, Two people have managed to get standard looking i3's to work, Given the 3220 is a model between the two used, it wouldn't be a far fetched assumption that it would work.

Thanks, I've just managed to update everything after a bit of playing, and switching from Chrome to Edge, I now have:
    iLO Firmware Version 2.30 Aug 19 2015
    System ROM J06 07/16/2015
    System ROM Date 07/16/2015
    Backup System ROM J06 11/09/2013

That should do nicely. Now all i need are a few WD Red drives, an SSD, a BD Drive, and lastly, A SAS card with external ports.

Sam

13. David

Is ILO only on the Gen8? it sounds interesting.

14. Mister_Tad

I don't think there was ILO on the G7, but never did use one so can't be sure.

It's very interesting, and massively useful - I've never had more than a trio of network cables plugged in to mine (and power, that one is important too).

Note that once the OS loads ILO requires a license, either essentials or advanced. The base lets you remotely start, see stats and configure the BIOS. Without a top-up license you need to RDP (or whatever) once the OS loads. And you need to find a monitor if you need to troubleshoot a network/firewall issue.

15. David

Finally got my P410 RAID card yesterday, and I bunged it in the Microserver just now.

Much easier. It detected the three 1TB drives and asked if I wanted to set up a RAID5 array at POST. After that, I set up my 2TB drive as a single volume.

It built the array in seconds - OMV's software RAID5 took just under six frikkin hours just to build a blank array!

I'm copying across my files now and the CPU load on the microserver is much lower. All seems well :)

16. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I have had one of my G8's lose an iSCSI LUN after updating Xpenology, although I think that may be my fault for updating Xpenology with an standard DSM update. Live and learn

17. David

Yeah, thats the downside of the DSM software - it lets you know that there are OS updates available but you can't use them - you have to wait for the xpenology update.

18. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Yeah, I just need to get round to wiping the USB boot drive to start again. I wish I didn't delete the LUN before I realised what I ballsed up. So now I need to transfer everything from backups and rerun dedupe. Yay, fun times

19. samkiller42

Mines running nice and smooth, SSD for the OS, with a 2, 3 & 4TB populating the other spots, Will need more 4TB drives, and i most certainly need a quad Xeon.

Sam

20. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I highly recommend a E3-1230v2 if you can get one. I have had 6 WS12 VM running under load and barely scratched it. My biggest downfall is the lack of RAM. I will get a 16GB set at some point but compatible RAM is silly priced.